Thread: Viking Invasion save .... issues

Default Viking Invasion save .... issues

I'm having strange problems when I load up savegames from Viking Invasion. (It seems not to affect the Early, High, or Late campaigns, just the Vikings one.)

What will happen is hard to describe, but I will get to the campaign map, except I don't actually have control of my faction. I can view a seemingly random collection of provinces, including provinces far away from my own faction, but I can't select any armies or agents.

This only happens on loading a save *after* I have shut out of the game.

For example, last night I started up a campaign as the Irish. Played for about an hour, everything went fine. I saved, then reloaded the campaign to check if everything looked ok, and it did. Then I reloaded today and had the problems described above.

Also, this *may* be related - sometimes - not always! - when I start up a campaign in Viking Invasion, none of the generals or royal family will have names. It'll just say "King ", for example. I can play fine, but found that odd.

I do have a couple of mods, one of which adds a separate campaign using the VI map, so I'm wondering if that is somehow related. The other mods also offer different campaigns, but I think I have them installed on a separate version of the game.

Anyway, long shut, but any ideas?
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Viking Invasion save .... issues

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    I'm having strange problems when I load up savegames from Viking Invasion. (It seems not to affect the Early, High, or Late campaigns, just the Vikings one.)

What will happen is hard to describe, but I will get to the campaign map, except I don't actually have control of my faction. I can view a seemingly random collection of provinces, including provinces far away from my own faction, but I can't select any armies or agents.

This only happens on loading a save *after* I have shut out of the game.

For example, last night I started up a campaign as the Irish. Played for about an hour, everything went fine. I saved, then reloaded the campaign to check if everything looked ok, and it did. Then I reloaded today and had the problems described above.
    The MTW-engine strike me as both unreliable and unstable in terms of performance. The VI/v.2.01-engine is notorious for repeatedly generating "corrupt-saves" (V.1.1 seems slightly better on this). Especially when using "fast-saves" much... Regular saves seems to fare somewhat but they are nowhere close to fail-safe either. In short, the engine as such is sub par performance-wise in these regards. For comparison and general reference, the fairly contemporary game UT2004 hardly ever generates any errors ever, despite what you do. In contrast, its just damn fine and solid craftsmanship (and it shines thru in terms of performance, which almost never fails to function). My guess its probably about corrupt saves in your case here as well...

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Also, this *may* be related - sometimes - not always! - when I start up a campaign in Viking Invasion, none of the generals or royal family will have names. It'll just say "King ", for example. I can play fine, but found that odd.

I do have a couple of mods, one of which adds a separate campaign using the VI map, so I'm wondering if that is somehow related. The other mods also offer different campaigns, but I think I have them installed on a separate version of the game.
    It can be one of many reasons for it, but its likely to be mod-related... Probably due to some mod-files are not properly formatted or in various conflicts with the original files somehow. Or possibly both at the same time. Regardless, its "name"-related somehow... So I would look into and check everything (all files) connected to that...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 28, 2020 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Clarity...