Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PROPOSAL] Extra moderators for the D&D forums.

Default [PROPOSAL] Extra moderators for the D&D forums.

I have been an active member of the D&D for over five years now, and I have recently come to the conclusion that there are too few moderators to police the forum. To the best of my knowledge, there are only two active moderators (Abdülmecid and alhoon). Not only is this an insufficient number to properly manage all of the threads, it also unfairly overburdens the current staff. I had briefly raised this issue with Tango some months ago (after one particular thread got out of control), but since there has been no movement in terms of recruitment, I propose that at least one more moderator be added to the D&D. I further propose that at least one of the Post of the Fortnight managers be granted the privileges necessary to conduct the competition with ease (ie. the power to edit posts).

With that in mind, and in addition to a general discussion about the need for more staff in the D&D, I further suggest that those with an interest in taking on moderator responsibilities in the D&D let themselves be known here. If there are any suitable candidates (ie. experienced citizens who're active in the D&D), then we could either move to a popular vote (election) or have the administrators empower their favourite choice.
    Last edited by Cope; March 29, 2020 at 08:33 AM.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Default Re: [PROPOSAL] Extra moderators for the D&D forums.

Support

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I can see the red text divine entity already coming and saying, 'you can't do that, talk about it in the moderation commentary'.

There honestly looks like a rock and a hard place between competent and willing candidates for the DD. It's not an easy spot to recruit for both trusting people not to light a fire under the entire team's ass and luring outsiders in to deal with the most volatile part of the site short spikes of curial politics. If you can't draw internally, then you have the gatekeeping on people who aren't active there enough or might not understand the ways of the section. If moderators are added, a list of potentially capable people should be made, and then they should be asked (assuming this wasn't already done as I thought this was the standard procedure). I do think the section looks like it could use a few more hands, if only for peace of mind or a bit of diversity.

And I think the problem will end up pretty apparent when you're already limiting candidates to experienced DD regulars. I think something would have slipped if moderation hasn't come up with the few candidates they'd be willing to swallow on those parameters and then approached them already.

I'm a bit of a hard-ass on permission access, but I also wonder how necessary it is to give PotF managers straight up mod permissions. I'm sure they won't abuse it, but I still believe in access control, and Gig has made good points that posts are pretty accessible from what is submitted already. I don't feel strongly about it, though. I get the convenience arguments and I get anyone being a stickler on giving out those powers without a better case for why they're needed and how they're used.

Moderators by election is probably never going to be allowed (having 'popular' in the name of how they get in already makes me weary, personally), and I'm sure at least some administrator or another will be looking at what comes of this if they don't shut it down or tell us to bug off. I thought I saw that moderators get in both from the goodwill of the moderation team in general and from the will of the hex overseeing them.

If we had an election, I envisage it being a nonbinding vote on the community's choice. The admins will always do as they will. In any case, I'm reasonably confident that there are some qualified people willing to take on the role, so I doubt that the current staff has sought to recruit them recently (if at all). This thread will at least allow us to see what support there is for more mods in the DD and if there is anyone willing to adopt the role. I could have posted this in the mod comm thread, but that is primarily for discussing moderator activity vis-a-vis infractions.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

If memory serves (from before my time) then moderators were elected at some point. Didn't work out because the 'popularity' reason I think, eg appointing the goat to tend the garden.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

With all that said, still think it's worth looking at and getting thoughts on. Might be another angle to this or some legitimate curveballs in self-nominated candidates.

Well I (we) could nominate candidates, but that would be pointless unless they actually want the job. That's why they should make themselves known.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if everyone with a shot would want to just put themselves out there or would even really check this section to find out, especially since it certainly isn't an official request.

Again, the point of this thread is primarily to draw attention to the fact that the D&D (in my view) is in need of more moderators. How we actually get there is largely irrelevant.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Librarian's content, yeah. Scriptorium, specifically. If Aex had mod powers for the competition before and that was an official thing, there should be a reason why there isn't precedence now or why that was an exception.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Support this in essence, though I agree with the other posters who have highlighted the difficulty of finding qualified and willing candidates.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I’m willing to do it, but whether I’m qualified is for overseers to decide.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

There are plenty of qualified people who a regulars in the D&D (you included Ax).

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ĦAy Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

There are definitely more than two active moderators assigned to the Discussion & Debate section, but of course that doesn't mean that any future increase in manpower is not welcome. However, as Calliagh mentioned earlier in a previous citizen proposal, any subject related to the staff of Total War Center lies outside the remit of the Curia. That being said, everyone is invited to propose potential candidates for the moderation branch and, more generally, possible improvements for the more efficient functioning of our community either here or in the Questions & Suggestions forum.

I support the initiative to add moderators to the D&D.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    There are definitely more than two active moderators assigned to the Discussion & Debate section, but of course that doesn't mean that any future increase in manpower is not welcome. However, as Calliagh mentioned earlier in a previous citizen proposal, any subject related to the staff of Total War Center lies outside the remit of the Curia. That being said, everyone is invited to propose potential candidates for the moderation branch and, more generally, possible improvements for the more efficient functioning of our community either here or in the Questions & Suggestions forum.
    I suppose you can treat this thread as a more of a generic proposal than as something binding (as I stated, the admins will do as they will). From my point of view, Aexodus and Legio would make good additions to the D&D moderation if you would consider them. I don't think there's a question that they're experienced enough and active enough. That said, there might be others who're interested too.
    Last edited by Cope; March 29, 2020 at 02:14 PM.

Support. Will volunteer as tribute.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Support. Will volunteer as tribute.
    Don't expect a response anytime soon - the hunger games have been post phoned. If you are still eager to participate then contact the organizer directly with a CV.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I propose Caduet, Heathen Hammer and Basil II

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Hold on, Akar is clearly the right man for the job here!
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast