View Poll Results: Should more new units be added to the mod (even if it messes with in-battle voices)?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! More units would be great!

23 67.65%
  • No! I don't want my line infantry shouting "Revolutionary Guards!" when I click them.

11 32.35%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

The_Lord_Snow's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

Quote Originally Posted by EmiGeVe05 View Post
    Hi I am new , is it compatible with darthmod or vanilla?
    Hi EmiGeVe05, it is vanilla/definitive compatible only as far as I know. I've never tested it with Darth's mod, but I'm under the impression we modded a lot of the same aspects of the original game (AI, units, morale, battles, etc.), just in different ways. His is more of a sweeping enhancement of the game while mine is strictly a historical immersion project. I'd encourage you to try both!
    Lead (and only) Developer of the Succession Mod for Total War EMPIRE

Well hello, everybody.

I didn't know whether I'd be back at work on the Succession Mod, but here I am. And I have a little winter teaser for you all, inspired in no small part by EU IV...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    Well hello, everybody.

I didn't know whether I'd be back at work on the Succession Mod, but here I am. And I have a little winter teaser for you all, inspired in no small part by EU IV...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is really great! Love the attention you have given to Portugal! Do you have an ETA on next update? Also, is this compatible with Absolute Dominium? I believe that is mostly reskins and new units, but it comes with new startpos so I'm afraid it might not be. Thanks and keep up the awesome work 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Kapanth View Post
    This is really great! Love the attention you have given to Portugal! Do you have an ETA on next update? Also, is this compatible with Absolute Dominium? I believe that is mostly reskins and new units, but it comes with new startpos so I'm afraid it might not be. Thanks and keep up the awesome work 
    Thanks for the kind words, Kapanth! The next update with national traditions should be out this month or early February after I add them to more factions. Some new units and textures are coming as well.

I haven't tried running my mod with AD, but I would imagine the unit models are compatible. Additionally, the new units might not have custom names and descriptions since I use a unique localization file. That being said, I've been meaning to try AD for some time since it's the best looking unit/graphics mod I've ever seen. If I have time I can test their compatibility soon.

Thanks for the kind words, Kapanth! The next update with national traditions should be out this month or early February after I add them to more factions. Some new units and textures are coming as well.

I haven't tried running my mod with AD, but I would imagine the unit models are compatible. Additionally, the new units might not have custom names and descriptions since I use a unique localization file. That being said, I've been meaning to try AD for some time since it's the best looking unit/graphics mod I've ever seen. If I have time I can test their compatibility soon.
    I've tried it and it seems to be running fine with your startpos instead of the one that comes with AD, I had to delete one of their files regarding portraits because it caused problems with durango's portraits, but otherwise seems fine, only tried a couple turns with Portugal, and I am also using additional mods for smoke and blood effects and sound working fine. I will do a short campaign with Portugal, I just need to edit the victory conditions, I find a little steep 25 regions for short campaign as Portugal, I might reduce that to 15 or 20. I also wanted the prestige victory conditions to work for Portugal but I can't seem to be able to turn it into a major faction, at least the country does not appear on the prestige list. Don't know if you can give any input about it? Thanks

Icon5 Re: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

How does everyone feel about the inclusion of Bohemia (and its replacement of Greece) as an emergent faction? I wanted to utilize the unused Czech voices and introduce a brand new faction to the game, but I'll admit I am starting to miss Greece. I could further diversify the unit roster for the Greek Rebels faction to make them a little more interesting (in addition to the new Armatoloi aggressive skirmishers). Any feedback?

I've tried it and it seems to be running fine with your startpos instead of the one that comes with AD, I had to delete one of their files regarding portraits because it caused problems with durango's portraits, but otherwise seems fine, only tried a couple turns with Portugal, and I am also using additional mods for smoke and blood effects and sound working fine. I will do a short campaign with Portugal, I just need to edit the victory conditions, I find a little steep 25 regions for short campaign as Portugal, I might reduce that to 15 or 20. I also wanted the prestige victory conditions to work for Portugal but I can't seem to be able to turn it into a major faction, at least the country does not appear on the prestige list. Don't know if you can give any input about it? Thanks
    Update: It's not fully compatible, it works but as you said, there are missing descriptions and even missing building names. Also when playing as Portugal, when I got new ministers, they came with a blank portrait, don't know if that is related. I will attempt a clean install and only use some parts of your mod to see if it becomes more compatible.

I think it's a good idea for you to include Bohemia.

