Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Worldwide Pandemic - how is it effecting you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default A Worldwide Pandemic - how is it effecting you?

The novel coronavirus COVID-19 is wreaking havoc here where I am at. Not medically, as we don't have a confirmed case in the immediate area, but economically and logistically. I can list a few of the changes that have occured just within the last few weeks.

1. Work at home. All work now done online until further notice.

2. Supplies. The markets have been picked clean the last few times I have been shopping. Apparently not an issue with stock but keeping it on the shelf's.

3. I have had to postpone several medical appointments for myself and my family. These have been delayed at least several months.

So what about your neck of the woods?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Worldwide Pandemic - how is it effecting you?

Norway here, currently there's 1926 confirmed cases and 7 deaths.
    Uni, school and kindergardens are all closed. Kindergardens are open for children of medical personnel who need to work though.
    All restaurants and cafe's have closed and most shops have. The art gallery I work part time at hasn't, yet.
    Doing uni work at home, we're getting online lectures now. Bit finnicky, but it works.
    Just stuck inside with my family for the past and coming week, apart from leaving the house for a walk every now and then to get some air and sunlight.
    The government has forbidden people to go to their cabins, which is a pretty big deal here. This is to prevent fluctuation and smaller counties hospitals being overwhelmed. Laws have also been changed to give our gov' more direct power. Looks like we're in store for a lot of business bailouts or "crisis packs". Reserve army has been deployed for the first time in peace times. So things are pretty serious here, though there are the few idiots who still do social gatherings. A lot of students are also going home, bringing the virus with them.

Oh, and borders have been closed and all that.
    On a personal note I'm managing. Haven't gone this long without partying/drinking since I started studying, I missed a hot date and I am feeling a bit shut in being surrounded by family at all times, I've gotten much more independent and used to freedom since I finished school and started uni last autumn. Oh well, I'll manage. I've now cleared all of my bookshelves and sorted the books and all that, done some cleaning, and finally gotten around to start building that LEGO Death Star of mine which has been broken in a box since we moved.
    I'll manage I think.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

It's much the same here in Belgium, only with more cases and therefore more deaths, still not as bad as it could be. (Today the balance was around 3000 confirmed cases and almost 300 deaths). Like in Norway, and I think this is for most European countries (as in the continent not the Union) Uni and school are closed but still provide daycare for children of parents that don't have another option or work in an essential profession (like medical personnel). Everything non-essential is closed and we're not allowed to go far from our home. (like an hour's distance, on foot or bike). No social contact when you go outside. As in Norway our borders have been closed. We're currently experiencing a boom in cases because two weeks ago we had so-called "lockdown parties" so those are now coming in.

I finished Uni in September and am at the moment unemployed (that won't change very soon given the current climate), which sucks but what can you do eh when there's a global pandemic going on. I'm coping quite well tbh, I'm not much affected by this confinement, being rather seclusive in normal circumstances. I've always been very good at keeping myself busy on my own. Still I miss going to the bar with my friends (something we usually do regularly), especially now with the good weather here. The most difficult period, for me personally, still has to come, the festivals this summer. I was going to go to Wacken for the first time this year but I'm afraid it will get cancelled. It's a pity but in the end it is what it is, can't change it now can I. As long as I don't get ill, I'll survive.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Same, same with more cases and deaths unfortunately. We've been told today that the quarantine is extended for 2 more weeks, until the 15th of April. For now, I've managed to stay at the same level of insanity as before all this crap starts. So far, so good
    Regarding the family, we haven't killed each other yet at home.
    For my part, I'm doing all these little things continuously reported in normal times and I still have quite some work to do at home (re-newing the house) but I'm starting to run out of raw materials
    But I have food. I have beers. It could be worse
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 27, 2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I have beers. It could be worse
    Same. The real crisis will begin when we run out of beer.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I ran out of beer last night. The dark times have begun.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Content Emeritus

That sounds horrible Akar.

I'd say you can come over to my place, I've got lots of Belgian specials to share, but alas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I ran out of beer last night. The dark times have begun.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I've never gone as long without drinking as I have in this period, but we'll manage.

Up to 3500 or so today too Turk, though the death ratio is substantially lower, only 16 people have died so far, with an average age of 84. I think we have I think it's going to be worst for our American friends, with 98925 cases and 1518 deaths yet though.

