View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the 2020 US Presidential elections?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Republicans)

34 43.59%
  • Joe Biden - Kamala Harris (Democrats)

37 47.44%
  • Jo Jorgensen - Spike Cohen (Libertarians)

4 5.13%
  • Howie Hawkins - Angela Walker (Greens)

0 0%
  • Other (please, specify)

3 3.85%
Page 1 of 201 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: USA elections 2020 - 2021

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default USA elections 2020 - 2021

With the last challenger to Biden out of the race, without any unforeseen change (like one of these 75+ people facing great health downturns) it will be Trump versus Biden.
    Trump is the incumbent and would probably gather the anti-establishment vote. Biden is a well known politician with 5 decades of experience, he was in politics when many boomers were in school bloomers.

It will be the old man's race this time, in a very difficult time for USA and the world. Coronavirus cases wreck the USA economy and cut short thousands of lives. This will obviously have great effect on the upcoming elections. It is a time where Trump is near his career highest or at his career's highest ratings but there are questions whether this will be enough to propel him to victory as there are concerns the pandemic recession and his handling of the Coronavirus would soon turn against him. Black voters have turned out in droves to support Biden at a time where their support could be crucial in swing states.

But the Coronavirus and the fallout on the economy and society is unlikely to be the sole issue. Immigration, climate change, medicare remain important issues for a lot of people as does the USA's image around the world and the USA's handling the relationship with China and an increasingly Hindu nationalist India.

And of course, the elections of 2020 are not just about the PotUS. Senate seats are up for grabs and the Democrats will try to wrest control of the senate from the Republicans. On the other hand, the Republicans will try to gain back the House from the Democrats or reduce the lead of the Democrats at least. While the PotUS has executive power, his powers within USA are limited by the Congress, so control of congress is crucial if the next president wants to push his agenda, whomever he may be.

It will be an interesting election.

EDIT: The Presidential election is over and while some contest the results, Biden has won the Electoral college.
    But in USA's bicameral system, power doesn't lie in the hands of the PotUS; it is a not-too-powerful office by design, especially when it comes to domestic issues. While the President can make executive orders, they can be contested and shot down at the courts. And while the President of USA can appoint members to the cabinet or to the Supreme Court, the Senate needs to confirm them.
    As such, who controls the senate is as important as to whom is president.

And who controls the senate will be decided in the runoff elections of January 5.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 02, 2021 at 09:15 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: USA elections 2020

The DNC just handed over 4 more years of Trump.

The democrat party is corrupt so it is no surprising. And lets not forget the more progressive figures, they all bended the knee to the Democratic establishment. Including Bernie, AOC, Tulsi, Omar etc.

It will be an interesting election.
    i dont see Biden winning. From sniffing women hairs, to not be able to speak properly, it is going to be a disaster.
    But i cant wait for the memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post

The democrat party is corrupt so it is no surprising. And lets not forget the more progressive figures, they all bended the knee to the Democratic establishment. Including Bernie, AOC, Tulsi, Omar etc.

i dont see Biden winning. From sniffing women hairs, to not be able to speak properly, it is going to be a disaster.

Given Biden's age, even if he got elected, I don't think he would last through his first term. Biden is already showing his age, there havs been a couple of incidences where he seemed a little confused. His age could be a factor in the election, he will be olddr when he takes officr than Reagsn was when he left office.

I suspect that in the end people won't bd voting for Biden as much as they will be voting against Trump, and for Biden's Vice President candidate. If Biden picks a good VP candidate, thr Democrats might havs a chance. Many people hate Trump, and they might vote Democratic, figuring Biden isn't going to last long in office and it is really the VP candidate they are voting for.

That is, of course, if Biden last long enough to become the Democratic candidate. With his age, he is at a very high risk category for the coronavirus, and being an unavoidably public figure, puts him at even more risk. The British Prime Minister got the coronavirus and was hospitalized, and Biden is much older and at a much higher risk age group. If I were Biden, I would pick my VP candidate now, so if I succumbed to the coronavirus, my VP candidate could pick up the mantle being the Democratic candidate.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

All this talk of Biden's health and age. Let's not forget he's running against an obese 73 year old who subsists on fast food and Adderall.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    All this talk of Biden's health and age. Let's not forget he's running against an obese 73 year old who subsists on fast food and Adderall.
    Based.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As if Biden isn't also using uppers. And if he isn't he should. His last couple tv appearances have been disasters. I can't wait for his complete mental break when moveon.org starts asking him about Tara Reade despite the MSM running cover for him

One may hate Trump's policies and personality, but he is physically and mentally healthy for a 73-years old.
    Biden, on the other hand, clearly can't talk anymore, he can't really control his own actions (the whole thing where he constantly gropes women and children) and without heavy make-up he looks like an extra from Walking Dead.
    Even Obama refuses to give him endorsement, perhaps because Biden either did something creepy to his wife or daughters or said something about race and black people.

