Thread: USA elections 2020

Default Re: USA elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by pacifism View Post
    I don't.

I just think Trump's behavior is worse.
    What behavior in particular?

You thought I was only talking about his sexual behavior?

Trump has had more affairs, divorces, and formal sexual assault allegations than Biden. And yet evangelicals flocked to him in 2016. So much for family values.

It's really a minor issue to me compared to his policy and governing style.
    Well sexual behavior was the context of the discussion.

Also as previously stated conservatives flocked to him, because he did run in a Republican conservative platform. Would you expecting a conservative base to vote Democrat?

Same way progressives flock to a Democratic platform.

Cant say im a fan of Trump, but regarding governing , worse is a point of view.

I'm afraid there's no major party that a Christian can vote for without considerable nose-holding. Whether you vote Trump or Dem, either way you're voting for a whole host of evils. I can't blame anyone for thinking Trump was the lesser evil in 2016, but in 2020 it might be different.
    Pretty much.

fails inteligence check
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I'm afraid there's no major party that a Christian can vote for without considerable nose-holding. Whether you vote Trump or Dem, either way you're voting for a whole host of evils. I can't blame anyone for thinking Trump was the lesser evil in 2016, but in 2020 it might be different.
    True, I guess that's governments for ya. I'm sure I'll be complaining about the next president too because politics is a selfish game.

I think at the end of the day, enough people hoped Trump would settle down a bit and become something closer to the last I-don't-know-how-many Republican candidates, but with some non-GOP leanings on a few issues in a way that might even be a bit unifying. It was definitely a possibility, but his belligerence and ego got in the way, and he doubled-down on himself and his core base. A lot of my closest friends and family voted for him and continue to defend him much more thoroughly than they really need to. I find the whole thing disappointing more than anything.

I never want my president to be a bad one, but that's what I think we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Well sexual behavior was the context of the discussion.

Also as previously stated conservatives flocked to him, because he did run in a Republican conservative platform. Would you expecting a conservative base to vote Democrat?

Same way progressives flock to a Democratic platform.

Cant say im a fan of Trump, but regarding governing , worse is a point of view.
    Fair enough.

Oddly enough, there are quite a few more conservative voters in the Democratic party. Blacks, Hispanics, and Catholics (which has some overlap with Hispanics) tend to vote Democrat even though they are usually more socially conservative than the rest of the party. It's not completely out of hand to expect some evangelicals to be against Trump. And yet, white evangelicals are unusually attached to him. I don't expect a 0% approval rating, but they're one of his strongest demographics. Conservative or not, people who usually put God above government didn't really need to support Trump so thoroughly.

I think that the progressive "woke" streak among Democrats is really a recent development. Historically, the party operated more like a big tent coalition looking out for each other, but then wealthy, well-educated, liberal whites felt like they needed an ideology behind it because they didn't need anyone's help. That's why just ten years ago, not all the Democrats weren't for open borders or LGBT rights and could barely unify behind the Affordable Care Act after a historic electoral victory in 2008. There's some funny footage of a younger Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton talking tough about illegal immigration. I guess it's the progressive's burden to have to disavow their old beliefs all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    What behavior in particular?
    Four posts above this one, I said:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trump has had more affairs, divorces, and formal sexual assault allegations than Biden. And yet evangelicals flocked to him in 2016. So much for family values.

It's really a minor issue to me compared to his policy and governing style.

Do I need to be more specific?
    Last edited by pacifism; Today at 12:08 AM. Reason: added a smiley to sound less rude
    Being a little bit more kind and nuanced on the internet can go a long way.
    ---
    Looking back, I think I would find me-from-the-past to be an insufferable idiot if I ever had the displeasure of meeting him.