View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the 2020 US Presidential elections?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Republicans)

34 43.59%
  • Joe Biden - Kamala Harris (Democrats)

37 47.44%
  • Jo Jorgensen - Spike Cohen (Libertarians)

4 5.13%
  • Howie Hawkins - Angela Walker (Greens)

0 0%
  • Other (please, specify)

3 3.85%
Page 31 of 201 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637383940415681131 ... LastLast

Thread: USA elections 2020 - 2021

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: USA elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by wanderwegger View Post
    Virtue signaling is alt right terminology.
    Okay, how?

They use it most. That’s how terminology works. Usage, by whom, and how often is how words are associated with populations over time. There is a great documentary about how Pepe the Frog was hijacked from its kooky origins my friend is releasing like right now.

They use it most. That’s how terminology works. Usage, by whom, and how often is how words are associated with populations over time. There is a great documentary about how Pepe the Frog was hijacked from its kooky origins my friend is releasing like right now.
    I'm sure equality is a term used the most by communists, is it a communist term? Just because a term is used often by a group of extremists doesn't mean we should just alltogether abandon use of said term.

That’s why overall usage is such a compelling statistic. Thought it was obvious how widespread a term
    is used to begin with also has its place. Equality is used by everyone even obvious racists. As is the justice. Virtue signaling is commonly used by a significantly less broad swathe. Like the word Grand Wizard. Not solely used by the kkk but easily associated with them. Virtue signaling is like grand wizard. Not like equality.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Virtue signaling is alt right terminology.
    Friend, that's just virtue signaling.
    Nothing wrong with pointing towards virtue signaling and calling it as such.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Crikey.

If this forum started having a problem with virtue signalling, there would be no posts left. Hell, alhoon, even your signature contains virtue signalling. Or dog whistling. Same same in most cases. We spend all day waving our virtue in each other's faces.

We all do it. The black metal hoodie I'm wearing this morning literally shares to the world world my ideas about free speech. The moustache and mullet combo in my hair styling visually places me in a particular social group. The US election is the world's (2nd*) biggest virtue signal competition. 300000000 people waving their ideal appropriate behaviour in each other's faces. When I see someone 'calling out' virtue signalling, all I hear is hypocrisy. The sooner we get off our high horses and acknowledge that fact that everything we do and say can be interpreted as a visual queue to others on how we think they should behave, the sooner we can get on with the conversation.

Moving right along...
    Last edited by antaeus; August 09, 2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: *India has a bigger virtue waving competition
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    If this forum started having a problem with virtue signalling, there would be no posts left. Hell, alhoon, even your signature contains virtue signalling.
    Yeap. It does.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

That’s why overall usage is such a compelling statistic. Thought it was obvious how widespread a term
    is used to begin with also has its place. Equality is used by everyone even obvious racists. As is the justice. Virtue signaling is commonly used by a significantly less broad swathe. Like the word Grand Wizard. Not solely used by the kkk but easily associated with them. Virtue signaling is like grand wizard. Not like equality.
    You say it's a compelling statistic, but I doubt you have an actual statistic to back your claim, simply because it is impossible to track. You have an extremely broad definition for what constitutes the alt-right if you think that they're the only ones who use that term.

I said overall usage (of any phrase) is a compelling statistic. I don't think they are the only ones who use the term. Seems impossible to believe from my posts that I do. But you have already impressed upon me your talent for believing the impossible. So I will accept your statement in good faith and tell you you are wrong about me thinking the alt right, also a vaguery, are the only people who use the term virtue signaling.

Do I think you hear it more on Fox News and Brietbart and especially places like Stormfront. Of course. Do I think it solely used in such places? Of course not.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    You say it's a compelling statistic, but I doubt you have an actual statistic to back your claim, simply because it is impossible to track. You have an extremely broad definition for what constitutes the alt-right if you think that they're the only ones who use that term.

The term "virtue signalling" unambiguously has its roots in evolutionary biology. It appears to have crossed from evolutionary psychology into political discourse via public intellectuals with roots in related fields of academia, many of whom are associated with the so-called intellectual dark web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    The feeling of discomfort/embarrassment I had while watching this interview...
    I imagine my feelings were similar when I read the post doubling down that metoo isn’t a phenomenon of women (and sometimes men) standing up against clearly improper and often criminal behaviors, it is a secret Democratic plot hatched months and months in advance to derail Brett from joining the Supreme Court. Just come on. This is why these people believe Pizzagate. They literally believe anything they see on Facebook if it confirms their worldview. Common. But still so very very very very sad.

I said overall usage (of any phrase) is a compelling statistic. I don't think they are the only ones who use the term. Seems impossible to believe from my posts that I do. But you have already impressed upon me your talent for believing the impossible. So I will accept your statement in good faith and tell you you are wrong about me thinking the alt right, also a vaguery, are the only people who use the term virtue signaling.
    The obvious implication of stating that the term an alt-right term is that the person who used it is alt-right. Otherwise I don't see why you'd bring that up.
    Do I think you hear it more on Fox News and Brietbart and especially places like Stormfront. Of course. Do I think it solely used in such places? Of course not.

