Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

  1. #1

    Default Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    After a long hiatus from EB, I've started a Pontos campaign in EBII. I'm having a fantastic time with the mod, but did have a couple of questions/confirmations that I can't seem to find definitive answers for in the player guide.

    1. I've taken Sinope with its Hellenistic Polis. I know I can't upgrade it to a Metropolis, but will it still (by itself) provide me with colonists eventually? Or will I have to take additional Hellenistic settlements? I saw in a thread discussing a previous EBII version that you needed 1 Metropolis or 3 Polis to get colonists, but wasn't sure if that still held true for 2.35.

    2. Do I need colonists of any kind to construct my local Laon military colonies, or just an appropriate government in the province? Since they convert to Eastern Imperial culture, are they only available post-reforms? I assume there's limited value in constructing these in my core provinces in Asia Minor, as they'll provide the same recruitment I already have there? Or do they unlock really powerful new units?

    My thanks in advance, and apologies if the answers are readily available somewhere I missed.

  2. #2
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,677

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    After a long hiatus from EB, I've started a Pontos campaign in EBII. I'm having a fantastic time with the mod, but did have a couple of questions/confirmations that I can't seem to find definitive answers for in the player guide.

    1. I've taken Sinope with its Hellenistic Polis. I know I can't upgrade it to a Metropolis, but will it still (by itself) provide me with colonists eventually? Or will I have to take additional Hellenistic settlements? I saw in a thread discussing a previous EBII version that you needed 1 Metropolis or 3 Polis to get colonists, but wasn't sure if that still held true for 2.35.
    Pontos is in a slightly strange position with colonisation and the polis. You can't upgrade them, but you can use them. You still need either one Metropoleis, or three Poleis' to get colonists. That means taking them from the AI.

    That will then allow you to build Hellenistic Colonies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    2. Do I need colonists of any kind to construct my local Laon military colonies, or just an appropriate government in the province? Since they convert to Eastern Imperial culture, are they only available post-reforms? I assume there's limited value in constructing these in my core provinces in Asia Minor, as they'll provide the same recruitment I already have there? Or do they unlock really powerful new units?

    My thanks in advance, and apologies if the answers are readily available somewhere I missed.
    Foreign Colonies require no colonists, just the right governments. They will preclude Hellenistic Colonies, though. They're available from the start for Pontos, but do convert to a "foreign" culture initially, since you start Eastern Tribal.

    Note they do not provide the same recruitment as you already have, the whole point of them is that they're settling outsiders. They also provide only professional-grade units, not levies, so they're more efficient in the recruitment they provide.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Excellent, thank you Quintus. I guess I'll try to limit my use of Foreign Colonies for now to avoid excessive culture penalties (although I suppose it's not a bad idea to have some Eastern Imperial culture built up for when the reform triggers).

    One follow-up question. I see in the player guide that the Strategos ton Philon government (which seems to be my best pre-reform government) provides either Galatianised Spearmen or Uzali, in addition to the Iranian Heavy Cavalry and the Ambaktoi Kington. Does it just vary province-to-province which one you get? It looks like building that government in Sinope gives me the Uzali, but will I get the Galatianised Spearmen instead if I put that government elsewhere, like in Galatia itself?

  4. #4
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,677

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    The Galatianised Spearmen are a post-reform unit - the Uazali are basically just filling the slot until the reform.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Oh, I see. So post-reform, I can't build any more Strategos ton Philon governments, but I'll be able to recruit Galatinised Spearmen in my provinces that already had one? And then upgrading my existing Strategos ton Philon governments to Hypobasileia will get me the chariots, but I'll no longer be able to recruit the Galatinised Spearmen in those provinces (unless there' some colony/other building that also gives access to them)?

  6. #6
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,677

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Oh, I see. So post-reform, I can't build any more Strategos ton Philon governments, but I'll be able to recruit Galatinised Spearmen in my provinces that already had one? And then upgrading my existing Strategos ton Philon governments to Hypobasileia will get me the chariots, but I'll no longer be able to recruit the Galatinised Spearmen in those provinces (unless there' some colony/other building that also gives access to them)?
    Not the Pontic reform, the ThureosReform on turn 60-ish. But yes, after your Imperial Reform, the above will apply.

    The Galatianised units come from the Foreign Colony in Anatolia, primarily.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Great, thanks again for your help. Eagerly awaiting the Thureos reform then.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Great, thanks again for your help. Eagerly awaiting the Thureos reform then.
    Dunno about that, I prefered Uazali in my game. You can use Thureophoroi instead of Galatianized Spearmen, they're a bit better IIRC, but Uazali are, thanks to their sheer numbers, more unique and useful. I kinda missed them in my game after reforms.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Dunno about that, I prefered Uazali in my game. You can use Thureophoroi instead of Galatianized Spearmen, they're a bit better IIRC, but Uazali are, thanks to their sheer numbers, more unique and useful. I kinda missed them in my game after reforms.
    Ah, interesting. I've felt more need for competent spear units (and would rather not rely too much on Greek ones for variety/RP reasons) early on than I have for shock infantry, but I guess Thureophoroi could also fill that role pretty well. I'll be sure to grab a few Uazali when they're available.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Ah, interesting. I've felt more need for competent spear units (and would rather not rely too much on Greek ones for variety/RP reasons) early on than I have for shock infantry, but I guess Thureophoroi could also fill that role pretty well. I'll be sure to grab a few Uazali when they're available.
    Well, if you want competent, Ambaktoi Kingtoi are your troops.

    I guess it's about the way you play. I prefer using small amount of high quality troops as main line (Ambaktoi Kingtoi and Phalangitai) and lots of trash like Uazali and Sphendonetai as reserve rather than a lot of medium level troops like Thureophoroi, who are used only as core of "rebel whacker" regional support armies.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Question on Pontos Governments/Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Well, if you want competent, Ambaktoi Kingtoi are your troops.

    I guess it's about the way you play. I prefer using small amount of high quality troops as main line (Ambaktoi Kingtoi and Phalangitai) and lots of trash like Uazali and Sphendonetai as reserve rather than a lot of medium level troops like Thureophoroi, who are used only as core of "rebel whacker" regional support armies.
    Fair enough. I'll certainly try to include a couple of the Ambaktoi Kingtoi as well, but I do prefer trying to have a bit more unit variety for historic/RP reasons where possible. Can't yet recruit phalangitai beyond the questionable pantodapoi ones, but will also look for them as well once I have the Hellenistic colonies available.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •