View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the 2020 US Presidential elections?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Republicans)

34 43.59%
  • Joe Biden - Kamala Harris (Democrats)

37 47.44%
  • Jo Jorgensen - Spike Cohen (Libertarians)

4 5.13%
  • Howie Hawkins - Angela Walker (Greens)

0 0%
  • Other (please, specify)

3 3.85%

Thread: USA elections 2020 - 2021

Default Re: USA elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Never said conservatism will die out. But conservatism won't be as prevalent and it likely won't be the same as what pass for conservatism today.
    The goal posts shift for everyone as times change; what passes for liberalism today won't be what passes for liberalism tomorrow (hence my reference to banning burgers and disbanding the army).

I'll remind that a good couple conservative positions on issues are not popular with the majority of Americans nor are they becoming more popular.
    That's true, though my point wasn't that everything conservative or related to the GOP is popular.
    Last edited by Cope; November 06, 2020 at 02:36 PM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I love it! But, even though that is the only real tangible evidence of voter fraud, B.W. will still insist it’s the evil Democrats being big, meanie cheaters. Hahahaha!

It's like when he bailed on his voter fraud thread when a very blatant attempt at cheating by California Republicans came to light.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Putting aside claims of shenanigans, for a country as advanced as the USA, this election seems a fiasco. Instead of having a clear winner in states after the vote, they say NO! we got a few bags of millions of postal votes stuffed under the bed that must be sifted through! Why was this situation not seen back in September and measures taken to recruit more counters? At a time of high unemployment this wouldn't have been difficult. First a disorganized response at tackling Coronavirus, now this. These problems are deep rooted it seems, and won't be changed simply by a change of president.
    It was. The states only have so much money to pay for their elections. And the federal government wouldn't supplement their election budgets.

Ironically, Zuckerberg put 300 million into a neutral nest egg for pretty much anybody in the country, rural or urban, to pull from to pay for resources or people to equip or staff locations. Some how this made him liberally biased because...more voters is bad? I dunno, with how close this election is, seems like when they want to, the conservatives can Rock the Vote pretty damn well when they want to.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    I don't believe the Constitution allows for a redo of presidential elections, though I'm kinda hazy on that part of it.
    It's hazy on the exact rules of any election works. For all it cares any state can have us vote five times in five elections and average the results. The Constitution doesn't give a good god damn. The State Legislature puts the election rules into state law. Which by that nature allows for back and forth in how state law is negotiated before its signed, and interpreted after.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Praeses

Be great if you Seppos could wrap this up. China is bust crashing the Australian economy while you're squabbling, little help for an ally over here?

simile discursis
    I think the US/Rome comparison works literally because the founders built it in there. You could impose elements like monarchy-lite ("I can't believe its not Rex") because the machine underneath chugged along despite bad behaviour. The Empire may have had problems with intolerance and injustice but as the whole shebang was fundamentally better than the viable options they were prepared to ignore some problems: that began to happen more an more as the state seemed eternal.

Athens was a monopole ethnostate with a mouth bigger than it's fist, which is why it was able to punch itself out from the inside. It was at times an actual democracy with the hyper aggression that goes with that, but the system was not robust and it kept fermenting: disaster was only ever one silly vote away.

Likewise Imperial France was unstable, and its success over in less than a generation each time around.

This makes Trump who? If we're talking emperors maybe Caligula (with Biden as a doddery horny Claudius who gets disposed of by Kamala) but Trump's not crazy, just an evil clown. So Nero. Rome is on fire and Trump is fiddling with his phone. Pence even looks like Galba... and Chris Christie looks like Otho...

However the US ain't no monarchy. This is a messy raft magisterial elections. Maybe Trump is Catiline? He's not Gracchus.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

For those saying there is no way Trump will go to prison, he may force the nation's hand. There is every chance he will try to declare martial law to stay in power, forcing the military to take him into custody.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    I don't believe the Constitution allows for a redo of presidential elections, though I'm kinda hazy on that part of it.

This is gonna go to court and drag on for a month. Who knows, maybe they'll file so many cases SCOTUS won't be able to get through them all come the elector deadline, then pres. gets selected by delegations. That'll be something.

Or maybe Trump will conceppppffffhahahaha-

But seriously.
    It wouldn't be a nation wide election. It would be based on a state by state basis. The Al Gore fiasco lasted over 30 days and it was just one state and the Supreme Court was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Large majorities in votes will not be recounted. Georgia is automatic recount territory; Michigan will not happen, Wisconsin doubtful. Pennsylvania will not be recounted if Biden's win is over 35.000 votes.

Note - they might happen, because this is 2020 and there will be serious legal challenges.
    In case you haven't heard, a county clerk in Michigan discovered a "software glitch" that sent some republican votes to the Democrats. It was enough to overturn a county election. In this case, the Republican had already conceded when he found out he had actually won. This software is also used in at least 15 other counties in the state.

Stay tuned here or you can just read Breitbart.

Something else you probably haven't heard. The Utah AG is taking a leave of absence to assist Trump because he believes there is widespread vote manipulation.
    Last edited by B. W.; November 06, 2020 at 04:05 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I was thinking a third candidate representing a centrist party, but gladiatorial combat also works I guess.
    I agree. Bipartisanship is a very bad system that forces people to compromise too much. In a system of two blocks, not two parties, the minor parties can act as kingmaker.

I also agree that USA needs a centrist party. Actually, I think USA needs to have two centrist parties and then Sander's wing and the Tea Party outside the big ones.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Whoever who wins, it's not good for the world ...... same different ass

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Vlad Felix View Post
    Whoever who wins, it's not good for the world ...... same different ass
    None of the candidates represent what American people actually want in general.

See how shocked they were in fox news, by polls they did for their audiences. They show people on both sides want generally the same things. But none of the candidates represent those things.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    In case you haven't heard, a county clerk in Michigan discovered a "software glitch" that sent some republican votes to the Democrats. It was enough to overturn a county election. In this case, the Republican had already conceded when he found out he had actually won. This software is also used in at least 15 other counties in the state.

Stay tuned here or you can just read Breitbart.

Something else you probably haven't heard. The Utah AG is taking a leave of absence to assist Trump because he believes there is widespread vote manipulation.
    Those errors are almost always corrected in the final tabulation and verification of votes, which is done in a bipartisan way, with a D and an R doing the overseeing and verification. We only have unofficial results at this moment so there will be changes by the end.

2016 recount in Wisconsin changed the overall vote tally by 115 votes or something like that, so the official results, tabulated and verified, will be different. A margin of error of under 0.1% compared to unofficial results.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post

See how shocked they were in fox news, by polls they did for their audiences. They show people on both sides want generally the same things. But none of the candidates represent those things.
    That's because what people want, when it is boiled down, is a wellbeing measure. They want the best chance for happiness for themselves, their families and their way of life, and this isn't an achievement for which there is one sole pathway.

On the other hand, what politicians want, is influence for themselves and their cadre.

The two things have crossover, but by-in-large don't have to align. Politicians interests only align with the general populace so far as they can use the general populace to further their own influence and they generally only go to the minimum required level to appease the general populace.
    Last edited by antaeus; November 06, 2020 at 08:16 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    That's because what people want, when it is boiled down, is a wellbeing measure. They want the best chance for happiness for themselves, their families and their way of life, and this isn't an achievement for which there is one sole pathway.

On the other hand, what politicians want, is influence for themselves and their cadre.

The two things have crossover, but by-in-large don't have to align. Politicians interests only align with the general populace so far as they can use the general populace to further their own influence and they generally only go to the minimum required level to appease the general populace.
    Or in other words, exactly what Max Weber is talking about in his famous essay "Politics as a Vocation".

A politician can work for himself or for the people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_as_a_Vocation
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

QAnon Lost and Confused After Trump’s Election Showing

Aside from perhaps Donald Trump himself, no one is struggling more with what appears to be the president’s impending re-election defeat than QAnon conspiracy theorists.

Since Oct. 2017, when the mysterious “Q” first began issuing clues on the anonymous message board 4Chan, QAnon believers have been promised that Trump would bring down a “cabal” of pedophile-cannibals in the Democratic Party, Hollywood, and banking with mass waves of arrests in a cathartic moment called “The Storm.” They have been promised that The Storm would solve not only the world’s biggest problems, but their own. At various points, they have even convinced each other that Trump would solve diseases like cancer and absolve crushing medical and credit card debts.

But as Joe Biden builds his lead in Pennsylvania, QAnon followers are faced with their greatest challenge yet. For years, they’ve been told that—no matter how bad things looked for Trump on the outside—the president and the military had everything in hand. “Patriots were in control,” Q told them in one popular motto, “Enjoy the show.”

Now, it’s starting to look to even some of the most dedicated followers—some of whom have sacrificed family in their devotion to the conspiracy theory—that QAnon might actually have been nonsense. And they aren’t sure what to do.
    It's gonna get ugly. These cultists are completely divorced from reality and Trump was the only thing giving their lives meaning. People with nothing left to lose, who know that no decent person will ever love them again, are particularly dangerous.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    QAnon Lost and Confused After Trump’s Election Showing

It's gonna get ugly. These cultists are completely divorced from reality and Trump was the only thing giving their lives meaning. People with nothing left to lose, who know that no decent person will ever love them again, are particularly dangerous.
    Meh. Jim Watkins will just find the next group of aimless plebs to influence/leach off. The boomers lacking internet savvy seemed to get well into Q. Maybe he can start up 65Chan and steal their retirement savings.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Praeses

Dead duck floating on the green mile.

I guess Rupert wants the be the one to deliver the coup de grace, he loves the exercise of power.

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    Meh. Jim Watkins will just find the next group of aimless plebs to influence/leach off. The boomers lacking internet savvy seemed to get well into Q. Maybe he can start up 65Chan and steal their retirement savings.
    Someone else would have to set it up so he could "legally acquire it".

You seem to know a bit about these scam sites, know anything about this? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-report-says/

Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Senator

Sounds like a legit Plan, maybe i gonna try. So much dumpness shouldn't be left unused.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    Some QAnon conspiracists are indeed dangerous but not all of them are. And don't be fatalistic, "no decent person will ever love them again" - lol. Come on.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Senator

@alhoon: as long as those people are not violent and stay true to the laws, they may still be Part of the society. If not, they are traitorous scum and should be frowned upon.

dogukan's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post

To be fair, it is largely a consequence of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...cratic-policy/

The elite that controls over the rich uses fear of rights, guns, abortion, population control, death of religion etc and feramonger to consolidate their base.

This creates a toxic populism. The average Republican probably wants many reasonable things, but it get into this mix of toxic politics for the Republican elite to win.
    "Therefore I am not in favour of raising any dogmatic banner. On the contrary, we must try to help the dogmatists to clarify their propositions for themselves. Thus, communism, in particular, is a dogmatic abstraction; in which connection, however, I am not thinking of some imaginary and possible communism, but actually existing communism as taught by Cabet, Dézamy, Weitling, etc. This communism is itself only a special expression of the humanistic principle, an expression which is still infected by its antithesis – the private system. Hence the abolition of private property and communism are by no means identical, and it is not accidental but inevitable that communism has seen other socialist doctrines – such as those of Fourier, Proudhon, etc. – arising to confront it because it is itself only a special, one-sided realisation of the socialist principle."
    Marx to A.Ruge