Thread: Long time DeI player tries AE for the first time... :/

Icon4 Long time DeI player tries AE for the first time... :/

I've actually been following the development of AE for a very long time, and I recall trying the DeI submod years ago and trying the battle only packs. I have only recently got a gaming PC again after a decent absence from gaming and so I have only just tried the proper Ancient Empires campaign yesterday.

I've tried a few factions and looked at the new unit rosters and building systems and had a few hours of campaigning with the supply -lines submod. I've had a couple of end of turn crashes, but nothing serious that persisted after a restart.

Anyway I KEEP ON LOSING! Or at least NOT WINNING. I can't steamroll anything! I empty the royal coffers to hire a fantastic army to conquer the world just to find that the bastards actually need paying! They cost a hell of a lot more on campaign than sitting on their arses! I can win every battle yet feel like I'm losing the war.
    The pike units act like the temperamental units they historically were, they either obliterate the enemy directly in front of them (if they can actually make bloody contact!), or break up in seconds if flanked - I can't magic them into formation in a split second, they need to maintain good order and form a proper battle line to be effective.
    The shieldwall and phalanx mechanics in Attila certainly add more depth to battles compared to Rome...Cavalry actually get tired if they run around everywhere! Especially when wearing heavy armour.
    The political system is a lot more nuanced than the simplistic Rome 2 variant too and so matters of a courtly nature often actually affect generalship and strategic choices...
    I'm barely holding on to whichever little kingdom/tribe/nation I have decided to try out barely scraping through to the next turn, it's very stressful!

And I absolutely love it! It's brilliant! It captures that feeling that you can only read about in history books, really displays why say for example Phyrrus of Epirus would not be able to take advice from a time travelling videogamer and cheese-win Rome!
    Sorry guys I'm not a particularly great wordsmith and so I find it difficult to express how unique, challenging and brilliant this mod is! The sheer amount of work put into the mod by you guys and all of your contributors is nothing short of PHENOMENAL! Please continue to update and perfect it! It can only get better and better! Thank you AE team!

My only criticism for the time being is that I think melee marine troops should be buffed to be much better than ground troops, well trained marines on a combat ready war ship should be able to decimate a flimsy transport vessel full of unequipped, frightened ground soldiers.
    At the moment, even though auto-resolve appears to work well, actual naval battles with marines vs transports seems to end up with the marines being slaughtered after being bordered by a large force of gimpy militia or the likes. I'm sure a lot of stuff is hardcoded, for example you cant make transport ships as vulnerable as I think they should be. I'd like to be able to defend my coast from doomstack armies on boats using a navy. I want transport vessels to be completely useless in combat. In an ideal world, transports would't even be able to use ranged attacks.

TL;DR - I've spent a few hours trying out the smaller, more difficult or 'less typically interesting' factions that usually lack the attention given to major factions like Rome and I had a bloody fantastic time! I can't wait to try Rome and Carthage!
    Last edited by NeptuneUK; April 18, 2020 at 06:17 PM.

Default Re: Long time DeI player tries AE for the first time... :/

Excellent "review." This has inspired me to give it a try. I just figured it wasn't fleshed out and didn't even think anyone was still working on it.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

If a population and logistics system was added to AE it would be the greatest mod of all time

Agreed 100%

Joysong's Avatar Miles

Cool review Neptune'S. that's exactly what we were aiming for.
    ;
    Campaign modder - Culture/AI/BAI - DB Editing

Any tips on dealing with Integrity early on? Playing my first play through as Suebi Confederation and struggling with it. I am a long time DEI player.
    Also, how come i don't have any formations in battles other than the standard 3 line? Is it tied to reforms or tech tree stuff? What i mean is there is no bear or wolf formation, among all the others. or am i just missing something?

agree

Great review, totally agrees.
    Less is more