View Poll Results: Should more new units be added to the mod (even if it messes with in-battle voices)?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! More units would be great!

16 66.67%
  • No! I don't want my line infantry shouting "Revolutionary Guards!" when I click them.

8 33.33%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

Default Re: Succession - A Total War: Empire Revival Mod

Okeh , thanks for the feedback pal !

The_Lord_Snow's Avatar Libertus

Real talk: I was not fully satisfied with how I implemented the First Nations auxiliaries employed by the European colonizers. My vision was to give France an advantage in the number and quality of Native units, as they were historically light colonizers, while others such as the British would only have access to their historic allies. These units will be getting some long overdue attention in the next update, and I will be as respectful as possible to the peoples and histories from which I draw inspiration.

Speaking of the next update, here is a small teaser of the new textures. The French and British auxiliaries will have warpaint inspired by the tribes that allied with them during the French and Indian War and the American War of Independence. Here is a screenshot of a French auxiliary, inspired by Huron warriors (and wearing captured British uniforms).

I have to say, these guys look WAY more intimidating with their warpaint.
    Lead (and only) Developer of the Succession Mod for Total War EMPIRE

Have you considered having different models for units for different time periods? I have been testing this. With interchangeable pack files one can change the units available, the models, their stats, UI and many more elements etc for different periods of the C18. To me this is the holy grail of ETW modding and doing what the game should have done by representing the full spectrum of the 1700s.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    Version 1.4 Released! Changelog is in the mod description on page 1. Enjoy!
    Thank you for the great work

Quote Originally Posted by pappagoat View Post
    Have you considered having different models for units for different time periods? I have been testing this. With interchangeable pack files one can change the units available, the models, their stats, UI and many more elements etc for different periods of the C18. To me this is the holy grail of ETW modding and doing what the game should have done by representing the full spectrum of the 1700s.
    Hi pappagoat, that is definitely something I'd like to explore down the line but it would take a lot of research and learning to edit models. In the meantime, I recommend downloading Bavarian Grenadier's Vanilla Units Enhanced mod and playing with it in the first half of the grand campaign, then switching to the LS_textures pack when 1770 rolls around. Most of my textures are based on later period uniforms since BG did such an amazing job with early/late period uniforms. I wish he was still modding.

I have a few questions for the mod creator,

1. Could you go into detail what you did exactly to improve character traits, like anything similar to what this mod does, which altered the trait and ancillary triggers and added new traits and ancillaries amongst other things.

2. Does your mod include tweaks to port and town wealth such as the ones I linked

3. Were you planning on including any more playable factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nappleox View Post
    I have a few questions for the mod creator,

1. Could you go into detail what you did exactly to improve character traits, like anything similar to what this mod does, which altered the trait and ancillary triggers and added new traits and ancillaries amongst other things.

2. Does your mod include tweaks to port and town wealth such as the ones I linked

3. Were you planning on including any more playable factions.
    Sure thing, Nappoleox.

1. A lot of traits got additional bonuses to make them more interesting. For example, a minister with the Physiocrat trait will provide an additional 3% bonus to farm income and -5% cost of building farms. The trait improvements are aimed at ministers to make these characters more interesting and give them specialized skills. The mod you linked looks pretty interesting; I might see if I can unlock some of those vanilla traits/ancillaries that never appear organically in the campaign.

2. I wasn't aware of the bugs those mods address. I'll take a look at those. Right now Succession gives bonuses to different factions' port and town wealth through the National Traditions function. The Italian merchant republics have a bonus to port wealth, for example.

3. Yes! I'd eventually like to see most (if not all) factions playable. Venice, the Iroquois, Cherokee, Morocco, or Persia would probably be unlocked next. Persia and Morocco got some new units and will get their National Traditions next, so they should have an interesting campaign setup when they are unlocked. Venice will be interesting since it has to focus on the Mediterranean, which isn't that big of a focus if you're playing as favorites like Britain, Prussia, and the United Provinces.

