View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the 2020 US Presidential elections?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Republicans)

34 43.59%
  • Joe Biden - Kamala Harris (Democrats)

37 47.44%
  • Jo Jorgensen - Spike Cohen (Libertarians)

4 5.13%
  • Howie Hawkins - Angela Walker (Greens)

0 0%
  • Other (please, specify)

3 3.85%
Page 23 of 201 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132334873123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA elections 2020 - 2021

Default Re: USA elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by pacifism View Post
    I don't.

I just think Trump's behavior is worse.
    What behavior in particular?

You thought I was only talking about his sexual behavior?

Trump has had more affairs, divorces, and formal sexual assault allegations than Biden. And yet evangelicals flocked to him in 2016. So much for family values.

It's really a minor issue to me compared to his policy and governing style.
    Well sexual behavior was the context of the discussion.

Also as previously stated conservatives flocked to him, because he did run in a Republican conservative platform. Would you expecting a conservative base to vote Democrat?

Same way progressives flock to a Democratic platform.

Cant say im a fan of Trump, but regarding governing , worse is a point of view.

I'm afraid there's no major party that a Christian can vote for without considerable nose-holding. Whether you vote Trump or Dem, either way you're voting for a whole host of evils. I can't blame anyone for thinking Trump was the lesser evil in 2016, but in 2020 it might be different.
    Pretty much.

pacifism's Avatar see the day
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I'm afraid there's no major party that a Christian can vote for without considerable nose-holding. Whether you vote Trump or Dem, either way you're voting for a whole host of evils. I can't blame anyone for thinking Trump was the lesser evil in 2016, but in 2020 it might be different.
    True, I guess that's governments for ya. I'm sure I'll be complaining about the next president too because politics is a selfish game.

I think at the end of the day, enough people hoped Trump would settle down a bit and become something closer to the last I-don't-know-how-many Republican candidates, but with some non-GOP leanings on a few issues in a way that might even be a bit unifying. It was definitely a possibility, but his belligerence and ego got in the way, and he doubled-down on himself and his core base. A lot of my closest friends and family voted for him and continue to defend him much more thoroughly than they really need to. I find the whole thing disappointing more than anything.

I never want my president to be a bad one, but that's what I think we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Well sexual behavior was the context of the discussion.

Also as previously stated conservatives flocked to him, because he did run in a Republican conservative platform. Would you expecting a conservative base to vote Democrat?

Same way progressives flock to a Democratic platform.

Cant say im a fan of Trump, but regarding governing , worse is a point of view.
    Fair enough.

Oddly enough, there are quite a few more conservative voters in the Democratic party. Blacks, Hispanics, and Catholics (which has some overlap with Hispanics) tend to vote Democrat even though they are usually more socially conservative than the rest of the party. It's not completely out of hand to expect some evangelicals to be against Trump. And yet, white evangelicals are unusually attached to him. I don't expect a 0% approval rating, but they're one of his strongest demographics. Conservative or not, people who usually put God above government didn't really need to support Trump so thoroughly.

I think that the progressive "woke" streak among Democrats is really a recent development. Historically, the party operated more like a big tent coalition looking out for each other, but then wealthy, well-educated, liberal whites felt like they needed an ideology behind it because they didn't need anyone's help. That's why just ten years ago, not all the Democrats weren't for open borders or LGBT rights and could barely unify behind the Affordable Care Act after a historic electoral victory in 2008. There's some funny footage of a younger Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton talking tough about illegal immigration. I guess it's the progressive's burden to have to disavow their old beliefs all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    What behavior in particular?
    Four posts above this one, I said:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trump has had more affairs, divorces, and formal sexual assault allegations than Biden. And yet evangelicals flocked to him in 2016. So much for family values.

It's really a minor issue to me compared to his policy and governing style.

Do I need to be more specific?
    Last edited by pacifism; July 11, 2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added a smiley to sound less rude
    Read the latest TWC Content and check out the Wiki!
    ---
    Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

I actually suspect that the guy is less clinically disturbed and more susceptible to advise than Trump. He might also be a bit more intelligent, given Trump's age, the quality of his public statements and lack of verifiable academical past. He might at least be able to seize opportunities to be regarded as a hero or something in order to rub one off on himself legitimately, so there is at least a lot more hope for functional narcissistic motivation. Since the US doesn't seem to mind to internationally humiliate herself like an obese guy who strips on a party with the confidence of a Chippendale due to the delusion of being funny, i'd seriously suggest US voters to give it a go.

It's not completely out of hand to expect some evangelicals to be against Trump. And yet, white evangelicals are unusually attached to him. I don't expect a 0% approval rating, but they're one of his strongest demographics. Conservative or not, people who usually put God above government didn't really need to support Trump so thoroughly.
    It's not that unusual; every Republican gets ~80% of the white evangelical vote. The Democratic Party doesn't have much to offer conservative Protestants.

Although, Trump's support among WEs has collapsed since the election, dropping about 20 points, which seems unusually low for a Republican.

It should also be noted that white evangelical Christians =/= all evangelical Christians. If you polled evangelical Christians in general, Trump's support is almost certainly underwater. Contrary to popular belief, it's not really a pro-Trump demographic.
    Last edited by Prodromos; July 11, 2020 at 06:42 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

It should also be noted that white evangelical Christians =/= all evangelical Christians. If you polled evangelical Christians in general, Trump's support is almost certainly underwater. Contrary to popular belief, it's not really a pro-Trump demographic.
    If i recall correctly a good chunk of pro- trump demographic, used to vote Democrat.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...tration-355152

Good news for Trump and all of us that strongly dislike SJWs: Republicans are registering in greater numbers than democrats to vote.
    IMO: The democrats have managed to mobilize the republicans while their voters are more lukewarm towards Biden and don't go through the hassle to register.
    We don't know what the independents would do and some Republicans will vote for Biden, but in general, it is good news for Trump, very good.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...tration-355152

Good news for Trump and all of us that strongly dislike SJWs: Republicans are registering in greater numbers than democrats to vote.
    IMO: The democrats have managed to mobilize the republicans while their voters are more lukewarm towards Biden and don't go through the hassle to register.
    We don't know what the independents would do and some Republicans will vote for Biden, but in general, it is good news for Trump, very good.
    You didn't look at the actual numbers, didn't you?
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    You didn't look at the actual numbers, didn't you?
    No, why? Where did you find the numbers? The article mentions trends not actual numbers.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

No, why? Where did you find the numbers? The article mentions trends not actual numbers.
    Those letters spelling "the numbers" in blue near the beginning might mean something. A link to the numbers, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    These "Trump is doing great things and is opposed by the bad guys"-style screeds are textbook wish-fulfillment born from Trump supporter's disappointment. Though they will never admit it, most of them are at least somewhat aware that Trump is just as corrupt, spiteful, inept, and lazy as the left said he was going to be; and are embarrassed by his behavior. Even worse, this opens up some possibilities they'd rather not consider. "If the libs were right about Trump, what else are they right about?"

To shield themselves from these uncomfortable thoughts they have retreated into a fantasy world where Trump is a superhero battling pure evil, and oh how we will feel foolish once all of his heroic exploits are revealed. Then we will bow before his supporters and acknowledge their brilliance and innate superiority.
    Actually, I am very satisfied with Trump and I would be even more so, if I were American; I would be gladly voting for him.

1) Curbed mass migration from Mexico by a whopping 80% and recently suspended H-1B visas
    2) Started imposing tariffs on China, turned around the liberal narrative about the irreversibility of globalization, tries to restore domestic manufacturing, doesn't tell condescending like "learn to code" to 50 year old lumberjacks
    3) Handled the situation with Iran with surgical precision and without starting a new war
    4) Reacted quickly to the COVID crisis by banning entries from China already in January, when the libs were shouting that this is racist and that the seasonal flu is more detrimental to public health.

All this while having to deal with a hostile federal bureaucracy, a hostile media cabal and their lackeys spreading fake news and instigating racial tensions, fake Russians, fake impeachments, fake riots, fake rape allgeations, intentionally prolonged lockdowns by dem governors aiming to create economic havoc, an overstretched military deployed in meaningless wars etc.

As a mater of fact, the liberals have been right about pretty much nothing and, from what I see as an outsider, the people that are liberal in the USA today fall under three categories:

1) those that want to pillage the (demographically predominantly white) middle class, be it tech moguls who want to be able to outsource manufacturing and design to 2$/hour Indian subcontractors or at least import them in the States, Somalis and Nigerians looting Target stores to get more federal gibs or Clintog/Obongo type of empty suits that aspire to become rich through graft opportunities in a career of public office in the service of the woke capital
    2) stupid and midwit whites that have been indoctrinated to hate their country, their ancestors and their culture and to feel guilty about the fact that they deserve to be privileged in the country that the WASPs literally built from scratch and made the greatest in the world (I am not saying that white privilege exists, in fact POC privilege exists, I am saying it should exist, just like yellow privilege exists and should exist in China)
    3) Jewish diaspora that controls the media as well as the entertainment industry and indoctrinates no#2 through these means as well as through powerful lobbying, so that the USA will forever remain racially and culturally divided and will thus will be able to provide a safe haven for their compatriots, in case hits the fan in the Middle East.

So unless you fall under one of these three categories, Trump has been the best president since probably Reagan and that is long before most of us were born. And even more important than the things he has done are the things he averts, namely massive naturalization of illegal aliens and their families in the order of tens of millions, which, if it happens, will permanently and irrevocably change the already ed up social cohesion in the country and destroy it politically and economically by ensuring a never ending reign of AOC and Omar level of IQ and national allegiance. I literally have no idea about what would you think that liberals have been truthful about or why would a conservative harbor doubts about Trump.
    Last edited by Timoleon of Korinthos; July 11, 2020 at 06:53 PM.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

As Sar1n pointed out you could check the numbers easily and realize how small the numbers they're talking about are.
    The Armenian Issue

As Sar1n pointed out you could check the numbers easily and realize how small the numbers they're talking about are.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Certainly not small numbers. With just 29% of those registered in Florida being Democrats, it is very probable that Florida will again go to the Republicans. Same with Colorado, but I think it doesn't have as many electors. In Pennsylvania, 42% from those registered are democrats, but that's a state that Trump won (even by a small margin) in 2016. Also the Republicans seem to be more motivated (thanks to the Democrats aggravating them). As such, while 42% Democrats almost certainly outpaces Republicans by like 10% or so, the Democrats should still be wary.

By the time of the elections, things may have shifted somewhat. And when Trump was elected in November 2016, he was less popular than he was now as I mentioned a few months back. Hillary was also less popular than Biden, I think, but the Republicans could start attacking Biden by August and with the debates and campaign motivating Trump's base, they can chew on that gap.
    Last edited by alhoon; July 12, 2020 at 06:07 AM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Sorry to interrupt,Trump lovers.
    Wall Street predicts Biden won't give progressives anything important in office, and tell clients Biden won't be moving too far left. Sanders says Biden could become most progressive president since Roosevelt. Whatever. Defeating Trump is the priority, a moral necessity. The rest can be discussed later. Trump is a threat to American democracy. But it's not merely that...it's even worse than that. Trump is a threat to democracies around the world.
    Trump's authoritarian model, anti-government model, and his polarization model,appealing to populist fear by stimulating racism, should be defeated, once and for all. In the words of Tocqueville, "the greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than other nations, but in her ability to repair her faults"
    Do your job, America.Get rid of this abnormal.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

A Lot of you just said is just your fearmongering opinion , and it isn't a fact.

There has been nothing authoritarian in trumps governance, tell me when did he acted like a tyrant and out reached his powers as President? On the contrary, even recently he has given full autonomy to local governors in how to deal with the pandemic, and the riots, instead of imposing his will.
    All the show you seeing relating to covid, riots, and violence, its because local governors let it happen. And continue to let it happen. Its on them.

