Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn textures question

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Autumn textures question

Hi fellow modders! I'm making some projects on Westeros universe, so there are some climate features that diverse from vanilla. There's a climate which I want to make summer/winter strat map changes, but winter season will have autumn textures (already done that). But seems that on tactical map I will have winter with snow. Do you know any mod with autumn textures on battle map?

I use EBII environment, so I know where to find textures to change them, but it's a huge amount of graphical work which I want to avoid.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Autumn textures question

To achieve that you will need to disable the winter environment for that climate in descr_geography if memory serves. The guys (and Mak) in the IWTE forum might be of help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    To achieve that you will need to disable the winter environment for that climate in descr_geography if memory serves.
    don't think so - he still needs to have 'winter' so he can have his difference between summer/autumn - if he removes it he'll just be stuck with summer

@bitterhowl - sorry I don't know anyone who's done autumn textures - Westeros variants are the only things with fixed seasons that I can think of that would have contemplated it.

If you have trouble with snow turning up on the building textures where you don't want it you may need to swap around which climate you use where, see this

Mediterranean climate uses variations/south_european
    semi-arid, sandy_desert & rocky_desert climates use variations/middle_eastern

Westeros 1.0 map was reorganised to take advantage of that (I think the deserts ended up being the perma-frost areas)

(IWTE should let you copy paste climate sections if you need to switch)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    don't think so - he still needs to have 'winter' so he can have his difference between summer/autumn - if he removes it he'll just be stuck with summer
    After further contemplation I have to agree with you - I must have been thinking of an experiment I did to use 'winter' textures (on the strat map, mod using a 12tpy script) to simulate seasonal flooding of the Nile and Euphrates. That was achieved by adding entries in the winter column to the relevant 'summer' only climate in descr_aerial_map_ground_types, so totally unrelated I am afraid.

Many thanks for attention! I'm working with Westeros 0.53 map and already changed it so I can't go to 1.0 version. My solution is to set climate that allow summer/winter changes to that region. Just wanted to replace winter battle textures to autumn. At least - to summer, so thanks for your link to wiki, I'll find textures path. Is it possible to change them manually, without IWTE?

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    Many thanks for attention! I'm working with Westeros 0.53 map and already changed it so I can't go to 1.0 version.
    yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to use the 1.0 map (I don't think they've given permission anyway), just that it was an example.

My solution is to set climate that allow summer/winter changes to that region. Just wanted to replace winter battle textures to autumn. At least - to summer, so thanks for your link to wiki, I'll find textures path. Is it possible to change them manually, without IWTE?
    If the climate already has a separate set of winter textures then all you need to do is overwrite them... If you need to add new texture names you can do geography.db changes the old way by allowing regeneration from the text file - BUT that wipes out all the distance colours in the .db - you also shouldn't leave the file to regenerate each time as it can clog up the game memory. Hex editing the geography.db isn't particularly practical either... & if you need to introduce new trees/sprites via the Vegetation.db I think you'd definitely need IWTE.

If you're going to settle for the 'autumn' battlemap looking like summer, and you do use IWTE you should be able to get it to just copy that climate's summer info into its winter.

I got permission to 1.0 stuff but I will stay with my own map. I haven't much time and got no experience with IWTE at all, so I'l just copy summer to winter I think.

Got one more issue - in forest battles I got a bug with flickering groups of trees while camera moving. Tryed to rebuild geography - no effect. It was with original vegetation and with EBII too.

There's various discussions around about the tree flickering - only one I could find was this
    Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The density of trees that can cause a problem is relatively low (I think about 50%) - vanilla Alpine climate has the problem if the battle map ends up with a lot of forest areas
    So you could reduce the percentage of forest assigned to forest_dense in the vegetation_distribution table in the geography/txt/db for that climate - or try and have less of the strat map ground type/height that's generating the problem (note: it's not a direct relationship)

Bad news for me, seems that I have no descr_geography.txt in my mod at all, just rebuilded geography_db via .cfg

All I got is descr_geography_new.db. So I need them both - descr_geography.db and descr_geography_new.db? And where should I read about editing that? Sorry for noobish questions.

Blog Entries

descr_geography_new.txt is available in the packs. Unpack it as an individual file as described here.

oops sorry missed this - and you don't need descr_geography.db - I just get lazy and call "it" the geog.db etc - its only the descr_geography_new.db that's used

EDIT; to read about the geography file - the RTW one is very similar and described by Muizer here

Thanks, I got unpacked vanilla. I mention "bad news" because of absence of modifyed for mod map descr_geography file. And I got no information how to modify it.

I find some information in a tutorial about new climate adding.

Thanks, I got unpacked vanilla. I mention "bad news" because of absence of modifyed for mod map descr_geography file. And I got no information how to modify it.
    They probably didn't go from the .txt file - as I tried to explain earlier there are serious drawbacks with doing that. ...and if they didn't generate from the .txt file there isn't a way of recreating one that I know of.

Seriously try IWTE! I've done a quick wiki page which explains just the functions I think you need here;
    https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...ography_new.db

Sorry for such questioning, I dislike such people myself but now absolutely got no time to dig in this.

So - if I remove alpine climate from map, will this flickering trouble be solved this way?

So - if I remove alpine climate from map, will this flickering trouble be solved this way?
    For a vanilla version I think it would... but I'm not 100% sure

...and if you're starting with someone elses modded descr_geography_new.db I don't know if they might have introduced the problem to other climates (though it's relatively unlikely - all most people do with it is change the textures)

I did some stupid things such as using vegetation folder from EBII and descr_geography from Westeros. Since I got permission on WTW stuff I may use it. So I replaced vegetation to WTW one, got coniferous trees instead decidous and practically no flickering! Have to do too many things at once so at this point this decision is pretty enough.

I did some stupid things such as using vegetation folder from EBII and descr_geography from Westeros.
    That would be 'interesting'

If that's my descr_geography from Westeros v1.0 you need to watch out for using a combination (I think it's unused_2 climate and swamp GT, but I'd need to look it up to be sure...) I adjusted it to get more 'lakes' in the swamp below Moat Cailin, but that works by sinking the battlemap heights a lot lower than they would normally be based on the campaign map heights (and adjusting the standard variation) - if you use that combination on areas that are already low in campaign map heights you'll get suicidal battle maps where the troops deploy (and die) underwater!

erm, if you are trying to use my descr_geography, would you like a hand with the mod?

That's will be just miraculous to get your hand on my mod!

upd. Definitely need professional help with that, because with WTW vegetation I have snow-covered coniferous trees in summer season, and snow ground textures. I don't think it should be snow in the North in summer, I got no lands beyond the wall on my map, so maybe it's becayse of that.

Additionally - seems that EBII trees models has better quality, so I'd like to add some of them.

upd.upd. Rebuilded geography and got now groung textures without snow for summer.
    Last edited by bitterhowl; April 07, 2020 at 11:21 PM.

Well, I'm using IWTE now and it's really very good source.

Next task for me is to make Dragonstone as black volcanic black ground on battle map. Could you advise any source for such textures?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast