Thread: [SUBMOD] Beacons of Gondor - different approach, for Rohan

Default [SUBMOD] Beacons of Gondor - different approach, for Rohan

Hi everyone,

Although it's my second post I've, been reading this forum for a nice few years.

Lately I've decided to take some different approach on Beacons of Gondor script. All scripts I've seen spawned an army with random general, and then after fight all units were disbanded. I didn't feel any bond with those soldiers
    So I've change it a little bit - when Minas Tirith is under siege, once per 10 turn you will receive message if you want to aid Gondor. If you accept, Eomer and Theoden (I've also made some changes in descr_strat, but it's irrlevant now) will be relocated near Minas Tirith with their armies (if one of them should stay, he just need to hide in a settlement). So before you accept, you have to adjust their armies and decide, which of your units should go and which should stay - and you can only use units near Eomer's or Theoden's movement area. You can help with full stack or just with Eomer for example - you are helping with the troops you had paid for and you are risking your king's/heir's life. So you might be more cautious...

I've checked the code several times, no crashes at all.
    I wrote this thread to ask more expereinced members if they see some improvements - most annoying thing for me is that you need to hide your general in a settlement if you don't want him to go. I guess you could change it by making new events, but thats a thing I wanted to avoid.
    Second thing are movement points - you can't use all with your general while preparing an army, as you won't be able to attacked after accepting beacon. Any ideas how to restore movement points after teleporting near Minas Tirith?

Thanks in advance!

Here is how the script looks like, it's very simple ;P
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    declare_counter beacon_timer
    set_counter beacon_timer 0

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType milan
    and I_CompareCounter beacon_timer >= 1
    inc_counter beacon_timer 1
    end_monitor

and I_CompareCounter beacon_timer >= 10
    set_counter beacon_timer 0
    end_monitor

and I_SettlementUnderSiege Anorien
    and I_SettlementOwner Anorien = sicily
    and DiplomaticStanceFromFaction sicily = Allied
    and I_CompareCounter beacon_timer = 0

add_events
    event counter lit_beacon_accepted
    event counter lit_beacon_declined
    end_add_events

historic_event lit_beacon true factions { milan, } event/beacon_lit.bik

end_monitor

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; accepts beacon ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

monitor_event EventCounter EventCounterType lit_beacon_accepted
    and I_EventCounter lit_beacon_accepted = 1
    reposition_character Eomer, 242, 130
    reposition_character Theoden, 242, 132
    set_event_counter lit_beacon_accepted 0
    set_counter beacon_timer 1

historic_event rohan_aid factions { milan, } event/ride_charge.bik

end_monitor

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Beacons of Gondor - different approach, for Rohan

This is from the perspective of the Rohan player, I am trying to think of all the ramifications here. If you were to use Eomer or Theoden there is a great possibility they will lose many hard earned traits and ancillaries they may have earned up to the point that so it may be best to keep the general a random one. I will have to think on this when my head is a bit clearer.

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Beacons of Gondor - different approach, for Rohan

Thank for your reply. Just to clarify - it won't change or delete any of the traits and ancillaries, I've checked it.
    Only ramifications should concern your main startegy, as both your generals will be... teleported - for example, in my Rohan campaign, when the event pop up I was at war with OoMM, advancing on Moria. Mordor started to siege Minas Tirith, so I had 2 options - either i will end my war with Orcs but probably MT will be lost and my east side of my kingdom become vulnerable to Mordor's army. Or I will send some units, take part in the battle but I will had to delay my final attack.

The script I proposed isn't perfect, but it works for now.