Good to see you're holding up Lifth, don't go full rampage mode on your family just yet
    and Peaman

Content Emeritus

Yeah KA, I too believe the US will be hit very hard. It has only just begun over on the other end of the big pond. Good to hear it's not so deadly up there in the cold north though (so far). Let's hope it stays that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Good to see you're holding up Lifth, don't go full rampage mode on your family just yet

The house is quite huge actually. It has 3 appartments. We live on the 1st floor but have 2 more above us that needs to be renewed to be rented (that's for my retirement because my generation is going to be anyway by our politics and I don't want to work until I'm 67 or so). So, in the worst case, I can exil myself on the 2nd or even on the 3rd floor

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The US will mainly be struck due to its floundering response to the issue, the scale of the population, and a lot of things we do that inherently contradict good measures that are being rolled out very carefully, some of which are better than others.

My old state on the west coast I'm sure is tearing itself apart as we speak, as it certainly did when the issue began being a nexus of international travel, international people who are sometimes citizens, sometimes not in the first place, a typical high population metropolis subject to usual panic and public crowding, and the greatest irony for retail workers being called essential after years of treatment by a generally unfriendly population in some of its most iconic areas, though I'm sure less central cities on the western portion and the eastern portion in general are holding out well; the eastern portion in general has the glimmer of a midwestern advantage due to its population dispersal and much more 'chill' nature. God forbid you went to the Seattle region or equivalents in California and even Oregon, though.

Connections in Texas indicate that the largest impact so far is economic and social, not so much anything resulting from the disease itself, something supported by my own admittedly somewhat isolated region and even folks I know from the aforementioned Seattle area. There are those who've been hit directly and are in the epicenter of the nonsense, and I'm sure many more will be hit before the day is done. But the scale of the US as compared to Europe should always be considered, alongside its quirks and handling of things that lead some people to treat like handwashing as a novel idea.

If it does anything for you, pray for the medical industry on the front lines experiencing turmoil regardless of where they are in the crisis (though especially those tackling it head on), the distribution and retail industry that must continue to stand and in part subvert the point of 'stay at home' by having people in a public place and varied, often questionable implementation of measures to keep themselves and customers safe (marked by a lot of skepticism anyways and contested by sheer paranoia sometimes), and the people who get a 'vacation', but work to live, and must hope for an employer or government miracle to make ends meet. I'm very stable in the midst of all this after some initial hits, but your mileage looking at the american situation is going to vary extremely. But I do think things will go back up relatively soon after a dip.

Hopefully the summer doesn't result in a tricky paradox, where cases go down, and then the cold comes back and there's another spike of panic because summer didn't murder every last instance. But then, hopefully we'll have a handle on the issue at that point.

Blog Entries

Wow, I am jealous, I'm happy enough just to get my own room to myself
    and Peaman

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I'm still working. I manage a supported housing service (three projects - five staff) in North London; age range 16 - 21 (though oldest client we have is 23). We're still getting referrals and taking in clients, which is beyond my fathoming. I won't ask my staff to do sign up's as we don't know if the new arrivals have been staying at home, at least one openly admitted she hadn't so I had to tell her to self-isolate, she's about as clued up as dish water. Had another telling me it was a conspiracy to do with the 5G network - sharp as a sponge that one. We can't source PPE because we're (rightly) very far down the list after hospitals and care homes, but that doesn't make it any less stressful.

London is very weird right now. Lots of people staying at home and enjoying the novelty, lots of people ignoring the social distancing advice, when it gets dark the crack/smak heads and gangs are on the streets. I haven't seen a police car in two weeks. The government are posting hospital (confirmed) cases only, so the infected and death toll numbers are far short of the reality. Stupidity will kill more people than CV19 would have on it's own. Natural selection.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Well I'm staying at home until probably june or july to protect elderly household members. Nothing to be done about it. Luckily I get good leave pay in the public sector.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

My lifestyle hasn't changed one bit, in fact I can say it has improved since I now work from home so I don't have to get up early.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

I've just scared to death earlier this afternoon when I lost the internet connection. Stuck at home with wife addited to her TV series on Netflix and a 16 years old daughter addited to social networks without internet would have made hell looking like a joke
    Luckily, I've found what the problem was (the cable was ed) and have been able to find another one. Problem solved

Content Emeritus

You averted a real crisis right there Lifth. The apocalypse was right on your doorstep, my friend. Good to see you found a solution.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

You're a lucky man, Lifth. That was a very close call.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Someone chuck him a man of the hour award right now.

But aye, I can relate to you, internet has been really off lately for us too
    and Peaman

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast