Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAGA- AMERICAN CIVIL WAR

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: SAGA- AMERICAN CIVIL WAR

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    I think this is possible because it requires relatively little effort to make such a game, and it could be very popular. Two almost identical factions, not many models/units to make, popular setting, yeah i wouldnt be surprised to see this.
    Popular setting among who, where? Outside Americe not so much.... Definitely ACW got no recent popular media coverage as well as Troy but then we saw how ToB was based upon Last Kingdom/Vikings and to what success?
    Almost identical factions, with possibly the lowest unit variety among all TWs....Even Empire has higher variety due to India, Ottomans and having a few melee units.Expensive ship models despite almost no naval action.
    And biggest question is, how the heck would classical factions works here. Latest trend is to have multiple competing characters, leaders but ACW? Look how northern generals were changed one after another and South? Lee, Stonewall, Longstreet...like they cannot lead their own "faction" with option to confederate, defeat others ;-)

I like the scenario but it would be very hard to tackle to CA. TWs excel at early games. Multiple factions competing but ACW is more like two big factions fighting over and over, add classical TW snowball effect and replayability won´t be the best. And look at Troy/ToB/3K ..tons of characters, with effort to make them different ..unique...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

A lot of points againts my post i see, but look, thats just my opinion.

Turn it around, nothing against you. Just pointing out possible problems with scenarios. So possible problems might be possible opportunities to make something new. Think about this in such way...all TWs so far, especially recently are character based. Each character = different faction. Now we have Grand Tactician as ACW game https://store.steampowered.com/app/6..._War_18611865/ but if we want similar scenario as TW. How to deal with characters, that is the issue. TW player expect (lately) a lot variable factions with a lot differencies. Units, mechanics..everything.

As I said, I like ACW as well and would love to see it. But honestly in my eyes the best option would be as expansion/DLC pack for possible Empire2/Victoria TW game. The base game would have just USA as american faction and such DLC will add new smaller campaign and adding possible events, new factions as Confederacy. This would be the most easiest, the most TW way how to do ACW... in my opinion

LWC's Avatar Libertus

Guys, people tend to overlook the innovation that occurred during Amer Civil War, which Euro disregarded but experienced to bloody effect in WWI. In Civil War you have the initial use of surveillance balloons, barbed wires, trenches, rifled cannons, grenades, mines, transformation to a more modern artillery, wider use of rifles and snipers, trench warfare, and gatling/machine guns. There is also introduction of metal ships with turrets, and of course submarines. A bloody foreshadow of modern industry versus traditional napoleonic tactics. As for diplomacy, it could be a sandbox what if feature, Southern States already had brit and french liaison officers in their staff, curious of the potential opportunities to intervene and developing strategies. Mexico is also watching closely for a chance to recover their western territories.... possibilities are endless. Perhaps if Euros paid more attention, they could've avoided the slaughter during WWI.

LWC's Avatar Libertus

As for neutral territories, there are disputes of the status (free or slave) of western territories who were ready to become states, and even the states on the edge like kansas tennessee etc. there were constant raids between towns and regions. This brings up the topic of different types of warfare and terrain upon which they were fought. Marshes, woods, rivers, plains, hills, valleys, suburban, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LWC View Post
    Guys, people tend to overlook the innovation that occurred during Amer Civil War, which Euro disregarded but experienced to bloody effect in WWI. In Civil War you have the initial use of surveillance balloons, barbed wires, trenches, rifled cannons, grenades, mines, transformation to a more modern artillery, wider use of rifles and snipers, trench warfare, and gatling/machine guns. There is also introduction of metal ships with turrets, and of course submarines. A bloody foreshadow of modern industry versus traditional napoleonic tactics. As for diplomacy, it could be a sandbox what if feature, Southern States already had brit and french liaison officers in their staff, curious of the potential opportunities to intervene and developing strategies. Mexico is also watching closely for a chance to recover their western territories.... possibilities are endless. Perhaps if Euros paid more attention, they could've avoided the slaughter during WWI.
    Russo-Japanese War 1904-5, Crimean War 1853+, Boar Wars and of course ACW....All those and some others were foreshadowing WW1 and Europe always forgot to make homework or just take notes. Well if you look at Franco-Prussian war of 1870, Second Schleswig war in 1864 and others. All those "european" wars were quite quick and short wars.

But getting back to ACW. Mexico maybe but that is all possible contenders. Europe won´t probably send any significant military help (compared to Britain, France involvement during War for Independence..) So it is invevitably two sides fight. Nor Mexico nor natives nor anybody had power and global power to conquer whole continent.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

It can include both North and South americas, or Europe too, so more factions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12