I wanted to share a little teaser of one of my more ambitious plans for the Succession Mod, something I've wanted implemented in the game since I got it at release. I've made two serious attempts so far with limited success, but I'm determined to find a way to make it work. To be perfectly clear for everyone's expectations, this is not something you will likely see in the next update, or even the update after that, as it has proven to be outside my current modding abilities.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There is a LOT of capacity for bugs when unlocking emergent factions in the Grand Campaign, not to mention getting them to operate like a normal faction or making them playable. In my latest test I was able to give them a mostly functioning leader and government, which seemed to be a common challenge among modders. However, they didn't train units, build improvements, or interact with other factions. I also experienced a CTD when another faction declared war on them, so back to the drawing board.

The dream: make Scotland playable with its own unique mission(s), as well as a mission for Great Britain to peacefully unite with them as is currently possible with the Thirteen Colonies.
    The reality: lots and lots of crashes and a sad The_Lord_Snow

In the meantime, they are coming back as a playable faction in custom battles. Alba gu Brath!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    The dream: make Scotland playable with its own unique mission(s)
    I made a tutorial to make Scotland emergent if you want to test that out. You can friend me on steam (the siberian) and I'll send it to you

I'd like to report a few bugs, The world domination campaign for Austria has 0 provinces required to hold, and the year listed is 0, and the campaigns for Denmark and Portugal suffer from the ivory coast bug, I found a solution for it here

Quote Originally Posted by Nappleox View Post
    I'd like to report a few bugs, The world domination campaign for Austria has 0 provinces required to hold, and the year listed is 0, and the campaigns for Denmark and Portugal suffer from the ivory coast bug, I found a solution for it here
    Thanks, Nappoleox! I'll have those fixed in the next update. Always wondered about the Ivory Coast bug; not really a game-breaker, but strange nonetheless.

batty1234's Avatar Civis

I hope you don't abandon this! By far the best current mod for Empire that keeps the original aspects of the game and doesn't introduce a ton of unnecessary units.

Quote Originally Posted by batty1234 View Post
    I hope you don't abandon this! By far the best current mod for Empire that keeps the original aspects of the game and doesn't introduce a ton of unnecessary units.
    No fear, batty1234! I am taking a little break from Empire and modding in general these days, but I plan to return and release some of the things I've been working on.

To be fully transparent, the outbreak of the real-life war in Ukraine has recently soured my enjoyment of games focused on warfare. I can't help but feel a little extra conflicted about gamifying things like the colonization of India and the Americas and the bloody European wars of the century while an actual sovereign country is being invaded.

Friends. It's been a while. Got some little updates coming soon; stay tuned!

...Aaaaaaaaand we're back! I am extremely pleased to announce the next update to the Succession Mod, and I do believe it is one of the biggest yet. So, what's new?

I'm proud to introduce a previously emergent faction as a fully playable faction to the grand campaign: SCOTLAND!

That's right, Scotland is now a fully playable faction starting in 1700! To reflect Scotland's starting position at the turn of the century, the kingdom is a protectorate of Great Britain under William of Orange; they also start as trading partners. Lacking an army and a strong treasury after the disastrous Darien Scheme, Scotland is in an unenviable position in 1700, but a strong and capable ruler can bring glory to this overlooked nation. Scotland's victory conditions mirror Great Britain's, with the exception of the world domination victory requiring Edinburgh instead of London.

Fun Fact: William III of Orange is listed as William II in Scottish regnal lists. Scotland had only one previous king by that name (William the Lion, 1165 – 1214) whereas England had two (William the Conqueror and his son, William Rufus).

Scotland has three starting missions issued in the first turns of the game. The first two involve retaking Nova Scotia and New Caledonia (Acadia and Panama, respectively) for the glory of the realm. Each provides a much needed cash reward, as well as staging points for further colonization in the New World. The final mission is a special scenario in which Scotland invades mainland Europe in a reverse Glorious Revolution. If a Scottish player manages to seize the Netherlands, Hannover, and the Rhineland, he/she will inherit the British Empire and rule the waves from Edinburgh rather than London. This is the "diplomatic" (dynastic?) victory for Scotland, potentially avoiding all-out war with England if the player so chooses. Of course, there is always the option of mustering the clans and marching south across the border...

