Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

We've had first Opifex yes, but what about second Opifex?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

Usually I'm fiercely opposed to bloat. Don't add stuff, unless it really adds something. And one thing that I'm sure the TWC has no scarcity of, are medals, so you may have seen me ridicule them a bit. However, the three medals here would each replace each other. So it's not like the forum is going to become more bloated because of them.

The competitions have a few with great skill, hardware and games, who win most of the time, and the majority, who win rarely. For the latter, even bronze is a challenge. For the former, silver is just something to cruise through.

So I'd say support, except that the constant 6 win brackets aren't exactly ideal. Make it easier in the beginning and space it out more later on.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Usually I'm fiercely opposed to bloat. Don't add stuff, unless it really adds something. And one thing that I'm sure the TWC has no scarcity of, are medals, so you may have seen me ridicule them a bit. However, the three medals here would each replace each other. So it's not like the forum is going to become more bloated because of them.

The competitions have a few with great skill, hardware and games, who win most of the time, and the majority, who win rarely. For the latter, even bronze is a challenge. For the former, silver is just something to cruise through.

So I'd say support, except that the constant 6 win brackets aren't exactly ideal. Make it easier in the beginning and space it out more later on.
    Yes, I agree, the 6 win brackets could be adjusted.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Citizen

Here's a mathematical way that would reflect the Pareto distribution (which can be expected in this kind of competition): Bronze at 2, silver at 6, gold at 14, next one at 30, then 62.
    As the exponentially increasing bracket might be a bit extreme it can be capped at different numbers:
    gap cap 30 -> 2,4,6,14,30,60
    gap cap 20 -> 2,4,6,14,30,50
    gap cap 16 -> 2,4,6,14,30,46
    gap cap 8 -> 2,4,6,14,22,30

Since even 8 would mean one would have to win once per week for 2 months straight to get from one level to the next, it's already somewhat extreme (though on the positive side, we have 3 weekly competitions), so that one would probably be best. Maybe add a unicorn extreme one for Caligula to go after, e.g. a final one at 60.

As far as naming is concerned it'd probably be best to stay with metals. Plenty of expensive metals to go around. Platinum, Palladium, Iridium, Rhodium,...

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

though on the positive side, we have 3 weekly competitions)
    One of them don't give points though. The Pareto distribution does look good imo.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

We should add the UESW to the points consideration.

Grandfather everyone in with medals but start the count over.

​​

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Well, personally I don't mind reviewing all these award points. My thoughts have always been in the direction of increasing rewards. But here you need a really competent strategy, so that the awards do not lose their significance for the winner. In other words, they should not be easy to get, but also not become something unattainable. We need a middle ground.
    As for the UESW. We have two main competitions POTW and GPOTW, if we're talking about pictures, where people can show their creativity. Not only that, creativity is encouraged in these competitions and points are given for it. UESW does not involve graphic improvements or other creative work, so for what should give points? Let's approach this carefully.
    By the way, we can discuss this here indefinitely, but if Hex doesn't see the point in the sentences, then this is the end of it. Why not go to the thread that Cailagh pointed out for discussion?
    Last edited by Alexander78; March 26, 2020 at 03:32 PM.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If hex doesn't see the point in it, it's all pointless anyways wherever it's redirected; yet the entire thread has become something of a suggestive body (in an institution that was practically founded as a suggestive body if I'm not terribly mistaken), and it is as capable of doing so here (with arguably more exposure) for the idea bouncing as it would be to clog into the commentary that will eventually move on as streams of chat inevitably do, albeit at least slower than discord.

There could still be merit to a properly formatted post arguing for the expansion of awards. For my part I don't really see the point at this juncture, but if there's a bit of passion for it, might as well get the thoughts out.

Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

So some revised ideas...

I. Add UESW to the points system. 1pt for a UESW win. I believe this is the same for the POTW and GPOTW.

II. Grandfather in current medal winners and continue point system at current win levels.

III. New suggested levels:

Emerald: 25 or more wins.

Ruby: 40 or more wins

Amethyst: 60 or more wins

​​

The House of Baltar

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    So some revised ideas...

I. Add UESW to the points system. 1pt for a UESW win. I believe this is the same for the POTW and GPOTW.
    Nah I'm opposed to that. GPOTW and POTW are worth points cos you can be creative and use filters and make em look really good. UESW is just for plain vanilla screenshots, which generally aren't very impressive in comparison. Also there's been 495 UESWs... are we gonna work out all the previous winners and add em up? Maybe thats what your 2nd point was about?

Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Nah I'm opposed to that. GPOTW and POTW are worth points cos you can be creative and use filters and make em look really good. UESW is just for plain vanilla screenshots, which generally aren't very impressive in comparison. Also there's been 495 UESWs... are we gonna work out all the previous winners and add em up? Maybe thats what your 2nd point was about?
    I guess there would have to be a line drawn somewhere stating which previous wins would count towards medal status. Making everyone start over seems a bit harsh as well.

When we created the POTW medal system we had several very dominant members who had racked up a collection of wins prior to the proposal being implemented. I believe that was Toboe and Crypel, but we reset everyone's wins to zero to start the process. They were active participants who would have qualified for medals if their overall win status had been recognized. Both your superlative artists who really had tons of talent. Many thought it was unfair that they had to start from zero.

I think some allowance would have to be made for current wins for active participants maybe.

UESW does require some skill to get a good capture. It is a basic procedural element in good screenshot technique and should be recognized.

​​

The House of Baltar

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I think the best thing to do is ignore past winners (sorry) and focus on only new winners after the changes are instituted. Similar to what has been done with the TGC, where point tallying began only after the competition began.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I'm opposed to UESW giving points, even though I'd benefit from it the most . Due to not giving points, the norm is for a tie to end in a dual victory rather than a revote, which certainly won't stand if this is implemented.
    The new levels for further medals I can get on board with.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Citizen

UESW could give one point. But then the other two would have to get two at least, since they require more work.

EDIT: Oh btw. a restart makes zero sense. The goal set out at the start was to continue the competitions, not end them. If we restarted at zero, then the whole point of having more than gold would be void since everyone would be at zero again, with months or years before someone got past it. I know that Akar was trolling, but just to make sure. And also to show how much better a citizen I'd be compared to him.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; March 29, 2020 at 01:48 PM.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I was specifically referring to awarding points for competitions not previously part of the award scheme, i.e the UESW. I didn't suggest we totally restart the competitions, rather that we don't tally up points for all of the old competitions.

Citizen

whups ye then I agree with ye. But only if the UESW is really worth the effort. I think Athelstan & Co are more knowledgeable on the matter, so they should decide how it should be done.

also WHEN R U GONNA COMPETE IN GPOTW?!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Maybe an informal poll to review some of the options. I will put something together soon.

​​

The House of Baltar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12