View Poll Results: Should more new units be added to the mod (even if it messes with in-battle voices)?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! More units would be great!

23 67.65%
  • No! I don't want my line infantry shouting "Revolutionary Guards!" when I click them.

11 32.35%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

Vanders's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

I've been looking for an updated overhaul. I just reinstalled Empire and there's too many mods in various states of completion to sift through. Thank you!

Any chance Austria could be changes to HRE?

Are there any small mods you recommend in addition to yours?

The_Lord_Snow's Avatar Civis

Hope you enjoy the mod, Vanders! I did consider renaming Austria "Holy Roman Empire", but it would make it a little funky if Austria becomes a republic!

I recommend combining Succession with the Vanilla Units Enhanced Mod by BavarianGrenadier if you want early/mid period uniforms for your troops (Succession includes an optional late era texture pack), General Andy's Musket Sounds, Durango's Interface Enhancement, and maybe an environmental improvement pack if your PC can handle it.
    Lead (and only) Developer of the Succession Mod for Total War EMPIRE

Those Swedish textures aren't particularly accurate. They seem to be more of a edit to the vanilla textures?

At the moment I am trying to make some new textures for the Swedes for the Seven Years War (along with some new 3d model uniform items) but the Swedish uniform didn't change much since the GNW, so when I get these textures properly in the game I could let you have them when I am done? The issue though is that I can't figure out how to export the textures properly into a DDS format that doesn't make all white objects glare. Seriously, its like the belt and breeches are mini suns.

I've added new textures into NTW, but the same compression settings just don't seem to work for Empire and I'm at the end of my tether trying to figure it out. I am convinced it all has to do with the Gloss Map as when I use the gloss map of other mods' units the glare goes away for the most part, meaning that there is an issue with one or both of the other textures as well.

Can you give me an idea on what export settings I am supposed to be using? There are no tutorials in the mod workshop that help with this and the thread that was linked to the most years ago doesn't exist any more.

Hey Merlin5790, thank you for trying the mod! So far only a couple of Swedish units have been re-textured, with plans to add more in future patches. I use Project Seven Years War as my main source, as that conflict was the most defining of the period (with the exceptions of Great Britain and the United States, which I based on later uniforms).

The Swedish line infantry textures are based on a generic Seven Years War Indelta Regiment uniform (yellow shirt, white gaiters), as opposed the the vanilla texture having a blue shirt and black gaiters. It's not quite perfect since the Swedish coats seemed to lack lapels and the ETW line infantry unit has them by default.

The Swedish light infantry are based on the foot Jäger companies with their Russian green coats and yellow turnbacks.

I gave Sweden a new base color as I thought the vanilla was too saturated. It's about the same shade as the Swedish uniforms in Napoleon: Total War.

I'm pretty new to textures, but I have learned a few tricks for circumventing the visual glitches that come with modding them. The gloss map always seems to be the kicker. I've never been able to successfully create and implement a new one, so I always create a copy of an existing similar gloss map and use that instead. I would ask the developer of Absolutum Dominium, as he seems to have a lot of success in creating new models and textures.

The uniform you have used is similar to the uniform the Swedes introduced in 1765, after the Seven Years War. The uniform the swedes used during that war was basically the same uniform the Caroleans used in the GNW.

Below is the comparison between the unit I am working on and your one. You can see the issue I am having with the brightness of the yellow and whites. I am starting to get the distinct impression that everything white needs to be more of a grey colour. The Euro Musician 2 model and texture is the better one to use, but you'd need to get Ultimate Unwrap 3D (and its plugins) to delete the second coat model to stop the other coat being used, not to mention the texture work required after that to get rid of all the Musician lacing

My coat is a heavily modified Euro Musician 2 Coat and its textures are completely remade as well (minus the faces and hands and anything like the ammo box).

Last night I was tinkering with the 3d model and it seemed to reduce most of the glare. Now I just have to keep trying to get the texture settings right. Just wish there was some tutorial that was still up, or at least an explanation of the compression settings and which one should be used for the different texture maps

Sana Kan's Avatar Libertus

Amazing mod Lord_Snow! Loved the tweaks to the campaign diplomacy.

Btw, I downloaded Absolutum Dominium, that reskins a lot of units and adds new ones, I think it fits your mod perfectly. Too bad I'm failing at making both mods compatible with each other (some units have no names and the like).

But anyway, outstanding mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Sana Kan View Post
    Amazing mod Lord_Snow! Loved the tweaks to the campaign diplomacy.

Btw, I downloaded Absolutum Dominium, that reskins a lot of units and adds new ones, I think it fits your mod perfectly. Too bad I'm failing at making both mods compatible with each other (some units have no names and the like).

But anyway, outstanding mod.

The units are still working in game? They just don't have any names? Thats a somewhat easy fix. You'll just have to add the unit names into the localisation file for whichever mod you load in first.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin5790 View Post
    The units are still working in game? They just don't have any names? Thats a somewhat easy fix. You'll just have to add the unit names into the localisation file for whichever mod you load in first.
    Thanks Merlin, I just did exactly that! Working perfectly now.

Glad you are enjoying the mod, Sana Kan! Cheers!

By the way Lord Snow, do you plan to add more stuff? Would you consider unlocking some of the larger "minor" nations for the grand campaign? Sometimes a danish or persian campaign can be pretty fun lol

Hey Sana Kan, it's definitely on the agenda. I had some difficulty unlocking minor factions (after testing it with the Cherokee). If I can get it to work, I am planning on unlocking Denmark, Portugal, Persia, the Mughals, and Venice. They're interesting factions that were in the decline during this time period, but with a savvy leader they can rebuild!

Cool Lord Snow! Actually, I tried tinkering with the startpos, but the EsfEditor kept bugging on me. And my skills in modding are, well, mediocre.

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and Lord_Snow, please nerf the Marathas lol. Maybe adding one or two factions to India (like the Punjab) to even things there and stop indians sailing to America

Hey Sana Kan, hope you are enjoying the mod! I'm surprised to hear the Marathas are venturing out of India! The Marathas received a new campaign manager that makes them focus on their starting theater and stick to recruiting armies instead of fleets. I also buffed the Mughals' starting forces to slow the Maratha steamroll. Succession campaigns are designed to be less predictable than vanilla, so the Marathas may have had a few strokes of luck that led to their rise in power during your campaign!

In most of my campaigns (especially Great Britain) I make sure to trade with the Mughals at game start to provide them with some economical support against the Marathas. Then, when my European and North American ambitions have been achieved, I can either open up a front against the Marathas or Mughals, depending on my current tech level and who is winning their ongoing conflict.

Since I started Succession, I've actually seen the Mughals come out on top! And one very, very, very surprising (and satisfying) occurrence where the Marathas took a respectable chunk of southern India and made peace with the Mughals!

Version 1.0 coming soon! With the campaign AI and battle effects complete, it's time to shift focus to units.

Foederatus

Hello Lord Snow. I have decided to fire up ETW again and wanted to know if you can play as Denmark on this Mod? Many thanks.

Foederatus

Duplicate
    Last edited by RickyVilla262; October 16, 2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate message

Quote Originally Posted by RickyVilla262 View Post
    Hello Lord Snow. I have decided to fire up ETW again and wanted to know if you can play as Denmark on this Mod? Many thanks.
    Hey RickyVilla262, hope you enjoy the mod! There are plans to make Denmark playable in a future update, along with several other interesting factions. I've had some trouble unlocking factions in the grand campaign, but once I figure it out, you'll be able to create a Danish empire! I believe they are playable in custom battle as of the most recent version as well!

EDIT: I figured it out, and the Danish are coming in the next update!

...along with the Portuguese!
    Last edited by The_Lord_Snow; October 19, 2020 at 07:26 PM.

Version 1.0 Released! Denmark and Portugal square up as new playable factions in the campaign!

Great mod man, loving your work

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast