Thread: AI (enemy)Units Not Acting Cohesively

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Default AI (enemy)Units Not Acting Cohesively

Recently dived back into RS3 as I want to fight out a diadochi war, I've had this problem on a previous install and have posted before about it but didn't get an answer to solve the porblem

Playing on Steam - ALX.
    RS3 patched to RS3.1.
    1 Turn (Seleuicids and Rome)
    I've copied the Alex formation AI from the 'Important Stuff' folder.
    I've chosen Sinuhet formations and tried Athenogras as well.
    I've tried subbing in and out units stats form RS2.6 and RS3 original.
    M/M

Examples

Battle of Raphia;
    I (Seleucids) attack Ptolemy. I advance. Ptolemy general charges my phalanes leaving his entire army behind him. His phalanx run forward, break formation and run back. Ptolemy dies. The enemy send one phalanx at a time forward. I destroy them one by one.

Battle of Lake trasimene;
    Hannibal attacks.
    Hannibal charges ahead of his army. His numidian cavalry charge head on into my polybian cohorts and don't flank. They lose head to head. Infantry stays behind, but one unit at a time advances allowing me to deal with them one by one. Hannibal stays fighting allowing me to surround and kill him as he's isolated.

This seems to be the case no matter what battle Ai formation I choose and I have subbed in and out the old RS2.6 units stats and new RS3 unit stats.

We're all downloading the same RS3 files aren't we? Is this not a common problem and if so how have you fixed it? Please help
    Last edited by Agrippa19; March 29, 2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: More info

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: AI (enemy)Units Not Acting Cohesively

@Agrippa on Medium difficulty I have found seems to play favorably into the hands of the player, have you tried stepping up to Hard difficulty. I am currently playing as The Seleucids in my Let's Play (H/VH, sinuhet AI battle formation), have a look if you like https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CVtnl-K_27igVB
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; March 29, 2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are....don't confuse
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.RSII_WWC_beta tester.XC_5 Alpha tester
    My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Ducenarius

Playing as Seleucids with the standard BAI, I never had those problems. In Raphia the Ptolemies did an excellent job and gave me a run for the money.

There are single Units charging my line, but most times it is a problem for me, because those are pining my whole phalanx and therefore disrupting my attack, and I therefore have to flank around some troops to deals with those units, which again exposes those flankers to the Enemy main line.... can lead to some very problematic situations, especially if those are high defense Units like Armenian Heavies...

Domesticus

Sounds like RTW AI to me

Also, single phalanx units charging you seems better than when it has 2 lines of phalanx and it just sends them into your center making one big messy blob.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Seems like it's just me then. I'm beginning to think its maybe something to with steam or windows 10 but I don't have this problem with other mods, it's specific to RS3. Ive been playing roma on and off since 2012 and I've noticed a huge change in AI battlefield behaviour in a game breaking fashion since this update but I just don't understand why it's only me?

Just to be clear I don't mind this as in I don't like how it performs, I mean it an a way that it's unplayable as the enemy exhausts itself reshuffling its lines and units don't respond appropriately to my actions, whereas before and on other rtw mods they do. I just don't get it as this is my favourite mod I just want to get the battles to work as they used to for me.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Update: so after swapping out more files I tried out the 'higher lethality' stats combined with Sinuhet formations and I've noticed a significant improvement.

This is on Alex engine on steam, just found it strange that all the other files lead to such manic behaviour. It's been reported before but I think development on the mod has slowed down so it wasn't picked up on sadly.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa19 View Post
    Update: so after swapping out more files I tried out the 'higher lethality' stats combined with Sinuhet formations and I've noticed a significant improvement.

This is on Alex engine on steam, just found it strange that all the other files lead to such manic behaviour. It's been reported before but I think development on the mod has slowed down so it wasn't picked up on sadly.
    Both RS 2.6 and RS 3.1 edu files are completely broken imho ,
    take edu , battle movement modifiers and desc strat from rs2.5 and copy to 3.1 for starters for a better experience altogether , {fix cataphract elephants though and remove thrace from roman generals}
    Then fix the script to your liking ...hey presto ..its like night and day.