Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Worldwide Pandemic - how is it effecting you?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: A Worldwide Pandemic - how is it effecting you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Ah vaccins...
    I'm extremly sceptical. Not for conspiracy reasons or similar stuff. But rather about their real efficiency against a virus which mutates
    There are doubts already regarding the South African and Brazilian strains. So yes, scientists say that it is very easy to update the vaccin. And then what? Are we gonna be vaccined every 3 months due to new strains?
    I am also somewhat skeptical, but not as much you are, instead it is about the side effects a vaccine, any vaccine for that matter, may have and for me that's about feeling a little dizzy.

In my youth, after a school nurse gave me a vaccin against Polio I started to feel dizzyness, so that's why I hesitate to vaccinate myself too soon and I see no reason why I should do that just because anyone else are doing that.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Ah vaccins...
    I'm extremly sceptical. Not for conspiracy reasons or similar stuff. But rather about their real efficiency against a virus which mutates
    There are doubts already regarding the South African and Brazilian strains. So yes, scientists say that it is very easy to update the vaccin. And then what? Are we gonna be vaccined every 3 months due to new strains?
    Given that cases will likely go down in summer again and that flu vaccines are updated yearly as well, I would deem the scenario of annually updated Corona vaccinations neither unusual nor too troublesome. It is much more likely the Corona virus (variants) will become endemic and just as common as the annual influenza wave. Once you have a certain degree of vaccination and several variants have washed over the populace over the years you will also likely get cross-immunities, so new variants won't be as dangerous.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

^^ Future will tell

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Ah vaccins...
    A reasonably sensible idea I heard was that covid vaccines would become another element for annual flu shots, in so many words. Recurring for as long as necessary, which could draw on a long time indeed. I imagine emergency steps could be taken from there if a particularly lethal strain goes out and measures in place already would be normalized.

It's a bleak outlook, but it wouldn't shock me.

Blog Entries

The flu vaccin is not based on the messenger RNA like the covid one. I don't know if we can mix vaccins based on different principle
    The other point is that the more vaccins you mix, the more side effects you can get.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

honestly, I don't see side effects as an issue per se

I mean, I'm sure I could do good use of an extra arm or a third eye, IMO we should not undervalue such opportunities
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    honestly, I don't see side effects as an issue per se

I mean, I'm sure I could do good use of an extra arm or a third eye, IMO we should not undervalue such opportunities
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Looks like my ex
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Well, while the vaccines are likely not gonna work that efficiently (they cant, cuz its virus as Lift say), its still better than nothing, in order to bring the things back to a seemingly normal world. Adn I really miss the normal world. I need more beer

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    I need more beer

This is what it all boils down to.

And being able to hug your grandparents again, but that's not as important. Kidding.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I heard on the Swedish radio today that Denmark is slowly open up the society. Was it tomorrow?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

I need something stronger than beer considering their new rules in Dunkirk
    At that rythm, I'm not gonna die because of the virus but rather due to a liver cirrhosis

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

It's an awful way to go but at least you can say you lived an interesting life

Blog Entries

I'll blame K.A. for showing me the way
    Can I issue a VoNC against him for that?

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I'm sure you'll be able to find some justification in the Constitution for it. (If you look and stretch really good)

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't be the worst thing to have been Vonced for
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Wouldn't be the worst thing to have been Vonced for
    Flinn, can we organize a competition on that matter: Worst voNC reason ever?
    I'm sure it can increase activity here

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well I don't want to get too into the vaccine(s) in a curial thread about it, but suffice to say...please just get vaccinated. I know there is skepticism and it feels like somewhat of a risk, but in short...it isn't that bad. Really.

I've been working doing COVID testing and now vaccinating ever since this started and the importance of the vaccine now cannot be understated. If you want a return to normalcy, well this is the next and most important step.

Blog Entries

Why everytime I say that I'm sceptical about vaccines, people think that I'm referring to potential risks. Due to my job, I've travelled all around the planet, from Greenland to Papouasia. During the last 30 years, I've probably received more injections than most of the members of the site will ever get in their entire life.
    Regarding the covid, I'll probably get vaccinated soon or later because of my job. It doesn't change the fact that I'm still sceptical. Not every country can vaccinate his population like Israel does since last December. The dominant stain in there is the English one. It has been observed that vaccines have less effects against the South African stain, even worse against the Brazilian one because it has changed its protein pikes. All current vaccines are based on these protein pikes.
    What if the virus mutates faster than we can get the majority of the people vaccinated? See what's happening in Manaus in Brazil: the only place in the world with 75% of herd immunity after the 1st pandemic last year. And now, they're living the same nightmare again with the new Brazilian stain.

I'm not going to tell people to not get vaccinated because of all these ridiculous theories about Bill Gates and similar crap or possible long term risks. I just don't share the general optimism about the vaccines efficiency on the long run. Am I right or wrong? I don't know. Future will tell

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well, that could be a discussion to have. I already planned probably doing a blog for my seriously ed covid adventures, not that I like blogs really but I think it's the best format for it and that sort of discussion anyways.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast