Thread: planning on getting a 2K monitor and its effect on RTW2 and MTW2

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default planning on getting a 2K monitor and its effect on RTW2 and MTW2

as you perhaps remember I am planning to upgrade my PC build

and I am thinking of getting a new 2K monitor

but I am wondering what effects will a 2K monitor have on RRTW and MTW2 and other games who support 1920x1080 at most?

will it turn blurry or have black sides on the edge etc etc?

many thanks in advance for any help
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: planning on getting a 2K monitor and its effect on RTW2 and MTW2

I'm running a 2k monitor myself and I don't have any issues with Med 2 - though depending on the texture quality it will be well, more pixelated. The unit icons etc in Rome do come across as slightly pixelated, but nothing that retracts from the experience. Well worth the upgrade imo
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

For me it's the same as as K.A. Med2 works flawlessly with the monitor. The only real downside it has in my view, is that this 2560x1440 resolution combined with a big monitor (27 inch in my case), tends to draw even more attention to the serious flattening of everything visible.

Don't know about the other games, but Med2 does support bigger resolutions than 1920x1080. It's just so that it doesn't show as an option in the settings unless you actually have connected such a monitor.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

It won't have any negative effects. Only thing that you would notice is slight drop in texture quality in older titles that don't have UHD 2K\4K textures, which is why these days there's a trend of releasing remastered HD versions of older titles.

Citizen

thanks guys

I was really worried about this but I am no more thank you again

just for fun if you do not mind can you post pictures of what you mean by flattening veteraan?

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Well, you can see it on your own screen, if you have a 1920x1080 screen 16/9. Med2 and everything before it was made for a (typically ) VGA 640x480 screen, which comes down to a 4/3 aspect ratio. Now med2 does have a Wide screen option in the settings, but that does only half of the work. Yes, it will show you a nicely filled screen with everything being present. But, it doesn't do anything about the huge difference between a 4/3 and a 16/9 screen. To be honest, I guess you can only solve that by actually using only a part of the screens surface.

As it is now, with a full screen 16/9 aspect ratio, everything you see when playing Med2 is much shorter and much wider than it originally (4/3) was intended. The bigger your screen is, the more it is obvious, at leas that's how I perceive it. You can see it with everything, but watchtowers and the faction symbols stand out.

I can't show it to you, as I'm currently writing from my laptop. I do have a huge amount of screenshots, but for those I adjusted the output so that the effect is much diminished.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Well, you can see it on your own screen, if you have a 1920x1080 screen 16/9. Med2 and everything before it was made for a (typically ) VGA 640x480 screen, which comes down to a 4/3 aspect ratio. Now med2 does have a Wide screen option in the settings, but that does only half of the work. Yes, it will show you a nicely filled screen with everything being present. But, it doesn't do anything about the huge difference between a 4/3 and a 16/9 screen. To be honest, I guess you can only solve that by actually using only a part of the screens surface.

As it is now, with a full screen 16/9 aspect ratio, everything you see when playing Med2 is much shorter and much wider than it originally (4/3) was intended. The bigger your screen is, the more it is obvious, at leas that's how I perceive it. You can see it with everything, but watchtowers and the faction symbols stand out.

I can't show it to you, as I'm currently writing from my laptop. I do have a huge amount of screenshots, but for those I adjusted the output so that the effect is much diminished.
    thanks for trying to explain it but I struggle to visualize it sorry

anybody else who can give me a picture of the idea?

I 'borrowed' a picture from King Athelstan from the Lothlórien thread in the DCI:LA test forum. As you can access the Pei Beta, you can have a look there for yourself. Watch the factions symbols, they should be round and they would be, if we used the original Med2 4/3 aspect ratio instead of the 2560/1440 ratio that K.A, and I play on. And the mini map left at the bottom should be (almost) square. If you played on a 1920/1080 screen till now, you must have noticed this also.

The bigger 16/9 ratio screens don't actually show a worse effect, in my experience, they just make the effect more obvious.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edit, I stumbled on something that looks to be an old 4/3 picture. This should give an idea on how Med2 was supposed to look:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 14, 2020 at 09:13 AM.

Citizen

thanks veteraan

it is barely noticeable indeed good that is what we like after all