View Poll Results: Should more new units be added to the mod (even if it messes with in-battle voices)?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! More units would be great!

23 67.65%
  • No! I don't want my line infantry shouting "Revolutionary Guards!" when I click them.

11 32.35%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

The_Lord_Snow's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

Hi, everyone. Version 1.3 of the mod has been released today! This will be the final version for some time, as I am taking a break from modding Empire: Total War for now. Enjoy!
    Lead (and only) Developer of the Succession Mod for Total War EMPIRE

Just discovered your mod. Looks promising. As a long time player of Darthmod overhaul, I'm just curious what should I expect in changes? There's a couple of things that I love in Darthmod and I'd love it if you could tell me if yours also have them. It would make my decision to switch mod much easier.

First thing I love in Darth mod is that all faction are playable. I love to have choice. But more than that, Darthmod has a custom campaign in which you start with the 13 colonies on the map, new spain, both are protectorate of their country of origin, there's also emergeant factions like Bavaria, Saxony, Quebec, Genoa, Hungary and so on. Does your mod have all of these?

Secondly, I love that in Darthmod you can choose to have 8 canons per unit instead of 4. It means that instead of 2 units of canon, you can have one and get one more infantry unit on the battlefied.

Thirdly and most importantly, I love the variety of units. I'd say there's even not enough of them, for I think a lot of them should be AOR yet you can recruit them as a foreign country. That would be a big, big plus, if you have many different units.

But I hate a couple of things too. Like the ing Dagestan bug where it submits every small countries in the world and they all become its protectorates. Or the diplomacy. You conquer 3 territory and already you have a lot of countries hating you because of your expansion. Would be good if the expansion penalties only apply when you conquer countries in Europe, and not elsewhere. And that the penalties of conquering territories in America or India should only apply for countries historically impacted, like France, England, United Nation, Spain, Portugal, Native Americans and Indians.

Anyway I'm going to wait for some of your feedback before trying it out. Looks promising though!
    Last edited by R.P. Gryphus; October 21, 2021 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDA ⬤ SHINGEN View Post
    Just discovered your mod. Looks promising. As a long time player of Darthmod overhaul, I'm just curious what should I expect in changes? There's a couple of things that I love in Darthmod and I'd love it if you could tell me if yours also have them. It would make my decision to switch mod much easier.

First thing I love in Darth mod is that all faction are playable. I love to have choice. But more than that, Darthmod has a custom campaign in which you start with the 13 colonies on the map, new spain, both are protectorate of their country of origin, there's also emergeant factions like Bavaria, Saxony, Quebec, Genoa, Hungary and so on. Does your mod have all of these?

Secondly, I love that in Darthmod you can choose to have 8 canons per unit instead of 4. It means that instead of 2 units of canon, you can have one and get one more infantry unit on the battlefied.

Thirdly and most importantly, I love the variety of units. I'd say there's even not enough of them, for I think a lot of them should be AOR yet you can recruit them as a foreign country. That would be a big, big plus, if you have many different units.

But I hate a couple of things too. Like the ing Dagestan bug where it submits every small countries in the world and they all become its protectorates. Or the diplomacy. You conquer 3 territory and already you have a lot of countries hating you because of your expansion. Would be good if the expansion penalties only apply when you conquer countries in Europe, and not elsewhere. And that the penalties of conquering territories in America or India should only apply for countries historically impacted, like France, England, United Nation, Spain, Portugal, Native Americans and Indians.

Anyway I'm going to wait for some of your feedback before trying it out. Looks promising though!
    Thanks for the kind words, Takeda! I do have some disappointing news, but you've inspired me to perhaps implement some of these changes in future updates when I return to modding.

1. The mod currently unlocks only Denmark and Portugal as playable factions, but I was planning to expand it to at least a few other medium powers in Europe as well as the colonial nations and major Native American factions.
    2. 8 cannons per unit is something I never thought about, but I love the idea. I might work on that in the future (maybe 6 per unit for balance).
    3. The mod definitely adds a lot of new units from around the world, and many have an AOR system implemented. Most western factions can only recruit their line infantry and elite units in their home regions (I believe Prussia is an exception since they historically absorbed the Saxon army after conquering them in the 7 Years War) and there is a unit cap based on historical regiment numbers. This is meant to add depth and choice for both the player and AI since foreign regiments will inevitably be required to extend each faction's reach across different theaters.