We cannot let this, we’ve never allowed any crisis from the Civil War straight through to the pandemic of 17, all the way around, 16, we have never, never let our democracy sakes second fiddle, way they, we can both have a democracy and elections and, at the same time, correct the public health -Joe Biden
    tRuMp EaTs HaMbUrGeRs

Bernie ran a strategy looking for a plurality of the vote and couldn't even break 40%. Candidates that didn't break 20% saw the writing on the wall and did what every other candidate did for the past 60 years. They dropped out and endorsed. And look what happened once Bernie's piss poor strategy he didn't adjust assuming minimum 4 candidates was knocked down at most three, later two. He got ran over by a campaign bus not his.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 10, 2020 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Personal ref. removed again
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Given Biden's age, even if he got elected, I don't think he would last through his first term. Biden is already showing his age, there havs been a couple of incidences where he seemed a little confused. His age could be a factor in the election, he will be olddr when he takes officr than Reagsn was when he left office.

I suspect that in the end people won't bd voting for Biden as much as they will be voting against Trump, and for Biden's Vice President candidate. If Biden picks a good VP candidate, thr Democrats might havs a chance. Many people hate Trump, and they might vote Democratic, figuring Biden isn't going to last long in office and it is really the VP candidate they are voting for.

That is, of course, if Biden last long enough to become the Democratic candidate. With his age, he is at a very high risk category for the coronavirus, and being an unavoidably public figure, puts him at even more risk. The British Prime Minister got the coronavirus and was hospitalized, and Biden is much older and at a much higher risk age group. If I were Biden, I would pick my VP candidate now, so if I succumbed to the coronavirus, my VP candidate could pick up the mantle being the Democratic candidate.
    Speculation naturally runs rampant but remains just that until Mr. Biden definitively announces his choice. Nonetheless this might be indicative:

Speculation that Kamala Harris could become Joe Biden's running mate went into overdrive after she dropped into a virtual fundraiser for the newly minted presumptive 2020 Democratic nominee.
    Biden thanked the California senator for her endorsement, telling donors during the digital event Wednesday that her support means "a lot."
    "I'm so lucky to have you as part of this, this partnership going forward," the two-term former vice president said. "We can make a great deal of difference, and the biggest thing we can do is make Donald Trump a one-term president."
    Biden added, "So, I'm coming for you, kid."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elect...cid=spartandhp
    As an aide à l’enquête and if it would be of interest, here are direct links to each candidates' webpage detailing their positions on the issues of the day…
    For Mr. Biden see:
    https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/
    For President Trump see:
    https://www.promiseskept.com/

[Warning: they will solicit you for a donation]
    Last edited by skh1; April 10, 2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: defective syntax

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Bernie ran a strategy looking for a plurality of the vote and couldn't even break 40%. Candidates that didn't break 20% saw the writing on the wall and did what every other candidate did for the past 60 years. They dropped out and endorsed. And look what happened once Bernie's piss poor strategy he didn't adjust assuming minimum 4 candidates was knocked down at most three, later two. He got ran over by a campaign bus not his.
    Bernie is too soft, he is no leader. He is a Yes man, and always has been. They also bended the knee, with that stimulus bill.