Speaking of diplomatic annexation, a British player need not fear an inevitable war with Scotland in order to achieve the unification of the British Isles. A new mission will be issued to the British player requiring the reconquest of the former Scottish colonies from those treacherous French and Spaniards; Scotland will formally unite with Britain as a reward, much like the Thirteen Colonies mission in the vanilla game.

Additionally, the aforementioned Native Auxiliary skins for Britain and France are included.

KNOWN BUGS/GOOFs:
    1) The Ivory Coast and fog of war bugs persists for the newly unlocked factions (Denmark, Portugal, and Scotland). This is a pretty minor issue, so not high on the priority list, but I'd figure I'd let you all know. I'd recommend cycling through agents, fleets, and armies in the lists tab so as to not miss any at game start.
    2) Units will sometimes automatically upgrade between turns (i.e. a militia unit will mysteriously become a line infantry unit). It appears to be a pesky bug that occurs with modded startpos files. I looked up a fix and this one appears to solve the issue.

Enjoy, and ALBA GU BRATH!

Scots Hussars prepare to charge.
    Last edited by The_Lord_Snow; September 19, 2022 at 08:07 AM. Reason: removed link to avoid redundancy

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Congratulations on the update, this sounds excellent! Playing Scotland as a protectorate at the start sounds like a good idea (so the player isn't forced into a war with Britain immediately, and could either remain a protectorate or fight for your independence at a time of your choosing). The starting missions sound cool, too, your idea of a reverse Glorious Revolution is an interesting one.

You mentioned the Ivory Coast camera bug. Maybe you already know how to fix it - in case you don't, here's husserlTW's solution.

How to fix the Ivory Coast camera bug

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    As of you have this annoying ivory coast camera focus when the game first enters in the campaign map, do this:

Go to startpos.esf/CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS/CAMPAIGN_ENV and delete the record CAMPAIGN_CAMERA_MANAGER with it's sub-record (press continue on the exception message). Save the file. Open it again in CAMPAIGN_ENV. Now open in the same instance of esfEditor a startpos of the previous version (whatever mod). Go to CAMPAIGN_CAMERA_MANAGER under CAMPAIGN_ENV and copy/paste to CAMPAIGN_ENV of the newer startpos. This does not have a sub-record but the work has been done. Now the camera focuses on the player's faction and not in ivory coast when game starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Congratulations on the update, this sounds excellent! Playing Scotland as a protectorate at the start sounds like a good idea (so the player isn't forced into a war with Britain immediately, and could either remain a protectorate or fight for your independence at a time of your choosing). The starting missions sound cool, too, your idea of a reverse Glorious Revolution is an interesting one.

You mentioned the Ivory Coast camera bug. Maybe you already know how to fix it - in case you don't, here's husserlTW's solution.

How to fix the Ivory Coast camera bug

Thanks a ton, Alwyn. I appreciate the feedback!

I did give that fix for the Ivory Coast bug a shot but it did not seem to have an effect. I'm not super worried about it since it only affects the first 1-2 seconds of the campaign for a handful of factions. I might take a look in the scripting file since I recall there being entries for the campaign camera at game launch. The original factions still have their usual intros with the advisor.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

You're welcome! As you said, the Ivory Coast bug isn't a big problem, as it only means that your camera on the campaign map is looking at an odd location at the start of the campaign - after that, there's no problem. In my experience sometimes, if an edit to a startpos.esf didn't work when I used one version of ESF Editor, sometimes the same edit was successful if I used a different version of the editor. Good idea to look at the scripting file, maybe there's another, simpler way to solve this.

batty1234's Avatar Civis

Excited to try the new update!

Hey everyone! I came across a bug in the startpos file that would prevent a number of the mod's new units from being recruited. I recommend downloading the latest startpos file from the mod folder on page 1 of this thread.
    Last edited by The_Lord_Snow; September 19, 2022 at 08:07 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast