Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Sengoku Jidai (a mod you never thought Shogun 2 needed

Default Re: Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Sengoku Jidai (a mod you never thought Shogun 2 needed

Please, when will we have a departure date ?!
    Wolves are the souls of fallen metalheads.

Default Re: Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Sengoku Jidai (a mod you never thought Shogun 2 needed

Quote Originally Posted by Sonatametalera View Post
    Please, when will we have a departure date ?!
    I might have made some promises before, but I don't really want to do it again. I just don't know how long it will take. We are working on a lot of stuff like I already said. But things are moving along, and when it's ready it will come.
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Hi, it absolutely amazing that pp still modding SW2,so far this is my favorite TW series,and, this mod looks amazing, can't wait until it released,hype!!!

I was having some fun in photoshop, and made a roadmap so we can visualize the project better and keep things somewhat in order. It's nothing complex, but if anyone was wondering what some of our ideas are for the mod, take a look! I hope this answers some questions as well.

The longest part is the first one, making all the units and adding them to regions. We are still in that process. The new 'population happiness' mechanic is not very complex. If you played MoSS, you are familiar with the unrest mechanic. These are basically just new religion types masked as something else, which can cause problems if left unchecked (like Jodo Shinshu religion from Ikko Ikki). It's also possible to spawn different armies depending on the type of population that rebelled, but I think that requires new factions. Other religions will simply be renamed into some kind of a loyalty system, so it makes more sense. We don't have specific plans for the building, tax and other effects on these 'populations' yet, but the general idea is that the player would have to keep balancing his taxes, construction and technology in order to keep their regions 'loyal', both peasants and samurai. Why do all this? Well, religion in Japan at the time was pretty much uniform. Of course there were many different sects, but I don't think people had issues with it. So it's kind of a waste of the mechanic. Also, I think that religion as a mechanic in Shogun never really plays a very major part in the campaign, unless you are Ikko Ikki or fight against them I guess (which will still cause you problems in this system as well). So the only thing affecting your populations happiness is taxes, which you can just cheese by increasing them one turn and lowering on the other (there are some other effects but nothing very serious). With a system of unrest, you can't just keep rising and lowering taxes like there's no tomorrow, because you will have peasants and samurai knocking on your door.

MoSS is a pretty big mod, with a lot of nice ideas for buildings and technology, so I'm not ashamed to take inspiration from it, and maybe expand on it a bit. Plus a ton of people play it so they are familiar with it. Why try reinventing the wheel for 100th time? It just adds unnecessary work imo. As for the upkeep effect, it's basically an effect added to castles which will reduce the upkeep in the region. And then if the army marches to enemy territory, the upkeep will increase a lot, to simulate costs of war, logistics etc. It was not a cheap affair by any means (but it won't be anything drastic).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little presentation

Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Janbāru's Avatar Libertus

That sounds good. Look forward to it

Is there any chance we'll see a standalone tatami mod for ashigaru?

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowmir View Post
    Is there any chance we'll see a standalone tatami mod for ashigaru?
    Well, those assets are actually not mine. They were made by Maloskero, who was working on a project of his own. He asked me if I wanted to use some of his stuff, and I liked them a lot. I haven't heard from him in a while now, so I don't know if he's still working on his mod. But when this mod is released, I can't stop people from using assets (and I wouldn't), so anyone can make what they want, but credit should be given where credit is due.

What do you think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RoCjsWO_vk
    Last edited by skillfultree; April 22, 2021 at 08:07 AM.

It's interesting. I never thought that fatigue was that broken. I always felt that it did meant something after all, because troops usually feel weaker when under fatigue. But I guess that's not true at all. That kinda sucks, but I have no idea how it could be fixed. And I don't really have time to test everything for the mod right now.

Edit: I took a quick look at the tables, and found something interesting. In the fatigue_effects_tables, there are different unit categories, infantry, cavalry etc. He said that fatigue works for cavalry, which is correct because all cavalry units in units_tables have the category 'cavalry'. But for infantry units it's different. They have two categories, either infantry_melee or infantry_ranged, none of which are listed in the fatigue_effects_tables, so no wonder fatigue has no effect on infantry units in shogun 2. Damn, I have no idea how devs could miss something this vital. I didn't run test for this yet, but I'm 99% sure it will work when you add those two infantry categories to the fatigue effects table.
    Last edited by Collateral_dmg; April 23, 2021 at 03:12 AM.

I wonder how this will change the gameplay if its fixed

It should be pretty drastic, since the debuffs get to 50% when exhausted. Fatigue, morale and effects are reworked in our mod, but we will play around with that to find something that works.

Are you aware of the "10th Anniversary" mod? I think the author has worked on units and banners, and it says the assets are free for sharing with the community, maybe it could be useful to you? (Historical unit models and sashimonos are mentioned). The mod is mainly a graphical overhaul and I think it's impressive and very complete, do you think there's any chance of using both mods together? Or maybe you could even join forces?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...?id=2426407554

Quote Originally Posted by Sindathar View Post
    Are you aware of the "10th Anniversary" mod? I think the author has worked on units and banners, and it says the assets are free for sharing with the community, maybe it could be useful to you? (Historical unit models and sashimonos are mentioned). The mod is mainly a graphical overhaul and I think it's impressive and very complete, do you think there's any chance of using both mods together? Or maybe you could even join forces?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...?id=2426407554

I made the sashimono models (not the textures) for the mod, and explained to the creator how to incorporate them in the mod, that's why there are so many variants. I already finished (almost) all the models and textures and designed units for our mod, so there's no need for more assets. We went the route of making unique units for every single province, and almost every province will have units from different clans, meaning different banners (there's about 300 unique sets of banners across clans and regions). So it's not the same as in his mod where all units have 40 different variants. We have thousands of units where each have different sashimono and nobori (there are thousands but they are copies of course).

As for using the mods together, you will probably be able to use the UI and graphical parts of the mod, but definitely not the units.
    Last edited by Collateral_dmg; June 11, 2021 at 05:18 PM.

Hello all, it's been a while. Hope you are doing well

Sorinel and I have been working on the first version of the mod that's good enough for release, and finally it's here! We've been testing and fixing for a while now, but it's your time to play! So, let me explain what you will find in this mod.

Campaign wise, there are more regions than in vanilla, and as you may know from previous posts, the regions themselves are a bit different. What I mean by that, is that the castles cannot be upgraded to unlock more slots like in vanilla. Across the map, you will find castles of different sizes, some with a few slots and some with a lot. Why is that so? Well, Sorinel made some 60 unique castle maps (you will know them if you played strongholds of the samurai mods), and each region is assigned one of these maps. When you do that, it means the castle cannot be upgraded anymore, but at least the maps won't change for one region, which was a bit weird in vanilla imo.

Other things concerning the campaign:

• Some new building chains and bonuses (still WIP as some things are outdated from previous versions)
    • 2 start dates to choose from: 1542 and 1555, with some new playable clans (clan bonuses are reworked as well)
    • General trees are reworked, with new skills (possible changes in the future)
    • The tech tree is disabled, as we didn't really decide yet how we want to design it, but in the future certain buildings and unit abilities will require tech, so don't worry about that
    • There are 9 units available currently, basically based on historical units of the period, so if you are looking for vast unit variety, I'm afraid this mod isn't quite for you
    • Each region has a finite amount of units available (thanks to the awesome database work by Sorinel). This is to simulate population, but of course it's not as good as other big mods like MK 1212 for Atilla. Hopefully one day someone implements it for shogun. The number of available units depends on the size of the castle. Some units require buildings to train.
    • Since each region has unique units, during battles you won't be able to quickly select all units of the same type unfortunately (they are technically not the "same" units), just so you know why this happens
    • As the mod aims for historical accuracy, you will find many different smaller clans recruitable in certain regions across the map (there is no difference between these units in terms of stats), each of them having unique sets of banners for their units. Like I mentioned in some earlier posts, this represents vassals that are too weak to conquer regions themselves, but are there to fight for other clans. The many unique banners will make the battlefields much more colorful (though maybe a bit more confusing to those unfamiliar with japanese warfare). For those ultra hardcore history fans, not all clans have completely historical heraldry since a lot of it was lost to history, so I designed some of it myself.
    • Combat has been reworked, we aim for a bit slower battles. Some tweaking might be done there in the future as well
    • Recruitment and building times are changed to suit 12 turns per year, which means campaign will take longer, 80-100 turns will probably be your mid-game
    • Realm divide is disabled, and taking Kyoto doesn't really do anything, not yet at least
    • Seasons have specific buffs and debuffs, so be careful when going on campaigns against enemies

Also, the mod has some other mods inside already and is pretty unique, so needess to say you probably won't be able to use many mods from the workshop, especially unit mods etc. There can be bugs, glitches and crashes. If you stumble upon something, we would appreciate if you can report it.

What are we looking for exactly?

• If you see any vanilla uniforms or icons (if you are familiar with the game you will know this), glitches in textures or invisible textures, tell us the name of the unit and the name of the region you recruited it from (only if you happen to know that, if you don't no worries). A screenshot would be best.
    • If you get a crash when loading a battle, tell us the region name, which units you have and which units the AI has. You dont have to list each unit of a certain type, e.g. if there are 2 Oda yari ashigaru, listing one is enough.
    • when you conquer a region, if there are two different units of the same type you can recruit, tell us which region it is. E.g., you conquer Nagashima castle, and you see there are two different yari samurai units available.

