Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Age Mod- Installation Help (non-Steam)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3rd Age Mod- Installation Help (non-Steam)

Everything is as it should be. As you do not have the Steam version and it appears to be installed into the correct folder the only logical explanation would be that you do not have the kingdoms.exe file in the game's root directory. Because those are the three situations when you would get that message.

So let me ask: do you have the kingdoms campaigns installed?

The fact that you can apparently run Stainless Steel without that message suggests a resounding 'Yes' as answer and if so then I am out of ideas. So do try to start Stainless Steel and see what happens then as well.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 06, 2020 at 01:16 PM.

Hi,

Stainless Steel is working absolutely fine which seems surprising.

Let me know if you think of anything.

Blog Entries

Only thing I could think of is that you have a directory\installation issue, eg that the path to your BAT file's location is not mods\third_age_3 but possibly mods\third_age_3\third_age_3

It looks correct in Medieval II Total War/mods/Third_Age_3 (unfortunately!)

Thank you for your help though.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Could you post screenshots of your base medieval 2 directory, your mods directory, and the third age directory itself?

Blog Entries

I am getting the feeling it's something so totally obvious that it never crossed my mind....

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Aye, it could well be; seeing the directories is a good start in finding such an issue. I never could do well with a problem without handling it myself, but seeing the layout beats not seeing it at all.

Hi all,

Thanks for still looking into this.

MTW2 Directory: https://imgur.com/a/Z6VKWdc
    Mods Directory: https://imgur.com/a/W1QY2x4
    3rd Age Directory: https://imgur.com/a/IYL32jy

Let me know if you need anything else!

Blog Entries

Yeah - it was blindingly obvious. There is nothing in your M2TW root directory (https://imgur.com/a/Z6VKWdc) other then DirectX installation files. Makes me wonder how you got Stainless Steel to work.

There is no 'packs' directory in there either which makes me think that it's not your root directory to start with as the game simply doesn't work if there is no packs directory in the root directory. Difficult to say where the FUBAR is as you do not include the path in the screenshot.

Underneath a screenshot of my Stainless Steel directory with the path - kindly provide a similar one for your Third Age directory and the game's root directory:

Last edited by Gigantus; April 09, 2020 at 10:51 PM.

Hi,

Hope this helps (and provides a fix!)

MTW2 Directory: https://imgur.com/a/0fsEj8c
    3rd Age: https://imgur.com/a/TzA5QhB

Let me know if anything else is needed.

Blog Entries

The 3rd Age set up is fine and should work by simply running\double clicking the Third_Age.bat
    The MtW2 directory is in the right place - I can however only see the directx set up files. No idea why they would be there (neither disk nor steam has that), nor why you have a directory called 'update3', 'cache' and 'custom'. Not sure how your game runs without the 'miles' directory. Never mind the missing 'packs' directory that contains all the game files.

Two questions come to mind:
    1. Under all the DirectX files do you have more files in that directory including a medieval2.exe and kingdoms.exe file?
    2. Is this a legal copy of the game?
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM.

Hi,

I *think* update 3 was the required update for Medieval to install Kingdoms a few years ago. The "packs" file is located in that update file and I can't find a "miles" folder in the MTW2 folder, however there is a "packs" and "miles" folder saved separately out of the game folder. Should they be moved if things are not in the right place?

Image: https://imgur.com/a/1uzXrPN

I can find a medieval.exe file in the update 3 folder but not one for kingdoms.exe.

It is the original 2006 disc!

Worth adding, when I try and run 3rd Age, this is what appears showing the route it is trying to take?

https://imgur.com/a/pN6fFB0
    Last edited by Frunk; April 13, 2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Something is terribly wrong with this installation, especially if Kingdoms is missing and we're talking about the original CD of the game. I'm inclined to say 'burn it down, install anew' after backing up saves and mods. Do you have the CD key for the game? If so, perhaps you can acquire it on steam, thus putting you on the same playing field as (almost) everyone else. I think there was quite a bit of confusion involved in getting you updated. Stainless Steel does registry shenanigans on install that may explain why you're able to run it.

Blog Entries

Original disk and no kingdoms expansion plus a messed up installation = burn it down as commodus says, this is beyond fixing properly.

And if you have the install key (as you should have) then check my tutorial on how to acquire the Steam version INCLUSIVE of the kingdoms expansion as he suggests as well. Once installed follow yet another tutorial of mine on how to make kingdom mods Steam compatible.

Thanks guys, I will take a look. Really appreciate the help!!!

If it makes a blind bit of difference, Kingdoms.exe is now in the C drive location- appeared when I reinserted the disc.

If not, I can look into starting from scratch via Steam

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If your Kingdoms executable is out in the wilderness on C aside from the installation directory, you still have something very weird going on, and you should consider a fresh installation. I suggest working with steam (ideally with redeeming a CD key if you have one), but if you have the original CDs and go step by step (remembering to install patches in correct order), you should end up in the right place.

I will give it a go with Steam. I have the original Kingdoms disc and box with no CD key printed on the booklet. I am guessing it didn't come with one (it would have 13 years ago when I bought it)?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

It should have come with one, as all base CD versions do by default. My 2006 copy had it in the box just above the CDs.

There's a distinction to be made here though - is it just the Kingdoms discs and not a gold edition installing the base game? If so, part of the problem might be there. You should either have a bundled version or a separate set of Medieval 2 CDs, assuming I'm remembering properly. Whatever has the base game should carry the CD key - just kingdoms discs by themselves do not, and by themselves, are not enough to play the full game.

I have to admit, I increasingly wonder how Stainless Steel is working unless you have the base game somewhere in that collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    I have to admit, I increasingly wonder how Stainless Steel is working unless you have the base game somewhere in that collection.
    That's the bit that threw me completely.

And yes, the key is only on the original game's box (2 CDs) - the kingdoms installation (1 CD) is an expansion\add-on. The kingdoms installation is actually updating the base game fully to 1.03, the only patch required is 1.05 - which unfortunately comes in various flavors. The Total_War_Kingdoms_105_EnFrItGeSp patch is fairly universal, though.

None of this is obviously required for the Steam installation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast