View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the 2020 US Presidential elections?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Republicans)

34 43.59%
  • Joe Biden - Kamala Harris (Democrats)

37 47.44%
  • Jo Jorgensen - Spike Cohen (Libertarians)

4 5.13%
  • Howie Hawkins - Angela Walker (Greens)

0 0%
  • Other (please, specify)

3 3.85%

Thread: USA elections 2020 - 2021

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: USA elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    More MAGA "thought"

When Trump flees the country these people will become even more dangerous, having nothing left to live for.
    When the seed is sowed. All thumbs pushed that it goes not Far Cry 5.

A black man became president.
    I disagree here, it was not the Obama election alone. It's much deeper rooted. But as said, a (complex) topic of its own.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Difference in Georgia currently sits at 1,267 while it sits at 18,042 for Pennsylvania.
    Biden ahead by 1000 votes in Georgia, with votes still remaining to be count from the "castles" of the Democrats. It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    When Trump flees the country these people will become even more dangerous, having nothing left to live for.
    Look what happened. Trump was baaarely defeated. Republicans hold the senate. Trump holds the reins of the vicious alt-rights.
    If they dare prosecute Trump, instead of 10s of thousands marching and burning things, you would have hundreds of thousands. There's no way Biden will take that risk.

Trump remains very popular in the dangerous-right and he remains a force in politics. Putin and those that want to limit USA's influence will feed Trump so that he will keep USA divided before he easily sails to the Republican nomination in 2024. Think about it. He barely lost when Covid was gripping the country. Republicans will delay and hold back Biden while Trumpeteers will make the life of 46 difficult. Capitalizing on that, Trump will whistle at the ~70% of Republicans that are pleased with his performance and earn the nomination again.
    Last edited by alhoon; November 06, 2020 at 05:34 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Biden ahead by 1000 votes in Georgia, with votes still remaining to be count from the "castles" of the Democrats. It's over.

Soldier votes only come in at 5pm ET and will probably flip it back unless the margin widens. Pennsylvania is the one to watch.

Praeses

Flip that for a second though. The incumbent, in a national crisis, has been beaten by a zombie. The winners here are the Republican Senate and House members facing a massive Dem spend. The Trumpeteers may have mobilised the extra rage needed to ovecome the money but their usefulness is over (SCOTUS and backlash election having been won). Trump has served his purpose to the Republican machine.

I think the US hates "losers". Carter was demonised, Bush I embarrassingly forgotten, both were better than their successors as men and as leaders. Even Bush II has been swept under the carpet "we're not that party anymore" is the rallying cry of Republicans. Given the mess of COVID 19 I thin trump makes a reasonable nappy forthe republicans to wrap up COVID 19 and toss it out.

I think theres a bit of caution in the backstabbery but Pence and McConnel have failed to say a word in support of Trumps bizarre lies and alternate reality mumblings about the election.

The court cases will continue to flow in the hope a real issue arises, but they've all been tiny issues and mostly laughed out of court in extremely short order. The current noise is just coming from Trump as he melts. One theory is the noise is to distract Trump himself from the loss.

It was a bit sad to see Trump repeating over and over his supposed litany of crimes, I mean I'm no expert but most of what he talked about was not even remotely connected to reality. Democrats controlling Georgia? Votes being cast outside the three day window? Its the first time Trump has actually been more dopey than sleepy Joe.

Those whom the American Gods wish to destroy give truly awful press conference performances.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Senator

I guess in the white House the Mood is currently like 45 in the Führerbunker... "Steiner wird kommen und mich retten..."

And the First people try to get the hell outta there.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I could not resist.^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 06, 2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: video with english subtitles
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think theres a bit of caution in the backstabbery but Pence and McConnel have failed to say a word in support of Trumps bizarre lies and alternate reality mumblings about the election.
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/statu...03069447593988

No, Pence has tied his fate to Trump's.

https://twitter.com/senatemajldr/sta...97471654789120

McConnel has said something similar, but has definitely hedged his bets. He's a Machiavellian and practical leader who plays the long game. Pence, less so. But let us not forget Trump could actually still win. Unlikely, but he could.
    Last edited by antaeus; November 06, 2020 at 07:00 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Congratulations, United States. The medieval age of "America Alone" is over. Biden's top priorities,

1 -The US will rejoin the Paris climate accord
    2- The US will rejoin the Iran nuclear deal
    3- The US will rejoin the WHO
    4- The US will restore assistance to Palestinians, and will reopen the US consulate in east Jerusalem. The US will help reopen the PLO organization mission in the US. Biden believes in a real two state solution.
    5-Biden will rebuild the US diplomatic corp.
    6- Biden will create a public option health care plan that expands off the Affordable Care Act.; decrease the price of prescription drugs; protect abortion access; invest $775 billion in child and elder care.
    The European model of a national health service is out of discussion. For now.

----
    Edit,
    TV networks cut away from Trump's 'most dishonest speech' ever

An undemocratic decision, in my opinion. Trump has spent four years lying to Americans and to the world. Let him lie, as much as he wants.
    Last edited by Ludicus; November 06, 2020 at 07:30 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Congratulations, United States. The medieval age of "America Alone" is over.
    I wouldn't be so certain. Even if Trump loses it really was way too close, the dynamics that catapulted him to the presidency remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    TV networks cut away from Trump's 'most dishonest speech' ever

An undemocratic decision, in my opinion. Trump has spent four years lying to Americans and to the world. Let him lie, as much as he wants.
    That was merely one of the most recent in a long string of indignities that the sitting president has suffered in the hands of the establishment media. I remember during the Bush era, he was really not popular with the media personalities and what then passed for influencers, but there was still respect for the office he held. Now all this has gone down the drain, more evidence for the extreme polarization that the US is going through. The anti-Trump camp is trying its best to pretend they are better than those idiotic, fascist, extremist Trumpeteers... but are they? To me they seem like two sides of the same coin.

EDIT:
    And Pennsylvania flips.
    Last edited by Alastor; November 06, 2020 at 07:56 AM.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I wouldn't be so certain. Even if Trump loses it really was way too close, the dynamics that catapulted him to the presidency remain.
    The polarised dynamic remains, but because Trump was unable to get much through The Hill during his term, Biden could undo a lot of his achievements (excluding the courts) through executive order.

This would free Biden up to concentrate on areas where bipartisanship might function, and where Trump's angry voters might benefit. Such as rebuilding Obamacare. 4 years of relatively mundane centrist government that might even include a few GOP token roles, might actually be what the doctor ordered.

It all really depends on whether the GOP decides that Trumpism is their future.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    The polarised dynamic remains, but because Trump was unable to get much through The Hill during his term, Biden could undo a lot of his achievements (excluding the courts) through executive order.

This would free Biden up to concentrate on areas where bipartisanship might function, and where Trump's angry voters might benefit. Such as rebuilding Obamacare. 4 years of relatively mundane centrist government that might even include a few GOP token roles, might actually be what the doctor ordered.

It all really depends on whether the GOP decides that Trumpism is their future.
    And what are those areas of bipartisanship that remain? My impression is the two sides will quarrel about basically everything at this point. So yes Biden might be able to undo Trump's executive orders, but with Congress split and the Senate in GOP hands, he won't really have the authority to do much more. Worth noting also is that the Democrats are losing, not winning, seats in the House so far.

I actually don't believe that the GOP will stick to Trumpism per se. For the more practical operators in that party, the McConnell's and co, Trump was a means to an end. His usefulness will likely end with his presidency. My point is though that the people that did vote for Trump clearly don't like the way that established political forces are treating them, there is a well of anger and discontent there, all that's needed is for someone else to tap into that. I mean Trump is an egotistical narcissist that only cared for the presidency for the sake of holding the office. What happens if the next person that manages to appeal to that powerful base is a true ideologue? Moments like that I wonder if there is sth way worse than Trump on the horizon.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Some suits of Trump against the election have been dismissed, eg. in Pennsylvannia.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Decision Desk HQ, a well known political analysis team, has called it for Joe Biden.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/s...10866516905984
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

The GOP is fine with Biden. They’ll go along when they feel like it and call him a communist whenever they need to whip votes on an issue. It’ll be interesting which of these tactics will win out most of the time. It all depends on whether or not they can keep the Senate. My only hope this election is that they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biden
    First, I will make an unshakable commitment to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Second, I will offer Tehran a credible path back to diplomacy. If Iran returns to strict compliance with the nuclear deal, the United States would rejoin the agreement as a starting point for follow-on negotiations. With our allies, we will work to strengthen and extend the nuclear deal's provisions, while also addressing other issues of concern. This includes working aggressively to free unjustly detained Americans and calling out the regime for its ongoing violations of human rights, including the execution of wrestler Navid Afkari this week and the wrongful detention of political prisoners, such as human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh. And we will work to help our partners reduce tensions and help end regional conflicts, including the disastrous war in Yemen.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/opini...den/index.html
    If Biden actually sticks to the “if....then” condition, I’m content with that approach. It’s frankly the most ideal scenario one can hope for at this point.