Some things we are aware of:

• The general uniforms and icons are not matched. It will be fixed at one point.
    • the banner and flag colors for officers and units when zoomed out weren't changed yet, so they will appear off
    • IMPORTANT: When you fight only one unit of an enemy daimyo (sometimes maybe with one or two other units), your whole army could be wiped out when you auto-resolve. As we all know, daimyo were immortal demigods so this is completely fine Joking aside, we just can't figure this one out. Sorinel tried removing anything that could cause it from the mod, but it didn't work. So be warned, and make a save if you are about to do a battle like that. If it happens, simply play it manually and you will be ok.

That's about it for now I think. The installation guide is in the gdrive link, you will find some more info there as well in the Readme file. You will also find a music and sound mod I made, which uses music from the original shogun. I really liked the unique feeling it gave to the campaign, so you can check it out if you want (when you launch the game you have to select it in the mod manager). We recommend Hard or Very hard diffculty, if you are up for a more challenging campaign. We really hope you enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...T5?usp=sharing

Warning:
    The game will take a long time to load with this mod because of it's huge size and many new textures, the game didn't crash even if it says "Not responding". So just wait for a while (you can tab-out), patience is a virtue

Some pictures of the mod
    Last edited by Collateral_dmg; July 13, 2021 at 04:43 PM.

A quick hotfix was made. So if you downloaded the mod, download it again and extract it to your data folder, and replace the old files.

Is this a new version of Stronghold of the Samurai? This has been linked on the front page, but it's titled "Stronghold of the Samurai"

Yes, you are technically correct. We are working together on the mod and the files are still named Stronghold of The Samurai because I already had the campaign files, but since the mod is a work in progress, the name will change. We do not have a new name yet.

Looks interesting! I spent a lot of time coming up with a dynamic and regional recruitment system, it seemed like without scripting (like DEI) the only way was to create unique units for each province - which also required unique buildings etc. etc. So I gave up as it required bazillion new entries (not a big deal after writing a code for it, but wasn't sure if the game would handle that many entries well), but more importantly the possible UI troubles as the units could not be grouped and so on.
    So I went into your tables to see how you did it, I didn't have a lot of time to test (and rpfm kept crashing under that huge db), but if I'm not wrong it seems you created each type of unit for each province, tied them to provinces with region unit resources, made units recruitable through province-specific and non-upgradable castles, and (except specialties) unit caps are static and cannot be increased, did I get that right? Kinda sucks the CA made this so hard for us, but good work!

Surprised to see my climate mod in there btw, it's fine though.

Yes, each unit is made for each region and the cap is static for each unit based on the region. In some regions the cap is higher than another region. This unit cap can be increased, but for all units at the same time through technology tree; or if you make an effect to increase the cap with a building, you would need unique building for each region, with unique effect to increase the specific unit cap for the unique unit that is tied to that specific region.

But not only we made each unit for each region, we also made each unit for each clan. Because the units have unique textures and sashimonos for each clan. There is no color swap here.

PFM will open each table even if it will say "not responding". You have to wait 5-10 minutes max. Otherwise it would be impossible to make changes, and I made changes all the time haha. Just have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by balparmak View Post
    Looks interesting! I spent a lot of time coming up with a dynamic and regional recruitment system, it seemed like without scripting (like DEI) the only way was to create unique units for each province - which also required unique buildings etc. etc. So I gave up as it required bazillion new entries (not a big deal after writing a code for it, but wasn't sure if the game would handle that many entries well), but more importantly the possible UI troubles as the units could not be grouped and so on.
    So I went into your tables to see how you did it, I didn't have a lot of time to test (and rpfm kept crashing under that huge db), but if I'm not wrong it seems you created each type of unit for each province, tied them to provinces with region unit resources, made units recruitable through province-specific and non-upgradable castles, and (except specialties) unit caps are static and cannot be increased, did I get that right? Kinda sucks the CA made this so hard for us, but good work!

Surprised to see my climate mod in there btw, it's fine though.
    Yep, just like Sorinel said. He made all the unique units for clans and regions.

I wasn't aware whose mods exactly we used. There was a mod for seasons we tried but it didn't work, then Sorinel found one which does (I guess yours). There are other mods included in this overhaul as well, and when we release the full version I will try to give credit to all who deserve it

I realize people are probably on holidays, but would love if we hear some feedback and thoughts. I know not many people come to this forum but still, many expressed their interest so far. But anyway, the mod is not yet on steam so it's to be expected I guess.