You got it wrong, he isn't the source of the polarization he is actually a symptom of it. He is what you get when you have a discontent losing working class, fatigued by the industrialized prepared politics, most of which are beholden to larger economic lobbyists and interests, which democrats like Biden, Clinton, and Obama are Puppets of. Including warmongering lobbyists.

And if you trow in the current culture war in the mix, well lets just say counter cultures are reactions to something. And i dont think its going anywhere any time soon.

"the greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than other nations, but in her ability to repair her faults"
    Which is ironic, as all the Presidents that i have memory, Trump is the least interventionist a foreign politics go, in fact he did run in a platform of looking at America first. And thus inward problems first.

Cant say im a fan of Trump at all, nor do i think he is good enough for the job, but he isn't the Monster you and the new left makes it out to be. He is just a celebrity turned President.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 12, 2020 at 03:21 PM.

pacifism's Avatar see the day
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    It's not that unusual; every Republican gets ~80% of the white evangelical vote. The Democratic Party doesn't have much to offer conservative Protestants.
    Black Protestants seem to believe that the Democratic Party -- the establishment wing, no less -- has something to offer them that Republicans don't. Why is that? Why is it that white southern Protestants vote for the opposite party as Black southern Protestants? Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were exceptional for picking Democratic electoral votes in the deep South after the Civil Rights Act. This shouldn't be a racial divide, and yet it is. Whose fault that is isn't the point. It's the "politics over principle" that these people have that's my problem.

As for the rest of your post, yes, I think I was mistaken. It's a Republican-leaning demographic more than a Trump-leaning demographic. I had thought it was because previous Republicans acted like good old boys who loved Jesus, but it's clearer now that that isn't an actual standard to these voters. It feels like these voters weren't very concerned about personal ethics in politicians, just political victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    1) Curbed mass migration from Mexico by a whopping 80% and recently suspended H-1B visas
    2) Started imposing tariffs on China, turned around the liberal narrative about the irreversibility of globalization, tries to restore domestic manufacturing, doesn't tell condescending like "learn to code" to 50 year old lumberjacks
    3) Handled the situation with Iran with surgical precision and without starting a new war
    4) Reacted quickly to the COVID crisis by banning entries from China already in January, when the libs were shouting that this is racist and that the seasonal flu is more detrimental to public health.
    1. I couldn't find anything that says 80% decrease, but the decline started around 2010, which was back when Trump was just the TV guy who said the president was a Kenyan.

2. I think it's too early to say that Trump has meaningfully reversed globalization with his America First policies. His economic policy with China centers around reducing the trade deficit through tariffs. I don't think the trade deficit isn't a useful metric to say someone is "winning" in trade, just who is buying and who is selling. Tariffs are taxes on buying international that impact American customers just as much as they impact China. Any successful outcomes would be on accident more

Keep in mind, he is also embarrassingly soft in his criticisms of China's authoritarianism or human rights record. It's just tough talk about economics.

3. He also kind of started the situation in Iran, what with backing out of the deal and killing General Soleimani. I think that avoiding a war isn't an achievement, just a responsibility. That situation was just playing with fire.

4. What the federal government did about COVID-19 is a fascinating if meandering tale. I could say that the travel restrictions were mistimed, considering that happened after the first cases in States popped up. Instead, I'll just note that the coronavirus situation in America isn't doing so well right now, so obviously it didn't work too well.

All this while having to deal with a hostile federal bureaucracy, a hostile media cabal and their lackeys spreading fake news and instigating racial tensions, fake Russians, fake impeachments, fake riots, fake rape allgeations, intentionally prolonged lockdowns by dem governors aiming to create economic havoc, an overstretched military deployed in meaningless wars etc.

