Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTX 1080 Ti vs GTX 980 Ti Benchmarking Results

Default Re: GTX 1080 Ti vs GTX 980 Ti Benchmarking Results

I just upgraded to GTX 1080 Ti and I only notice a bit of a bump on the frame rates .

I agree, but "good enough" could be achieved in a number of different ways. I'm not expecting revolutionary new battery technology, but there are pretty impressive marginal improvement being achieved every few months. Li-ion battery density has gone up decently over the last few years, and manufacturers have improved to a point where packaging and fit of Li-Ion batteries has improved to a point where 5,000 mAh batteries in smartphones is not only possible, but becoming more available. We've seen the same trend in laptop space too actually, but a lot of laptops have squeezed in the biggest batteries that are legally allowed on aircraft. AMD's new Renoir chips have actually made significant progress in semiconductor efficiency to increase battery life, instead of simply relying on bigger batteries. I'm hopeful that we will see something similar in the mobile space as well, Apple has been a leader in battery life in general but it's hard to achieve Apple's results without such a closed and controlled ecosystem.

That said, Snapdragon 865 brings notable power and performance improvements.

As far as desktop graphics cards are concerned, I've been hearing promises of 4K gaming for years at this point. Hell, I remember when JayZ2Cents promoted the GTX 970 as a "true 1440p" card. It was really just an "entry level" 1440p card at best, capable of 60 average fps in 1440p on some titles. 4K gaming has been much the same, especially since the bar for "gaming" has been raised to 144FPS on average or better, along with acceptable 1% and 0.1% frame minimums. Top tier cards this year may actually yield something similar to the GTX 970 a couple years ago. The 3090 may approach 120FPS on 4K in most titles or at least close to it.

For reference, the 2080TI is 70-80 FPS avg 4K on Far Cry 5. So 40-50% faster than a 2080TI may actually yield very close to 120FPS 4K on all titles.

In regard to lack of framerates, check if you have other bottlenecks, whether the CPU, storage, or a hard cap on framerates by the game itself.

Undoubtedly battery capacity appears to have new life breathed into it, I'm inclined to think more due to the efforts of the potential of the electrical car industry niche. What's good enough for consumer battery life, would depend very much on the role of the item. You can't. or shouldn't, consume media more than sixteen hours per day, so you could get used to an overnight recharge. Combine that with fast recharging, or wireless recharging, or even automatic recharging. Our commuter trains have the facilities available to plug your laptop in, to power or recharge it. At this point, I'll say that good enough is sixteen hours of battery life.

Intel appears to have bit on the big/little core concept of shoving background processes on energy efficient cores, while reserving the big one for more involved sprinting' to be fair, I thought that was the likely intermediate future for a lot of devices that needed efficiency; I don't recall which discussion it was, or even if I actually clearly understood what was said, but that in terms of manufacturing, it might just be better to have the same cores all around, but have those underpowered to achieve that goal, whether through some software hack or hardware limitation.

There's too much development going on in interconnected fields for anyone to actually predict what's going to happen. I do know one thing, that for most consumers, they've got to be worried financially, and the reason most of them spent any money on computers last quarter would be the need either for entertainment or commute from home. I could be way off base, but a base five hundred bucks, not including games, versus fifteen hundred, not including games and potential hardware upgrades, seems to tilt towards consoles.

Coming back to framerates, they'd have to be affected once you'd switch on all that promised eye candy, especially at four kay, which I think is the supposed selling point for the new discrete cards; if I understand the new 3090 correctly, it is three lanes thicc and will eat six hundred watts.

To be honest, this more dramatized angst on my part, since it's too premature to actually have a grasp on the gaming card market, before we know the capabilities and prices of both the new generations of graphic cards, and even then, unless I can make a case of opportunity cost to justify buying a high end card now, divided over presumably the next three years, I'll probably end up with a more reasonably priced second hand twenty seventy super.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Interesting rumour that nVidia has run out GDDR6X memory, and will be cancelling some speculative models like the thirty seventy with sixteen Random Access Memory, and thirty eighty with twenty.

Will now have to hunt harder for a twenty eighty.

Presumably, Radeon launch still on platform.

I'm somewhat disappointed by the fact they discontinued manufacturing FE models. Those were the coolest ones price:performance:looks wise.
    Yeah that would definitely their sales & even more so if the rumours about Navi are true. Some "leaked" benchmarks claim the the GPU can clock at 2.4-2.5 GHz range even.

But my intended purchase is planned in March, 21. So hopefully all this dust will settle and i would know real performance and thus can make a smarter purchase. I'm already using a 1080Ti@1440p, So i'm in no rush.

A lot have come to the conclusion that was switch and bait, a small production run at an attractive price with a really expensive cooler, purely for marketing.

Despite the supply blackeye, pure demand will ensure that any that come onto the shelves will get snatched up.

Unless there is a viable alternative.

Oh yeah, March is immediate post Chinese New Year, where they have to kickstart off production again.

Also, if they're hitting those frequencies, they'll be consuming about as much electricity as the three thousand series.
    Last edited by Condottiere 40K; October 23, 2020 at 10:50 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Fingers crossed for Big Navi then
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12