Now for the good news!
    1. Dagestan bug is nowhere to be found in my mod. I have seen factions become protectorates, but usually only after a lengthy war drains their military and economy. They'll usually accept patronage of a stronger ally or the country that beats them.
    2. Territorial expansion penalties are substantially less of a problem. They mostly apply to the faction that lost the region. The diplomatic penalty for being at war slowly goes away to around a -10 cap to model the growing desire for peace as a war goes on. This encourages the AI to make peace with the player and other factions. I've even seen the Mughal-Maratha war end in my campaigns!

I do hope you give my mod a try. Happy conquering!

I most certainly will! Thank you!

batty1234's Avatar Civis

This is hands down one of the best mods for ETW right now. It keeps the original feeling of the game but improves so much, including line formations in battles, the campaign AI and the textures of units.

One bug report I have though is that when playing as Britain, there is a visual/graphical bug for the regiment of horse units on the ultra setting. As I typically always play Britain this is fairly immersion breaking for me. Is there any way I can quickly fix this?

Thanks again for your continued hard work.

EDIT:

It actually looks like every nation that has the regiment of horse has this issue with its model, not just Britain. It only happens on ultra and does not happen on high for unit detail.
    Last edited by batty1234; October 25, 2021 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batty1234 View Post
    This is hands down one of the best mods for ETW right now. It keeps the original feeling of the game but improves so much, including line formations in battles, the campaign AI and the textures of units.

One bug report I have though is that when playing as Britain, there is a visual/graphical bug for the regiment of horse units on the ultra setting. As I typically always play Britain this is fairly immersion breaking for me. Is there any way I can quickly fix this?

Thanks again for your continued hard work.

EDIT:

It actually looks like every nation that has the regiment of horse has this issue with its model, not just Britain. It only happens on ultra and does not happen on high for unit detail.
    Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm so glad you are enjoying the mod so much.

I have noticed a graphical glitch with one of the Regiment of Horse models as well. The rider's shirt seems to get stretched in a weird way. I always thought it was a vanilla bug since I only know how to edit textures and not models. Have you seen the same bug playing vanilla or another mod?

batty1234's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm so glad you are enjoying the mod so much.

I have noticed a graphical glitch with one of the Regiment of Horse models as well. The rider's shirt seems to get stretched in a weird way. I always thought it was a vanilla bug since I only know how to edit textures and not models. Have you seen the same bug playing vanilla or another mod?
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will take a look and see if I notice this graphical bug with the vanilla regiment of horse models and report back.

batty1234's Avatar Civis

I checked the regiment of horse units with the ultra setting and you are correct, it is a vanilla bug. I guess I need to learn how to modify models to get it fixed!

Hi, what program are using for editing textures? And also I saw units from Imperial Splendour early version in pack file, are these units available in your mod like can you train them? Btw can you add also custom artillery models in your mod in upcoming version? Btw I made mini mod which changes skins of naval ships, if you like it, you can use it in your mod. Here is the link https://www.moddb.com/mods/more-accurate-naval-skins

Quote Originally Posted by Lada97 View Post
    Hi, what program are using for editing textures? And also I saw units from Imperial Splendour early version in pack file, are these units available in your mod like can you train them? Btw can you add also custom artillery models in your mod in upcoming version? Btw I made mini mod which changes skins of naval ships, if you like it, you can use it in your mod. Here is the link https://www.moddb.com/mods/more-accurate-naval-skins
    Hi Lada97, I use Paint.net and Photoshop to edit textures. The IS textures and models are left over from before I released the mod for personal enjoyment. I do not use them in the released mod and the IS units are not available for recruitment in Succession.

Your naval skins are excellent! Great work!

Hey there! Just downloaded your mod, but I have small issue. Like most people, I only ever played with Darthmod which come with its own launcher. But I read in your first post that I need to active your mod through a mod launcher. Could you provide a step-by-step on how to get this launcher, for me but also other people wanting to try something different and less buggy than Darthmod? That would be awesome. Thank you. Cheers!

Well a quick search on google got me this link. Didn't know a mod manager was needed for this game. The link to the mod manager : https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=51014

Can't ssem to be able to activate your other pack files though. https://zupimages.net/up/21/44/vs0x.jpg

And when I try to launch the game with only these activated I get this error : https://zupimages.net/up/21/44/xh6n.jpg

And when I check the "all pack types", I can see them all but I don't have any box to check.

I tried another mod manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/twmodmanager/), and I still get the same error message. Tried the version 3.0 and 2.0.
    Last edited by R.P. Gryphus; November 01, 2021 at 01:02 PM.

Sana Kan's Avatar Libertus

Hey Lord_Snow, got back to playing Empire with your great mod and having lots of fun (again). Just one thing though...as the Netherlands, I can't recruit Colonial Line Infantry. Is this intended? Thanks!

So no one can tell me the secret to have the mod manager to work?

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDA ⬤ SHINGEN View Post
    Can't ssem to be able to activate your other pack files though. https://zupimages.net/up/21/44/vs0x.jpg

And when I try to launch the game with only these activated I get this error : https://zupimages.net/up/21/44/xh6n.jpg

And when I check the "all pack types", I can see them all but I don't have any box to check.

I tried another mod manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/twmodmanager/), and I still get the same error message. Tried the version 3.0 and 2.0.
    Hi Takeda, some of those files (I think the localization, textures, and battle sounds) do not require mod manager activation. They are technically patch pack files. I don't recognize that error code, but I would recommend deleting the scripts file in your AppData/Roaming/User/Creative Assembly/Empire folder. That tends to do the job when there are mod-related issues at startup!

Quote Originally Posted by Sana Kan View Post
    Hey Lord_Snow, got back to playing Empire with your great mod and having lots of fun (again). Just one thing though...as the Netherlands, I can't recruit Colonial Line Infantry. Is this intended? Thanks!
    Glad you are enjoying the mod, Sana Kan! Looking through my mod's files, I did purposely remove them from the Dutch roster. I believe it was a choice based on historical accuracy; it doesn't look like the Dutch really raised colonial regiments and instead shipped regiments of Dutch soldiers and Marines to their colonial holdings. The Dutch were mainly interested in securing trade posts, so apart from V.O.C. troops and sepoys in India they didn't rely on locals to form professional fighting forces. In the mod, this gives the Dutch player an incentive to build a strong and advanced navy to coordinate troops movements across multiple theaters, as well as to "build tall" by having a realistically small but well-trained army accustomed to fighting wherever Dutch commerce is at stake.

That's only based on my research, though. So if it turns out there were colonial regiments in the Dutch army during the period I'd happily reintroduce them!

Sana Kan's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the mod, Sana Kan! Looking through my mod's files, I did purposely remove them from the Dutch roster. I believe it was a choice based on historical accuracy; it doesn't look like the Dutch really raised colonial regiments and instead shipped regiments of Dutch soldiers and Marines to their colonial holdings. The Dutch were mainly interested in securing trade posts, so apart from V.O.C. troops and sepoys in India they didn't rely on locals to form professional fighting forces. In the mod, this gives the Dutch player an incentive to build a strong and advanced navy to coordinate troops movements across multiple theaters, as well as to "build tall" by having a realistically small but well-trained army accustomed to fighting wherever Dutch commerce is at stake.

That's only based on my research, though. So if it turns out there were colonial regiments in the Dutch army during the period I'd happily reintroduce them!
    Awesome Lord_Snow, thanks for the detailed reply! I thought I had messed up my gamefiles, since I use Absolutum Dominium with your mod (and imo your research and design choice make complete sense, considering dutch colonialism during ETW's timeframe)

Quote Originally Posted by Sana Kan View Post
    Awesome Lord_Snow, thanks for the detailed reply! I thought I had messed up my gamefiles, since I use Absolutum Dominium with your mod (and imo your research and design choice make complete sense, considering dutch colonialism during ETW's timeframe)
    Anytime, enjoy!

Hi I am new , is it compatible with darthmod or vanilla?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast