Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Sengoku Jidai (a mod you never thought Shogun 2 needed

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Sengoku Jidai (a mod you never thought Shogun 2 needed

Mind blown

Default Re: Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Sengoku Jidai (a mod you never thought Shogun 2 needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Mind blown
    Haha

I'm designing units by giving them individual armour pieces with custom colours and patterns, especially the samurai. This will make them more unique on the battlefield, and with many new textures and units designed specifically for their own clans, there will be hundreds and hundreds of different samurai on the battlefields. The ashigaru on the other hand will have some kind of uniforms as you can see in the pics. Clan mons will be displayed on their torsos and jingasa helmets.
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Laetus

Do you have a start date in mind for your mod yet? There are more than a few major clans that are left out from vanilla Shogun 2 that would be interesting to play as such the Amago, Asakura, Ashina, Hosokawa, Imagawa and the Miyoshi. I would much rather play as any of these clans then a ahistorical ninja Hattori clan which never really played a major part during the Sengoku Jidai.

One thing I always wondered with Shogun 2 modding is why not have multiple start dates? Theoretically you could use both the RotS and FotS DLCs as different maps to do what you want.
    Different start dates, more factions to choose from and so on. It'd be a lot of work though.

Quote Originally Posted by skillfultree View Post
    One thing I always wondered with Shogun 2 modding is why not have multiple start dates? Theoretically you could use both the RotS and FotS DLCs as different maps to do what you want.
    Different start dates, more factions to choose from and so on. It'd be a lot of work though.

That should be possible but like you said a lot of unnecessary work. The easier way is to just make another mod for the same campaign that only changes factions and start date, which you then load with other mods. That's what we plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsath View Post
    Do you have a start date in mind for your mod yet? There are more than a few major clans that are left out from vanilla Shogun 2 that would be interesting to play as such the Amago, Asakura, Ashina, Hosokawa, Imagawa and the Miyoshi. I would much rather play as any of these clans then a ahistorical ninja Hattori clan which never really played a major part during the Sengoku Jidai.
    We currently plan on making 2 campaigns. One starts around 1542 and the other around 1580s, when Toyotomi Hideyoshi rose to power. All the clans you mentioned will be present, but I'm not sure if every clan will be playable. And yes the Hattoro will be replaced with Rokkaku. There will also be many new clans because the map has a lot more provinces. And in the first campaign the Uesugi is replaced with Nagao clan and Tokugawa are Matsudaira. I'll try to figure out if there's a way to make a script that changes their names and flags when conditions are met, similar to the shogun script.
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

LordKainES's Avatar Ducenarius

I have two questions:

Since your units are pretty awesome and look historically faithfull in terms of aspect, would you make them available in the future so we could make a good use on them in other overhaul mods such as Master Of Strtategy?

It could be nice to have your mod and also your units available for use in others.

And the last one:

What about agents? I think it could be nice to have new models also for them, for a more visual authenticity. (it's something that I don't know why no one count on).
    Last edited by LordKainES; June 05, 2020 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKainES View Post
    I have two questions:

Since your units are pretty awesome and look historically faithfull in terms of aspect, would you make them available in the future so we could make a good use on them in other overhaul mods such as Master Of Strtategy?

It could be nice to have your mod and also your units available for use in others.

And the last one:

What about agents? I think it could be nice to have new models also for them, for a more visual authenticity. (it's something that I don't know why no one count on).
    Yes of course, everything will be available for use. That's what modding is all about imo, people helping and learning from each other. This mod takes inspiration from other mods, or takes stuff from other mods as well. So it would be unfair to say that anything I make is off limits. And since the mod will be public, I can't stop people from reusing assets anyway (not that I would do that). I have a feeling that you think this will never be released

As for agents, I'm not sure what you mean. I personally don't find anything wrong with them, and it's not exactly easy to modify them since they are not composed of individual body parts but have one mesh for the whole model. So unless I make something completely new (which I have really no experience in) it's unlikely to change.
    Last edited by Collateral_dmg; June 06, 2020 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    Yes of course, everything will be available for use. That's what modding is all about imo, people helping and learning from each other. This mod takes inspiration from other mods, or takes stuff from other mods as well. So it would be unfair to say that anything I make is off limits. And since the mod will be public, I can't stop people from reusing assets anyway (not that I would do that). I have a feeling that you think this will never be released

As for agents, I'm not sure what you mean. I personally don't find anything wrong with them, and it's not exactly easy to modify them since they are not composed of individual body parts but have one mesh for the whole model. So unless I make something completely new (which I have really no experience in) it's unlikely to change.

No, for God's sake xD

Just saying that apart from your overhaul, would be nice having your units available for other mods also.

About the agents, I meant to mod the outfit they wear... but yeah, I did not realise that they cannot be modded the way units do...

And now, speaking about "what is" and "what's not" moddable there was something I have always been curious to know... if it is possible to put scabbards that work into campaign characters and make them fit with the sword when the character draw and withdraw it...

For the moment the only character to have a scabbard that fits with the katana on campaign is the ninja... maybe taking a look on how it works on the him... I know this is pure aesthetic, but would be cool to have scabbards even on campaign.

No, for God's sake xD

Just saying that apart from your overhaul, would be nice having your units available for other mods also.

About the agents, I meant to mod the outfit they wear... but yeah, I did not realise that they cannot be modded the way units do...

And now, speaking about "what is" and "what's not" moddable there was something I have always been curious to know... if it is possible to put scabbards that work into campaign characters and make them fit with the sword when the character draw and withdraw it...

For the moment the only character to have a scabbard that fits with the katana on campaign is the ninja... maybe taking a look on how it works on the him... I know this is pure aesthetic, but would be cool to have scabbards even on campaign.
    Don't worry everything will be available

I could change the textures of the agents but not really the models, tho I don't think it's necessary to change anything. And as for the sayas on campaign, I'm not sure how to add that, but I'll try looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    And as for the sayas on campaign, I'm not sure how to add that, but I'll try looking into it.
    Really appreciate it!

I know it is something not important at all, just aesthetics but would be nice if there is a way to make the sword fit with the scabbard... as it does on the ninja agent when he draws/withdraws his sword.

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward for coming updates on your mod!!!

Ok here's a little update finally. As I promised some time ago, the campaign map. It's more or less the same as Nobunaga's Ambition mod on the workshop. There's still stuff to do, like giving the clans as historically accurate flags as possible, some new buildings for vassal units and a couple other things. Like I announced a while ago, I'm working with sorinel who made stronghold of the samurai maps, which you can already see on the workshop. They are quite amazing. What's a bit different about our campaign is that the provinces can't be upgraded. Now I know this might upset some people, and make you wonder why that's so. I'll explain. We are all tired of the siege maps from the vanilla campaign, which are unremarkable at best. All those coastal castles and sameish designs get boring real quick (not really surprising since there's 5 or 6 design for over 60 provinces). Well this has all changed now, as sorinel made over 60 new and unique siege maps. All those maps are spread around the campaign, which has about 210 provinces. And if we want those provinces to have the unique maps, sadly that means the regions cannot be upgraded anymore. I personally don't mind that though, as usually in the end game all of your provinces end up exactly the same, and you are spamming the same armies. We will try to address that issue by making provinces provide different number of units, and maybe different quality units. So all units will be capped, with ashigaru being more available than samurai, like it was in the time period. By taking provinces you will be able to recruit vassal units as well (like you've seen in the previous pics), indicating, in a way, that you have conquered the clan. I am thinking about making the vassal units smaller in size, which then you can maybe increase by upgrading certain buildings. Vassals in armies usually comprised of smaller numbers, with each daimyo commanding their own regiments. So we will try to at least artificially represent that. I think it will work out pretty good.

As far as units go, I've made most of the textures I want (though I can't seem to stop making new ones ). I still want to extract the unique sashimonos from the hero units DLC so I can use them on hatamoto units, but unfortunately I don't have the uu3d program. So If you have the program or know someone who does, I would be extremely grateful if they could extract the models for me. Thanks for reading, and for being patient

Without further ado, some pics of the campaign map:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I really prefer to have a huge range of maps instead of maybe 6 or 7 varieties as every castle has to upgrade in Vanilla campaign... so fine for me!!!

And Sorinel is really a genious designing maps... really authentic ones... if I still play Shogun 2 is thanks to mods like his and Master of Strategy.

Man, with all this information you are delivering to us I'm pretty sure this mod will give me the immersive Sengoku experience I always dreamt about (with permission of my loved Master of Strategy mod).

Thank you for all your efforts on it really!!!

I'm also fine with no castle upgrades. Keeps the map asymmetrical. Does no upgrading affect all buildings or just the castle?

I'm also fine with no castle upgrades. Keeps the map asymmetrical. Does no upgrading affect all buildings or just the castle?
    Thankfully the building slots can still be upgraded haha. As you know the number of slots depends on the castle level, and there will be bigger and smaller castles. So some provinces will have more slots and some less.

I forgot to ask:

When you say that Sorinel made 60 new castle maps did you mean 60+ appart from the current castles that are already included in his mod?

I forgot to ask:

When you say that Sorinel made 60 new castle maps did you mean 60+ appart from the current castles that are already included in his mod?
    I'm not exactly sure since I didn't look at all of them. All I know is that there are 63 unique battle maps. I would say all the maps he already made are among them. So if you played his mods you know what you can expect.

I'm wondering whether to include the iconic uma-jirushi and hata-jirushi banners. They could act as a single unit on the battlefield, a strong point of the army that could be a rallying point or something like that, with various abilities to inspire troops. It could give a different dynamic to battles. The fighting was fiercest around these battle standards.

They would look something like this (surrounded by elite hatamoto troops of course):

Last edited by Collateral_dmg; June 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM.

Laetus

God yes, that would be so amazing 😫
    You may have already seen it but this translation of the O-umajirushi is a wonderful source http://o-umajirushi.xavid.us/mobile/

Why not add them as part of a units banner?

Why not add them as part of a units banner?
    Yes that's what I meant. It would be a unit of hatamoto 'guarding' it. The problem is that not every clan had these, so it would be imbalanced if I gave them to bigger clans and not smaller ones. I guess the smaller clans can have the hata-jirushi, maybe with slightly different stats.