Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus: Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment

Default Re: Coronavirus: Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment

A more apt phrase would be about torturing numbers and extracting the desired meaning. I suppose conservatives have applied the same principle to words and meaning, in a true Orwellian fashion.

Default Re: Coronavirus: Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Perhaps you're more familiar with Fox News than I am, it wouldn't surprise me as I haven't bothered to pay for cable since 2015. Maybe you could educate me as to the travesty, the blight, that is the fake fox news reporting?
    Ignoring the fact that they would try to create a scandal if Obama sneezed, their coverage of the COVID19 alone is enough. Hosts like Hannity downplayed the COVID19 threat immensely. It was no surprise that there was more infections among Fox News viewers. Heck, they even went as far as saying that in the worst case scenario COVID19 was no worse than the common flu which is blatantly false.
    The Armenian Issue

Didn't take you long to get to "But Obama" on that one. And was that before or after every Dem msm outlet was calling Trump a racist for shutting down travel to China back in January?

Didn't take you long to get to "But Obama" on that one. And was that before or after every Dem msm outlet was calling Trump a racist for shutting down travel to China back in January?
    So, I should just ignore how Fox News treated Obama's presidency as a source of example when you were asking for examples? Interesting standards... Nobody called Trump a racist for shutting down travel to China back in January. Trump didn't even shut travel to China at any point. He simply enacted restrictions for foreigners. Citizens and residents could still travel between China and USA. That claim, that Trump was called racist for that, however, is an other example of fake news. I'm not sure if Fox News used it so openly like you though. Someone here tried that line of argument before and he had to use non-existent fake Chuck Schumer tweet to support it. So, yeah, wanna give it an other try?
    The Armenian Issue

No I'm really not that invested in this to be honest, at the end of the day it's so trivial. My expectations of both the government and any msm outlet are so low that I expect failure and lies as the default in definetely not going to waste my time trying to defend a news Network I haven't watched since the beginning of the last decade.

No I'm really not that invested in this to be honest, at the end of the day it's so trivial. My expectations of both the government and any msm outlet are so low that I expect failure and lies as the default in definetely not going to waste my time trying to defend a news Network I haven't watched since the beginning of the last decade.
    I'm sure that's the case.
    The Armenian Issue

I'll give it to you if it makes a difference to you: you win

I know you conceded out of disinterest, but it only took me a few seconds to find examples (1, 2) of liberal outlets complaining about Trump's European travel ban at a time when Italy was at the heart of the epidemic. There were also scores of articles (1, 2) complaining about the China travel ban which Trump introduced at the end of January. Around the same time Pelosi, aside from making a pig's ear of impeachment, was trying to introduce a bill which would limit the president's ability to enact travel bans (although that largely related to the falsely characterized "Muslim ban" of 2017).
    Last edited by Cope; May 07, 2020 at 03:31 PM.

You can also find things like the communazis at Media Matters accusing Fox News of fearmongering about coronavirus:
    https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-fri...ed-viral-video
    Last edited by Infidel144; May 07, 2020 at 03:37 PM.

It's not about winning. It's about acknowledging what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I know you conceded out of disinterest, but it only took me a few seconds to find examples (1, 2) of liberal outlets complaining about Trump's European travel ban at a time when Italy was at the heart of the epidemic. There were also scores of articles (1, 2) complaining about the China travel ban which Trump introduced at the end of January. Around the same time Pelosi, aside from making a pig's ear of impeachment, was trying to introduce a bill which would limit the president's ability to enact travel bans (although that largely related to the falsely characterized "Muslim ban" of 2017).
    You're being quite misleading. The two Guardian articles you link first hardly complain about the "ban". The second one, in fact, complains about the extend of the "ban" since it initially left out UK where infection was more widespread than many other EU countries where the "ban" would take place against. The other articles you link from Politico and CNN do not really complain about the "ban" with China either. They provide multiple viewpoints and also mentions praise for CDC's response whose director acknowledges some of the issues with the travel restrictions. All in all, none of these support the idea that the "mainstream outlet was calling Trump a racist for shutting down travel to China back" as he suggested. Your mentioning of Pelosi and the bill is just plain falsehood. The bill was introduced months before in response to Trump's travel restrictions against various African countries when not a single soul on Earth knew of COVID19.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    You're being quite misleading. The two Guardian articles you link first hardly complain about the "ban". The second one, in fact, complains about the extend of the "ban" since it initially left out UK where infection was more widespread than many other EU countries where the "ban" would take place against. The other articles you link from Politico and CNN do not really complain about the "ban" with China either. They provide multiple viewpoints and also mentions praise for CDC's response whose director acknowledges some of the issues with the travel restrictions. All in all, none of these support the idea that the "mainstream outlet was calling Trump a racist for shutting down travel to China back" as he suggested. Your mentioning of Pelosi and the bill is just plain falsehood. The bill was introduced months before in response to Trump's travel restrictions against various African countries when not a single soul on Earth knew of COVID19.
    I'm not going to go over the details of partisan news stories with you. Anyone who reads the stories can see my characterization of them is accurate (particularly Freedland's predictable frothing). As far as Pelosi is concerned, the issue was not her introduction of the bill (foolish thought it was), it was her refusal to pull after it became obvious that executive orders limiting international travel would be needed to limited the spread of C-19. The House didn't drop the bill until on or around March 12th, only days before the European travel ban was issued.

On the point about racism, it wasn't hard to find articles which openly associated the January travel ban with the administration's alleged racist attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by peoplesword.org
    The wave of false and inflammatory information and hostile gestures targeting Asian people in the U.S. emerged largely after the Trump administration declared a “state of emergency” and adopted restrictions on travel to and from China. The travel restrictions came after the World Health Organization released a health advisory that urged education and precaution, but concluded: “WHO advises against the application of any restrictions of international traffic based on the information currently available on this event.”

The Trump administration’s “state of emergency” should be regarded as a piece of more substantial and systematic hostility in its relations with China. This stance sparked a trade war and confrontational military actions in the South Pacific. Out of a racist and fascist playbook, the Trump administration frames its foreign and domestic policies in white nationalist terms, denigrating Americans of color and the world’s non-white people.

is there any reason, given Trump's performances of late, why the 25th Amendment has not been deployed?
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    is there any reason, given Trump's performances of late, why the 25th Amendment has not been deployed?
    I had to google that one. You'd need to get Pence on board to do that. But I kinda doubt he'll agree...

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

because for republicans winning the next election is more important than having a sane individual at the levers of power. Heh, actually that goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I'm not going to go over the details of partisan news stories with you. Anyone who reads the stories can see my characterization of them is accurate (particularly Freedland's predictable frothing). As far as Pelosi is concerned, the issue was not her introduction of the bill (foolish thought it was), it was her refusal to pull after it became obvious that executive orders limiting international travel would be needed to limited the spread of C-19. The House didn't drop the bill until on or around March 12th, only days before the European travel ban was issued.

On the point about racism, it wasn't hard to find articles which openly associated the January travel ban with the administration's alleged racist attitudes.
    Your characterization is hardly accurate. You're being very misleading. It's strange that you'd single out Freedland's article when it was mainly criticizing Trump's illogical pick on which countries to restrict travel with. Pelosi's bill wouldn't automatically eliminate any of the restrictions. It simply opens them up to scrutiny. Perhaps, if it wasn't dropped it could ensure that UK along with other European countries would be included in the restrictions and that it would be an actual ban.

You're really clinging to straws, aren't you? We're talking about mainstream media allegedly calling Trump's EU travel "ban" racist, yet, all you can find is an outlet like People's World that most people wouldn't have heard before while the article doesn't even call the travel "ban" itself racist.
    The Armenian Issue

Because when the Civil Rights Era permanently enshrined in our laws that "public" included black and brown people, the majority of Republicans were no longer interested in the public good, or the public sphere, or any concept of shared prosperity. They have convinced themselves that as long as those they hate are suffering more than they are, they are winning.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    because for republicans winning the next election is more important than having a sane individual at the levers of power. Heh, actually that goes both ways.
    There is unlimited humor in the fact of just knowing that the people who are calling Trump mentally incompetent are the very same people who support Joe Biden for President.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There is unlimited humor in the fact of just knowing that the people who are calling Trump mentally incompetent are the very same people who support Joe Biden for President
    bingo

its ironic that 3 years ago the idea that Trump might have dementia and might be mentally unfit to be president was a big deal for like a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    There is unlimited humor in the fact of just knowing that the people who are calling Trump mentally incompetent are the very same people who support Joe Biden for President.
    If there was more than "unlimited", it would be what it says about how mentally competent the people calling him mentally incompetent are, when those people lost...

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    If there was more than "unlimited", it would be what it says about how mentally competent the people calling him mentally incompetent are, when those people lost...
    I didn't lose, he is quite literally not my president. It is blindly obvious to grown ups that the man is falling apart, I mean, injecting bleach? Really? And all those shambling and incoherent announcements on the progress made to counter the epidemic? Not fit to continue.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.