As a mater of fact, the liberals have been right about pretty much nothing and, from what I see as an outsider, the people that are liberal in the USA today fall under three categories:

1) those that want to pillage the (demographically predominantly white) middle class, be it tech moguls who want to be able to outsource manufacturing and design to 2$/hour Indian subcontractors or at least import them in the States, Somalis and Nigerians looting Target stores to get more federal gibs or Clintog/Obongo type of empty suits that aspire to become rich through graft opportunities in a career of public office in the service of the woke capital
    2) stupid and midwit whites that have been indoctrinated to hate their country, their ancestors and their culture and to feel guilty about the fact that they deserve to be privileged in the country that the WASPs literally built from scratch and made the greatest in the world (I am not saying that white privilege exists, in fact POC privilege exists, I am saying it should exist, just like yellow privilege exists and should exist in China)
    3) Jewish diaspora that controls the media as well as the entertainment industry and indoctrinates no#2 through these means as well as through powerful lobbying, so that the USA will forever remain racially and culturally divided and will thus will be able to provide a safe haven for their compatriots, in case hits the fan in the Middle East.

So unless you fall under one of these three categories, Trump has been the best president since probably Reagan and that is long before most of us were born. And even more important than the things he has done are the things he averts, namely massive naturalization of illegal aliens and their families in the order of tens of millions, which, if it happens, will permanently and irrevocably change the already ed up social cohesion in the country and destroy it politically and economically by ensuring a never ending reign of AOC and Omar level of IQ and national allegiance. I literally have no idea about what would you think that liberals have been truthful about or why would a conservative harbor doubts about Trump.
    Sweet Moses. Uh ... wow.
    Read the latest TWC Content and check out the Wiki!
    ---
    Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

Is Biden really going to have 6 hour debate with Trump? Is there any reason not to suspect it is gonna be humiliation of the decade? Biden does not say a single word he believes in ("you know the thing"), I'm sure Donald will help Joe to feel loose and say things which he actually believes in. Should be fun.

Certainly not small numbers. With just 29% of those registered in Florida being Democrats, it is very probable that Florida will again go to the Republicans. Same with Colorado, but I think it doesn't have as many electors. In Pennsylvania, 42% from those registered are democrats, but that's a state that Trump won (even by a small margin) in 2016. Also the Republicans seem to be more motivated (thanks to the Democrats aggravating them). As such, while 42% Democrats almost certainly outpaces Republicans by like 10% or so, the Democrats should still be wary.

By the time of the elections, things may have shifted somewhat. And when Trump was elected in November 2016, he was less popular than he was now as I mentioned a few months back. Hillary was also less popular than Biden, I think, but the Republicans could start attacking Biden by August and with the debates and campaign motivating Trump's base, they can chew on that gap.
    That graph is not a general situation graph. It's awfully labeled but it only makes for it to be covering a percentage within month, contrary to the state's overall performance. If you actually read the link you'd see this:
    Since the beginning of the stay at home orders this year, the total number of registrations went down from 1,663,261 in March to 194,596 in May. By comparison, in May 2016, 1,490,631 new voters registered.
    So basically, in Florida, 34.58% of about a million and a half vs. 28.96% of about two hundred thousands. The latter is quite a small number compared to the former. They basically trying to frame the data in a way to make it scary for Democrats for more people to go register.
    The Armenian Issue

So basically, in Florida, 34.58% of about a million and a half vs. 28.96% of about two hundred thousands. The latter is quite a small number compared to the former. They basically trying to frame the data in a way to make it scary for Democrats for more people to go register.
    The way I read the graph is:
    "Totals before COVID-19 and Totals after COVID-19" If they meant "Democrats in March (Blue) and Democrats in May (Red)" they should have said so.

Sweet Moses. Uh ... wow.
    Remember what Timoleon of Korinthos has written here. He has provided us with a glimpse into the true essence of what it means to be a Trump supporter. They love Trump because he tells them what they want to hear, that they are oppressed victims and the fault for their unhappiness lies not with their own poor choices (like voting Republican) but racial "others" and faceless "elites" keeping them down. That's the end point of all Trump supporter thinking. Ask them if there is any crime Trump could commit that would bother them and you eventually get them to tell you that they really don't care. As long as he gives them someone to blame for their misery they are going to perceive every word from his mouth as divinely inspired wisdom, his every act as pure genius.