I hope this clears up your confusion.
    Are you saying that Fox News is alt-right?

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

The obvious implication of stating that the term an alt-right term is that the person who used it is alt-right. Otherwise I don't see why you'd bring that up.

It's utter garbage, so it might as well be.

I imagine my feelings were similar when I read the post doubling down that metoo isn’t a phenomenon of women (and sometimes men) standing up against clearly improper and often criminal behaviors, it is a secret Democratic plot hatched months and months in advance to derail Brett from joining the Supreme Court. Just come on. This is why these people believe Pizzagate. They literally believe anything they see on Facebook if it confirms their worldview. Common. But still so very very very very sad.
    I sincerely and honestly doubt this crackpot theory was embraced by more than 5% of the people. HOW could the democrats know whomever Trump suggested would have such allegations against them? Same with Pizzagate. That 5% of people believe that, doesn't mean that you have to be sad when you read them.
    There are like 2% of people that think Elvis Presley was kidnapped by aliens or something. There are people that think the world is flat.

Not the whole bunch, but they do have alt-right people there promoting fringe conspiracy theories. I don't think the actors, agitators and provocateurs hosts and journalists that peddle them truly believe them, but they pander to those that believe conspiracy theories.
    As such, they include alt-rights.

Random: Unfortunate, but Trump, the PotUS, believes a ton of conspiracy theories.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 10, 2020 at 07:05 AM.

Tucker Carlson had to fire his head writer for posting alt right bs and frequenting incel websites last month.

Or bring it up because you want to bring awareness to the speaker and the community that alt right messaging has gotten into their discourse. Maybe the speaker looks into it, figures out the alt right is a fan of it and stops. If one grew up in a small town where swastikas are popular adornment than entered the wider world I like to think a decent sort would decide to stop such adorning after learning about the nazis such things associate one with.

On a different tact you have a habit of changing what is being discussed midstream when your arguments are shown as weak. Any reasons why you’d share?

Genava's Avatar Senator

Another one to the list...
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Tucker Carlson had to fire his head writer for posting alt right bs and frequenting incel websites last month.
    ...Surely if fox news was alt-right he wouldn't be fired for posting alt-right opinions.
    Or bring it up because you want to bring awareness to the speaker and the community that alt right messaging has gotten into their discourse. Maybe the speaker looks into it, figures out the alt right is a fan of it and stops. If one grew up in a small town where swastikas are popular adornment than entered the wider world I like to think a decent sort would decide to stop such adorning after learning about the nazis such things associate one with.
    Bring awareness? You mean stop the use of the term? Just because a bad group is a fan of something doesn't mean that that thing is bad also. Hitler was a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean that vegetarianism is bad, does it?
    There are plenty still in India and the far east that use the Swastika to this day (and even Finland until July of this year used the Swastika in their air force's insignia) because it means something completely different to them. And I don't think that they should stop just because someone half the world away stole their symbol and used it as a symbol of evil. If I go to India I won't start crying about their use of a Swastika, I'd understand that its use and meaning is entirely different and that most of those people are probably not nazis.

On a different tact you have a habit of changing what is being discussed midstream when your arguments are shown as weak. Any reasons why you’d share?
    I haven't changed argument, you've failed to prove that it is a far right term and I figured that there's no point pressing the issue and thus moved on.

Trump doesn't say crap for a week, Biden talks and Trump goes from 40% to 41.5%.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Wow! You make a lot of assumptions! I for one have never even been on Facebook, so there is no way I could get my opinion from that platform. Clearly, that person would be you. Pizzagate was something so incredulous that I never gave it a moment of my time. I believe it was leftists who spent so much time talking about it, but that clearly is an assumption on my part based on all the headlines I saw on left-wing sites. On the MeToo thing, all I can say is that if you don't believe political parties make plans ahead of time you are quite misinformed.

One thing that should get your attention is that the latest Rassmusen poll gave Trump 36% of black likely voters. 15% is probably all he needs to get elected so your party is in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    One thing that should get your attention is that the latest Rassmusen poll gave Trump 36% of black likely voters. 15% is probably all he needs to get elected so your party is in big trouble.
    He needs to get them in swing states BW. Yes, the black people of Mississippi will vote towards Trump, perhaps at 50%. He would take Mississippi anyway. Also, he kinda needs the white people too.
    Look, things look better for him than in the same time in 2016 but that means they look a bit less bad for Trump than in 2016.
    It was the last days "smoking gun" thing about the HillaryEmailsOMGTheHORRORRR!!!!111 that ended up being nothing ... after the elections were lost... that gave Trump the election.

His chance now are low, he's the underdog.
    If Biden stumbles and implodes, as he probably will at some point, Trump's numbers will go up. But if Trump stumbles and implodes as he probably will at some point, Trump's numbers will go down.

As someone else in this thread said:

Trump's biggest advantage: Democrats.
    Trump's biggest liability: Trump.

If Biden starts talking, the SJWs keep annoying everyone, the rioters keep rioting, Trump's chances increase.
    If Trump keeps talking, the White Supremacists keep annoying everyone and the anti-mask-people keep spreading the disease, Trump's chances decrease.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 11, 2020 at 02:03 PM.