Thread: Where to recruit Hypaspistai

Roger Smith's Avatar Civis

Default Where to recruit Hypaspistai

Hi all, I'm playing a Makedon campaign, my first EB2 campaign. Very difficult start, took me several retries and reading a few forum posts to get my strategy right to oust Pyrrhos and take Hellas.

I'm about 70 turns in at this point and I'm sorry for the probably easily-answered question but, where/when can Hypaspistai be recruited? I've looked over the building browser for both Pella and Demetrias, which I understand to be Makedon's two main cities, but haven't found any mention of being able to recruit it. Not in the Military colonies tree or the Hellenistic Polis tree.

And thank you for the wonderful mod, it's been a fun timesink so far during quarantine. Currently taking Ephesos from Pergamon and soon the rest of Asia Minor!

Default Re: Where to recruit Hypaspistai

You need to build a Basilike Patris to recruit Hypaspistai. To build that you need Hellenistic Polis (Pella already is one) and Isoteleia Katoikon (military colonists) I think. It is a limited building so make sure to build it in useful settlements (I usually build one in Pella for RP purposes)

You need to complete the Kingship reform before you can build a Basilike Patris, which allows you to recruit elites.

Thank you both! I looked through the game files last night and found out that the Basilike Patris was needed but wasn't sure what the requirements were for it because it's not in the building browser. I'll do what you said and hopefully get my Hypaspistai and Hetairoi.

It gets unlocked via script after your faction reach a certain size and the number is limited by said script as well. That means while you can set it about anywhere you want, SOME places might be more interesting than others, either for their strategic location, or some added goodies in the local recruitment pools.

Thanks everyone, I finally got the Kingship reform now that I know what was required. I have the option to build the Basilike Patris in Demetrias but I'm building military colonies in Pella instead so that I can have it there, for historical purposes I suppose. I didn't have any military colonies in Pella because I thought you were supposed to save your colonists to build them in far off regions so you could have access to Makedonian troops there, I guess I misunderstood the system.

Is there a way to view the number of colonists you have? I get the notification every turn that I have colonists available and I've never built any colony buildings, so at turn 94 I'm assuming I have quite a few of them...

it depends on how many Metropoleis you have (Korinthos, Antiocheia, Alexandreia, Pergamon, Ephesos and Athenai are starting Metropoleis but other cities can become a Metropolis too). You get colonistis every 16 turns (4 years) for every Metropolis that you have, and you get colonists every 16 turns for every 3 hellenistic polis that you have.
    Building colonist buildings in far away regions is pretty useful as it provides a conversion bonus in some cases, but build one in a safe region (Pella in this case) to be safe and to be able to build the Basilike Patris
    Last edited by antiochos_hierax; March 28, 2020 at 08:06 AM.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

There is no way to know how many colony points you have. You know you don't have any points left when the hellenistic colony disappear from the building browser however.
    So if you really want to know you can save your game and then build helcols in your settlements until you can't add them to the building queue, after what you can reload your save. It requires to have more eligible settlements than colony points obviously.
    Note that you gain 1 colonist every 4 years (16 turns) for every metropolis or 3 polis you have.
    By turn 94 with Makedonia, depending of whether or not you took Corinthos and Athens early on you should have between 5 and 15 colonists... that's indeed quite a few.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

While you can only build one at first, I believe, you can eventually build up to three Basilike Patris governments from what I recall, as I'm playing a Makedonia campaign right now. I have them at Pella in Makedonia, Demetrias in Thessaly, and Korinthos in the Peloponnese. After the Thorakitai reforms around 220 BC, you can also have improved recruitment across the board in factional governments with military colonies, being able to recruit Thorakitai heavy infantry plus Aspidiotai heavy cavalry in Emporion (Spain), Massalia (France), Taras (Italy), Syrakousai (Sicily), and other spots dotting the basins of the Mediterranean and Black Sea. Once you build a huge empire, recruitment becomes a breeze and breathtakingly awesome when Hellenistic colonists are combined with all the Thracian, Illyrian, Galatian, Punic, Egyptian, Persian, Italic/Roman, Iberian, and Gallic allies/auxiliaries at your command.

Right, thanks everyone. I did what you said Domaje and I can indeed build colonies everywhere they're available right now, so I guess I have now worries on that front. I think I've got the hang of the system now!