He’s been much less specific on China, which worries me. He has emphasized a less militaristic approach, which to me spells appeasement in the face of a stridently militaristic and expansionist regime, especially given his record. Hopefully he at least rejoins TPP. We urgently need an Indo Pacific NATO yesterday in order to lock the Politburo behind credible red lines and re-balance the regional power dynamic, as the advantage is firmly in China’s corner as things stand. Congress is ready to provide pilot funding:

https://news.usni.org/2020/06/30/hou...ons-importance

Hopefully Wall Street stays out of the way and doesn’t flex their influence to protect their Chinese cash cow assuming this initiative gets off the ground, which, lol.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Senator

The whole trumpthing has an Domitian to me. This makes Biden the Nerva of our time.... maybe this is the start of the four Good emperors?

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    The whole trumpthing has an Domitian to me. This makes Biden the Nerva of our time.... maybe this is the start of the four Good emperors?
    If you’re looking for classical comparisons, I suggest Athens over Rome.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    And what are those areas of bipartisanship that remain? My impression is the two sides will quarrel about basically everything at this point. So yes Biden might be able to undo Trump's executive orders, but with Congress split and the Senate in GOP hands, he won't really have the authority to do much more. Worth noting also is that the Democrats are losing, not winning, seats in the House so far.

I actually don't believe that the GOP will stick to Trumpism per se. For the more practical operators in that party, the McConnell's and co, Trump was a means to an end. His usefulness will likely end with his presidency. My point is though that the people that did vote for Trump clearly don't like the way that established political forces are treating them, there is a well of anger and discontent there, all that's needed is for someone else to tap into that. I mean Trump is an egotistical narcissist that only cared for the presidency for the sake of holding the office. What happens if the next person that manages to appeal to that powerful base is a true ideologue? Moments like that I wonder if there is sth way worse than Trump on the horizon.
    National conservatism resonates extremely well will voters despite it having been supressed and denigrated by the political elite since the days of Reagan and Thatcher. The liberal ruling class (which includes the press, big tech and academia) has all the institutional advantages, but it's anti-exceptionalism, cynicism and self-righteousness is electorally unappealing. Trump has narrowly lost this election, not because of the competence of his opponent, but because a natural disaster which undermined his economic successes and played to his weaknesses struck in an election year.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    National conservatism resonates extremely well will voters despite it having been supressed and denigrated by the political elite since the days of Reagan and Thatcher. The liberal ruling class (which includes the press, big tech and academia) has all the institutional advantages, but it's anti-exceptionalism, cynicism and self-righteousness is electorally unappealing. Trump has narrowly lost this election, not because of the competence of his opponent, but because a natural disaster which undermined his economic successes and played to his weaknesses struck in an election year.
    Actually in most areas in US that was hit hard by the pandemic, Trump overwhelmingly won. Covid is not the sole factor in Trump's lost.

National conservative resonates depending on the demographic. Baby boomers are the biggest supporters of conservatism. And they're not going to be around much longer.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    He’s been much less specific on China, which worries me. He has emphasized a less militaristic approach, which to me spells appeasement in the face of a stridently militaristic and expansionist regime, especially given his record.
    You mean Beijing Biden, surely not! Fact is he hasn't been specific about anything, because he can't given the divisions in his own party. There remains no clear strategy other than a "Get Trump out of office" to a Biden presidency.

Putting aside claims of shenanigans, for a country as advanced as the USA, this election seems a fiasco. Instead of having a clear winner in states after the vote, they say NO! we got a few bags of millions of postal votes stuffed under the bed that must be sifted through! Why was this situation not seen back in September and measures taken to recruit more counters? At a time of high unemployment this wouldn't have been difficult. First a disorganized response at tackling Coronavirus, now this. These problems are deep rooted it seems, and won't be changed simply by a change of president.

As for those claims of fraud by a swing in the voting through counting postal votes, the answer is simple. Every stage of this election process should have been monitored to ensure efficiency and fairness. Amazing that social activity in Western society is the least private it has ever been. From online activity to cctv, as soon as you step outside the door. Yet, the collection, transportation and counting of ballots in an election, remain behind closed doors, with no camera computerised system verfying integrity which can be examined in claims of electoral malpractice.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    If you’re looking for classical comparisons, I suggest Athens over Rome.
    Then Trump is dump Discount Alcibiades:
    Populist? Check
    No Moral or dignity? Check
    Would Lead bis Country into disaster solely for personal gain? Check
    Tries desperately to Destroy things better men have created? Check
    Will take the First boat to Sparta/persia? Check
    Will do everything to get away From his creditors? Well, that was Ceasar:-)