Update: It's not fully compatible, it works but as you said, there are missing descriptions and even missing building names. Also when playing as Portugal, when I got new ministers, they came with a blank portrait, don't know if that is related. I will attempt a clean install and only use some parts of your mod to see if it becomes more compatible.

I think it's a good idea for you to include Bohemia.
    Ah, that makes sense. AD has an excellent portrait mod incorporated in it, which I think requires a custom startpos.

Thanks for the feedback on Bohemia and the Portuguese campaign! You're right; 25 regions is excessive. I'll tune it down in the next update. I like having them a minor faction and could remove the prestige rank requirement for the Prestige Campaign. Instead they might get special victory conditions for their historical ambitions. We shall see...

Ah, that makes sense. AD has an excellent portrait mod incorporated in it, which I think requires a custom startpos.

Thanks for the feedback on Bohemia and the Portuguese campaign! You're right; 25 regions is excessive. I'll tune it down in the next update. I like having them a minor faction and could remove the prestige rank requirement for the Prestige Campaign. Instead they might get special victory conditions for their historical ambitions. We shall see...
    Yes, I believe those changes to Portugal are essential. I think I managed to make your mod compatible with AD, at least the localization issues, I managed to learn how to merge both and delete the duplicate entries, and so far, the little testing I did seems to be working, there are no more missing descriptions or names, as you can see in the attachments. I also send you the loc file for you to test, and check yourself. The portraits of new ministers continue to appear blank, so that must be something with the startpos as you said, I will investigate, but it might be out of my capabilities. Thank you, and keep up the good work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220124210637_1.jpg   20220124210626_1.jpg   20220124210622_1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

batty1234's Avatar Civis

I am glad to hear you are back working on your mod. I like having Bohemia. One of the issues that I have run into is having Prussia basically be super passive, and Austria dominating the European continent. Poland gets wiped out really quick also.

Quote Originally Posted by batty1234 View Post
    I am glad to hear you are back working on your mod. I like having Bohemia. One of the issues that I have run into is having Prussia basically be super passive, and Austria dominating the European continent. Poland gets wiped out really quick also.
    Interesting, what faction are you playing as? That's unusual compared to my testing. I tried to make the campaign more dynamic so the same wars don't constantly occur in every campaign, but I usually see Poland expand into Sweden's Baltic regions and sometimes Finland if they take Ingria before the Russians. Austria can either dominate the Ottomans or get tangled up in succession wars with France and Spain.

I did pacify Prussia a lot because they were historically not a very belligerent country until the reign of King Fredrick Wilhelm. Prior to that they were a close friend of Austria and mostly sort of a "big scary threat" to the weaker German states under Austria's protection. The Silesian wars of the mid-18th century turned Prussia into the military juggernaut we know and love them for. My vision was for Prussia to build up it's military over time until a diplomatic spark drags them into a war with Austria and/or Poland. In one of my mid-game tests they invaded Saxony around 1750 and ended up conquering much of Poland and the northern Austrian territories.

Yes, I believe those changes to Portugal are essential. I think I managed to make your mod compatible with AD, at least the localization issues, I managed to learn how to merge both and delete the duplicate entries, and so far, the little testing I did seems to be working, there are no more missing descriptions or names, as you can see in the attachments. I also send you the loc file for you to test, and check yourself. The portraits of new ministers continue to appear blank, so that must be something with the startpos as you said, I will investigate, but it might be out of my capabilities. Thank you, and keep up the good work
    Done; the Portuguese campaign received a nice overhaul. The region requirements have been reduced by 10 for each campaign. The prestige campaign will be centered around dismantling the Dutch colonial empire. Portugal and the Netherlands were serious rivals in the late 17th/early 18th centuries, and the Dutch possession of Ceylon had just been conquered from Portugal (hence the large Catholic population at game start). A Portuguese player should monitor the United Provinces' wars in case their British alliance dissolves. No prestige requirement. The standard long campaign calls for expansion in western India, particularly the valuable ports of Bombay and Surat. This will be reflected in the next update!

Done; the Portuguese campaign received a nice overhaul. The region requirements have been reduced by 10 for each campaign. The prestige campaign will be centered around dismantling the Dutch colonial empire. Portugal and the Netherlands were serious rivals in the late 17th/early 18th centuries, and the Dutch possession of Ceylon had just been conquered from Portugal (hence the large Catholic population at game start). A Portuguese player should monitor the United Provinces' wars in case their British alliance dissolves. No prestige requirement. The standard long campaign calls for expansion in western India, particularly the valuable ports of Bombay and Surat. This will be reflected in the next update!
    That's awesome! Getting ready for that big update

Version 1.4 Released! Changelog is in the mod description on page 1. Enjoy!

