Page 1 of 124 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess the movie from the screenshot.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guess the movie from the screenshot.

Guess the movie from the picture!

GENERAL RULES

- One person posts a picture/question/riddle with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture/question posted or solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly then posts their own picture/question/riddle within 24 hours.
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, that the person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture/question/riddle (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot).
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, to post a hint every 24 hours if no one tried to guess it or in any case did not guess it right.
    - Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question/riddle isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question/riddle says that anybody can take his turn.
    - While no correct answer has been given, the member who posted a puzzle can pass their turn at any time. If after 2 weeks no answer has been confirmed as correct by the poster, any member can override the active puzzle by posting a new one. The staff/administration of TWC will at this point judge the validity of any outstanding answers to the superseded puzzle.
    - People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff

- Flinn

Greetings, fellow movie fans!
    It's time for some fun for us here. I'm launching a new game where members can post an image from a movie, then the others can guess it - the first one with the right answer will get rep and the chance to post his own picture, it's simple as that.

So, I'll start with the first one, then it's up to you to guess it!

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Guess the movie from the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Sorry, the above was a rushed answer, I did not read Mhaedros' answer and it is the correct one.
    General Brewster was the first to suspect it and mention the title, so he gets +1 rep.
    He none the less narrowly lost victory because he was superficial with my first hint.
    Mhaedros gets it, Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker it is.

PS:
    And I have a buggy internet connection, so be lenient with my tardy responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Brewster very much deserves both the victory and the rep here, please post the next pic Brew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Yeah I was hoping he would post, but we've been waiting for days, and we all knew he was right already 2 days ago!

Everyone is sad?
    I was kinda hoping that y'all would get it. As I set it up perfectly

Anyway, I will oblige and thanks for the rep.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Hateful 8

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Nope.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Chaplin

Ok, guys, please forgive this interjection but I feel I have to disseminate certain thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Which is why people should pick clear images, not intentionally pick unclear images to prove a point.
    The images were clear, they were taken from a Blue Ray quality video and I sharpened them some more before and after I downscaled them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    There's a line between requiring all pictures have faces and posting intentionally obtuse images.
    "Absolutely, I totally agree" was my first, superficial thought on this.
    Thinking about it just a bit longer, it seems to me that it isn't so much of a line as a broad swath of a grey area.

But let's suppose that it is a line, for the sake of a working hypothesis.
    Where exactly is that line?
    And I mean exactly.
    Who decides which image is "obtuse" and whether and/or when that was done "intentionally"?
    By what criteria?

And let us not forget there are graduations of obtuseness and ambiguity.
    When is an image so "obtuse" that it is "obtuse" enough to be disqualified?
    Are we to require the presence of a "gamemaster", or that such a person vets the images before they are posted?
    With what criteria and how cumbersome would the game become?

Don't think for a moment that I just came up with the questions above, merely to counter your post.
    I was thinking about this for some time now.
    I proposed all images to have faces because that is a simple and unambiguous criterion.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Ok, guys, please forgive this interjection but I feel I have to disseminate certain thoughts.

The images were clear, they were taken from a Blue Ray quality video and I sharpened them some more before and after I downscaled them.

"Absolutely, I totally agree" was my first, superficial thought on this.
    Thinking about it just a bit longer, it seems to me that it isn't so much of a line as a broad swath of a grey area.

But let's suppose that it is a line, for the sake of a working hypothesis.
    Where exactly is that line?
    And I mean exactly.
    Who decides which image is "obtuse" and whether and/or when that was done "intentionally"?
    By what criteria?

And let us not forget there are graduations of obtuseness and ambiguity.
    When is an image so "obtuse" that it is "obtuse" enough to be disqualified?
    Are we to require the presence of a "gamemaster", or that such a person vets the images before they are posted?
    With what criteria and how cumbersome would the game become?

Don't think for a moment that I just came up with the questions above, merely to counter your post.
    I was thinking about this for some time now.
    I proposed all images to have faces because that is a simple and unambiguous criterion.
    There is no way to make absolutely crystal-clear criteria here, it is up to the poster's own judgement and this has worked for a long time. The image should be in some way identifiable as coming from a certain film. This doesn't necessarily have to include a clear face, if I were to post a picture of Mount Doom exploding the vast majority of people here will instantly recognise it. Of course it doesn't have to be as obvious as that but it should at least be a clear shot rather than a blurry action frame.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    There is no way to make absolutely crystal-clear criteria here, it is up to the poster's own judgement and this has worked for a long time. The image should be in some way identifiable as coming from a certain film. This doesn't necessarily have to include a clear face, if I were to post a picture of Mount Doom exploding the vast majority of people here will instantly recognise it. Of course it doesn't have to be as obvious as that but it should at least be a clear shot rather than a blurry action frame.
    I think it is even more a judgment call than this though, as I distinctly recall a couple rounds where the image was in fact a blurry action shot, but from a movie so iconic that it was still guessed rather rapidly (what comes to mind is one image from Aliens which was a weird shot of a flashlight's beam inside a pipe). I think it is mainly the responsibility of the current puzzle giver to be sensitive to the feel of the room. Sometimes people are having a ball throwing out guesses, and sometimes we get snippy. Just respond to how the crowd is feeling, and there shouldn't be any need to ever implement "rules". Besides, rules are lame
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Fallen?

Ok, guys, please forgive this interjection
    No. Instead of developing your arguments after your first complaint (or contacting the staff to help you solve the problem, or discussing the rules of this game somewhere else ...) you decided to sabotage this game to teach us that you wre right having us three days hanging around like idiots. Because we didn't pay enough attention to your suggestion. Wtf dude?
    Last edited by mishkin; April 17, 2020 at 03:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    The Giver?
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Fallen?
    Neither of the two lads.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Escape room?

Blog Entries

Chaplin
    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Escape room?
    Not even close lads.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

The Giver?

Challenging each other's visual memory is always going to be tricky. As long as the poster takes pics from a movie that is internationally recognisable and stays active until it's been guessed is fine by me.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

FWIW to my mind the ideal shot is one that’s hard to guess but when the answer is revealed most will realize they now remember it precisely. If it’s super easy to guess, that’s not much fun, and if it’s so hard to guess that even some one who has seen the movie can’t remember it after the title is revealed, where’s the fun in that? It should be like a good mystery - hard to figure out but once revealed seems obvious.

Maybe we should start giving rep when someone comes up with a really good one.
    Last edited by chriscase; April 17, 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

That exactly how the game should be played, Chris. The fun for me is in picking an image that's both obvious enough that someone could guess it, but tricky enough that it might take them a couple tries to get it. There's no fun in picking an imagine no one will guess, in my opinion. I love the moment of realization when it's clear you should have known all along .

As for the rep, people are supposed to rep whoever gets the correct rep so that's sort of moot I think? Unless you mean repping the person who posts the image? In which case, why not? The more rep the merrier.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Gremlins?

Blog Entries

It is not.

Fargo

Blog Entries

No.

It's a movie I think most of y'all saw, from the 90s.