Not aggravated, for me is just a confirmation what i always knew, about the Democrat party. ( Or the Republican party as well if you must, although i think the delegates function in a different way there), and its apparatus.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 10, 2020 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Quote edited for continuity

( Or the Republican party as well if you must, although i think the delegates function in a different way there)
    They function wildly different there and its theorized to be why seven or eight candidates stayed in the Republican Primary as long as they did in the 2016 primary. Trump won a lot of winner-take-all primaries with 30% of the vote when a lot of candidates theorized they had a shot if they could get a WTA state or two. If they dropped and endorsed things may have been numerically or statistically different. Just like this year's democratic primary where Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropped out after South Carolina and suddenly Biden was in position to get 50% of a lot of the primaries on Super Tuesday. Remember, a not uncommon act for the last 60 years. It just seems odd if your only historic presidential election is 2016. Primaries that were proportional that Bernie needed other candidates to be splitting up for his strategy to work. Suddenly 2020 was 2016 on repeat, especially after Bloomberg and Warren dropped out and he was only running against one candidate with a presence worth mentioning. And the difference? Biden is no Clinton.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Yeah for sure Biden is on the better footing. Lol.

Trump.does not look or act old, Biden looks and acts old. Those of us who have personally dealt with elderly people who suffer from the confusion that often comes with old age recognize.thr symptoms in Biden.

And Trump is still about 6 years younger than Biden. When you are in the 70's, 6 years is a lot more than if you are only 50 years old. The mortality rates rise sharply when younare in your 70's.

I for one was shocked.to learn how old Trump was, I thought he was at least a decade younger than he was. Biden , on the other hand, reminda me of elderly re loo atives I have know who were on the onset ot senility. When Reagan was elected, his age was factor that was brought up. Nonone brought up Trumps age because Trumpm simply doesn"t act old, Biden does.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Trump.does not look or act old, Biden looks and acts old. Those of us who have personally dealt with elderly people who suffer from the confusion that often comes with old age recognize.thr symptoms in Biden.

And Trump is still about 6 years younger than Biden. When you are in the 70's, 6 years is a lot more than if you are only 50 years old. The mortality rates rise sharply when younare in your 70's.

I for one was shocked.to learn how old Trump was, I thought he was at least a decade younger than he was. Biden , on the other hand, reminda me of elderly re loo atives I have know who were on the onset ot senility. When Reagan was elected, his age was factor that was brought up. Nonone brought up Trumps age because Trumpm simply doesn"t act old, Biden does.
    Biden is 3 years older than Trump, not 6. And Trump acts old, but in a different kind of old. The usual "I am right and I refuse to see things any other way" kind of old. Just like my 73-years-old father in fact, although my father is way more coherent in his speech patterns and can read without losing focus.
    Last edited by chriscase; April 12, 2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Continuity
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

The topic of this thread is the 2020 USA elections, not 2016. Please confine your posts to the 2020 USA elections. Specifically, the fact that something happened or was purported to have happened in the 2016 elections is not sufficient to make it on topic in this thread. Points must be directly related to the 2020 USA elections.

If someone wants to talk about perceived parallels between 2016 and 2020 or speculate about what will happen in 2020 on the basis of what happened in 2016, and there is sufficient basis for a discussion, that member can open a thread in the appropriate forum.

Posts that try to broaden this thread to include the 2016 election are off topic, as is commentary on moderation.
    Last edited by chriscase; April 12, 2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: clarification

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

"We found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden, beyond pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden" or how to tank your journalistic credibility:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Moderator Emeritus

That was a good one.

This Tweet has been making the rounds on the internet today, though I found no record of it on the NYT's Twitter feed. It turns out that they deleted it out of embarrassment. Fox reported that the NYT stealth edited its original story to exclude information which could appear damaging to Biden. I don't know whether Reade's accusations are truthful, but the the Times' hypocrisy (now a typical behaviour) should be exposed and opposed. We all remember how the paper sought to destroy Kavanaugh prior to his SC confirmation on the basis of an even weaker allegation, just like we remember liberal press' reaction to the Smollett lies, the Sandmann smile, the Sarah Jeong scandal and the death of Michael Brown.

At this point, no one with any familiarity with progressive activism or the liberal press should be surprised that the application of the "believe all women" mantra (a toxic concept to begin with) is contingent upon the suspects' political affiliations. The emphasis on narrative building over truth (as this incident demonstrates) is a central element of fake news. Will it have an impact of Biden's chances of winning? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Cope; April 12, 2020 at 04:19 PM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

It’s amazing to me that Biden is pretty much being allowed to get away with what anyone else would be lambasted and publicly crucified for, except on I guess Fox and the like. Almost all American media outlets like NYT, Fox etc alla have lost any credibility in my eyes in their reporting on the election.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.