Hello friend. Im enjoying your mod, but had to make a change; muskets were too inaccurate and because of this AI posed no challenge in battles. It was too easy to dismantle them with artillery grapeshot while they stay at maximum range and kill maybe 2-3 of your soldiers. So had to reduce projectile spread from 10 to 4 for muskets. This way AI isnt hopelessly useless while it still keeps realistic feel. What are your thoughts on this?
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Macola View Post
    Hello friend. Im enjoying your mod, but had to make a change; muskets were too inaccurate and because of this AI posed no challenge in battles. It was too easy to dismantle them with artillery grapeshot while they stay at maximum range and kill maybe 2-3 of your soldiers. So had to reduce projectile spread from 10 to 4 for muskets. This way AI isnt hopelessly useless while it still keeps realistic feel. What are your thoughts on this?
    Keep up the good work!
    Hi Macola, very glad to hear you are liking the mod and made it even more suited for your own enjoyment! One thing I'd recommend taking into account is unit experience. New regiments are meant to simulate new recruits; veteran regiments are noticeably better shots than greens. That is especially true for British, Prussian, and Swedish line infantry as they are a cut above most other factions'. I don't expect to tweak the existing values too much since I'm personally very happy with how muskets are simulated, but I'll make a note of it if it becomes a popular request!

Hello again friend. Just wanted to let you know I did some thinking after what you said about freshly recruited units, and yes they should be bad at shooting coming fresh out of the barracks. But default experience bonus was too low for my taste so I increased effect of experience on accuracy and reload to 5 per level up to lvl 4 and then down to 2 per lvl up to lvl 9, for +30 total accuracy and reload skill at maximum level. Units that fight in a few battles usually get lvl 4 and it takes a lot more battles to get lvl 9.
    Also there was a bug: Sweden couldnt recruit its line infantry because of eastern scandinavia regions werent properly defined, fixed this by setting required region for recruitment to europe.

Hello mate

Congratulations on the mod, a superb experience for ETW

Just out of curiosity, are there any compatible smoke mod and aditional units mod that you would recomend to use alltogether with your installment?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Macola View Post
    Hello again friend. Just wanted to let you know I did some thinking after what you said about freshly recruited units, and yes they should be bad at shooting coming fresh out of the barracks. But default experience bonus was too low for my taste so I increased effect of experience on accuracy and reload to 5 per level up to lvl 4 and then down to 2 per lvl up to lvl 9, for +30 total accuracy and reload skill at maximum level. Units that fight in a few battles usually get lvl 4 and it takes a lot more battles to get lvl 9.
    Also there was a bug: Sweden couldnt recruit its line infantry because of eastern scandinavia regions werent properly defined, fixed this by setting required region for recruitment to europe.
    Hi Macola, I think you encountered the Area of Recruitment system in the mod! For the major factions, line infantry and many other units are restricted to their home regions. In Sweden's case, they can only recruit Swedish line infantry in Sweden, Finland, Ingria, and Estonia/Livonia. This makes it more challenging for factions to snowball and it adds some realism since recruiting a unit directly reduces a region's population. For example, if Sweden takes Moscow, the local Russians would be loathe to fight alongside their conquerors against their own people, so being able to recruit a whole regiment of them with the same skills and stats as regular Swedish regiments is pretty baffling. Prussia is the exception of the rule, drawing inspiration from their absorption of the Saxon army after invading during the Seven Years War.

I am slowly adding unique expatriate regiments for invaders to recruit in their newly conquered territories. I'll probably give the Swedish a Cossack or Tatar unit recruitable in Russia if they make conquests there. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by The_Lord_Snow; February 09, 2022 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by siberskan View Post
    Hello mate

Congratulations on the mod, a superb experience for ETW

Just out of curiosity, are there any compatible smoke mod and aditional units mod that you would recomend to use alltogether with your installment?

Cheers
    Thank you for the kind words, siberskan, and glad you are enjoying the mod!

The good news is the mod should be fully compatible with smoke mods. I personally don't use one as I am running on a fairly outdated gaming laptop and would rather not risk a performance drop, but I recall the old BSM mod looking really good.

Additional units mods are tougher, unfortunately. I haven't tried any since I added all of the units I wanted to see in the game to the Succession Mod itself. That being said, I love the look of the new units in Absolutum Dominium. I don't think the mods are fully compatible, but if you know your way around the pack file manager you can probably integrate the units from AD into Succession.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast