Thread: Reforms

Summary's Avatar Biarchus

Default Reforms

Love the way how DeI implements the entire reforms of updating an army. Especially the Roman reforms, of which the true strength isn't in the upgrading of the troops themselves, but rather the change from which class they hail from. The Marian reforms makes the main stay of the Roman legionaries draw from the 3rd class Proletarii, which is the biggest buff to the Roman military machine upon the reform. I wish something similar was available to other factions (Spartans drawing from 2nd class, ahistorical I know but wouldn't it be fun to imagine Sparta and other nations in a sandbox game would change their laws and relax the criteria for citizenship and enrollment, just like the Roman's did). But even as it stands right now even the current system is amazing!

Absolutely loving DeI, it makes the game seem more realistic and fun.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Reforms

I think that some choices about pop class are there, besides historical reasons, so to have variables and differences for the game itself.
    Otherwise you'll always end using the same gameplay pattern for every faction.

it's pretty easy to change pop calss though. If you need a quick tutorial I can write it down here.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; April 01, 2020 at 08:20 AM.

Default Re: Reforms

For the first time, I'm playing longer campaigns (150+ turns), and I found that the reforms are actually a necessity, not just to fight Roman legions but the reformed troops of other factions. Just recently, two full stacks of some of my veteran soldiers were annihilated by the Galatians. Despite the fact that they were full of Silver Chevrons, their spears and armor were now simply inferior to the new Celtic legionnaires that the Galatians had just brought in. I was forced to reform and re-equip my armies, fielding sword dominant Thorax units to counter the new threat.

I had always thought that the reform troops were just for some new fun and flavor, but it turns out your early game roster does become redundant, and these cool new units are actually some of the only effective troops in the late game.