Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The CAT thread

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The CAT thread

The bigger tubes are for the exhaust gases, which goes to the chimney on the roof. The heating is burning natural gas.

The tubes are no bridge for the cold. The wooden windows are worse, but the heating costs are still low.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 04, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Thank you for the explanation! I am happy to hear that you do not have to pay crazy sums to keep your lair livable. I guess it is the harsh winters here that have brought about almost universal central heating, so people living in apartments do not have any heating devices as such. And gas is not really used anywhere besides some summer houses on islands without electricity; houses have fireplaces and electric or oil-heated water radiators that are typically quite unnoticeable by design.

Well natural gas fueled central heating are normal here, the direct gas heatings in my appartement are really outdated (from the 1970s), but in the next 2+ years we shall get a gas fueled central heating in the building with water radiators in the appartements.

The building is old, from the 1950s.

So the big radiators will go, more room for replacing the furniture.^^

OT:

Its cold outside.^^

That is so sweet. Chilling inside where it's warm with your cat buddy. And in a human bed supposedly, which is always the best.

I can kind of relate because I just did a store run inspired by Flinn, and it was 0.5 centigrades with some wind and I still haven't got into that winter dress routine. I was really glad to get back in .

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Made Jess a box for the winter
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

not cats, but damn I melted when I saw this pic

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

How cute!

(And pitbulls are a race with a unjustified bad reputation, the problem is as always the (male) owners, which train them to "be sharp" as replacement for their micro cocks. Without being ruined by wrong training they are lovely family dogs!)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Totally agree about the pitbull, sadly you only see them with micro-cocked males
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Campidoctor

This is an interesting box of honorable cats.
    Destination: China

Edit: The honorable cat on the upper right seems to be the reincarnation of lately passed Karl Dall.
    Last edited by Derc; November 26, 2020 at 05:57 AM.

I was first like holy hell, that's a whole box full of bloodthirsty monsters just waiting to grow up and bite someone's head off! But then I read further and learned that micro cocks are in fact the thing I should be worried about. I feel educated now but not necessarily all that relieved.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    How cute!

(And pitbulls are a race with a unjustified bad reputation, the problem is as always the (male) owners, which train them to "be sharp" as replacement for their micro cocks. Without being ruined by wrong training they are lovely family dogs!)
    I'm going to copy paste a reddit comment I wrote about pitbulls recently.

Data taken from this link. People love to go on about how their pit bull will only attack you if they've been mistreated or abused, but the facts simply don't agree.
    The editors of ANIMALS 24-7 collected 5,460 dog attacks that resulted in sigificant injury or death where the breed was clearly identified by animal control officers or others with related experience.
    According to the list, 3397 of those attacks were by Pitbulls. The second highest is Rottweilers, at 535 and then German Shepherds at 113.

Of those 5460 dog attacks, 25% were done by a chained or leashed dog.

55.6% of all dog bite fatalities occur in children younger than 10.

The fact is that Pitbulls are *far* more likely to cause serious injury or death if they attack you, and even *more* likely to cause serious injury or death if they attack your child. In more than two-thirds of cases included in this study, the life threatening or fatal attack was the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question,

Pitbulls and Rottweilers may not be the most aggressive dogs out there (Bearded Collies take that prize, believe it or not)

86.8 percent of American Pit Bull Terriers have passed their temperament tests – higher than Collies, Golden Retrievers, and Beagles.
    But when they *do* attack you, they are MUCH more likely to kill or maim you, per Merritt Clifton,

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
    I have friends with pitbulls that I get along with great, but I've also seen these dogs go ballistic at the site of another dog or person they don't know (especially in a stressful situation). They may not be the most aggressive breed of dog, but they are BY FAR the most deadly breed of dog.

It's the same with people who want to keep tigers as pets and then act all surprised when they snap one day and rip off your kids arm or tear apart the neighbor's dog.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Thanks, Akar, for taking the trouble. I would be very interested to learn if these attacks occurred with female owners of pitbulls. Of course micro cocks is a fashionable explanation to unfortunate things in the world, but the statistics guy within me would like to explore the role of animal genetics as well.

They are certainly no dogs for unexperienced or physical and mentally weak owners (your dog knows when you have fear or are upset, being calm and considered, but also authoritarian is important), as they are like Rottweiler strong dogs.

But Pitbulls were quite too popular as kind of dangerous status symbol for gangsters or wannabe gangsters (the famous micro cocks^^), so they were breeded en masse on backyards given to early away from their mothers.

Fun fact: Rottweiler were used to protect the cattle, they have a very strong dominant will and came to Germany probably with the Romans.

But i agree 100% with Lions and Tigers, as you can't controll a 250 kg cat, you can barely controll a 5 kg one.

Thanks god its illegal in Germany as private person to keep Tigers and Co.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 26, 2020 at 01:33 PM.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

They are certainly no dogs for unexperienced or physical and mentally weak owners (your dog knows when you have fear or are upset, being calm and considered, but also authoritarian is important)
    The evidence does not support this claim.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

I did some reading on the subject now and it does seem that they were bred for fighting and killing and, unlike most other aggressive dog breeds, often cannot be called off by their owners if they flip and attack. Owners have been injured themselves just trying to get the pitbull off their victim. Apparently they have this "trigger" that can unexpectedly go off.

One veterinarian wrote that in her clinic it is roughly a monthly occurence that someone's pet dog has been killed or mauled by a pitbull. She said that the animal's fury is so strong that a it can break through a fence to get to a dog on the street that triggered it.

If all that is true, it is hard to understand how keeping animals like that can be legal. And it seems that they are illegal in some countries. If a gun could just flip like that "under stress" and start shooting at people on it's own without the owners command or permission, the gun control crowd would have a field day.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    But i agree 100% with Lions and Tigers, as you can't controll a 250 kg cat, you can barely controll a 5 kg one.

Thanks god its illegal in Germany as private person to keep Tigers and Co.
    A 10-pound cat can be a handful, I agree! I cannot even imagine dealing with a behemoth like you describe.

Have you seen that TV show Tiger King? That is probably the most outrageous show I have ever seen. I was just eating it up; couldn't stop watching. And it really wasn't about tigers, but beasts far more difficult to wrap ones head around . I mean, one just cannot come up with that kind of stuff. A prime example of reality being more incredible than fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    The evidence does not support this claim.
    It does.

As your own link is saying:

A 15-year study in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association identified multiple factors to a fatal dog-bite attack – none having to do with breed. This includes:

• No able-bodied person being present to intervene
    • The victim having no familiar relationship with the dog
    • The dog owner failing to neuter/spay the dog
    • A victim’s compromised ability, whether based on age or physical condition, to manage their interactions with the dog
    • The owner keeping dog as resident dog rather than family pet
    • The owner’s prior mismanagement of the dog
    • The owner’s abuse or neglect of the dog

Four or more of these factors were present in 75.5 percent of the cases examined in the study.

https://maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/

This facts are shared by this source:

Pit bull owners are more likely to be irresponsible

Published, peer-reviewed studies in authoritative journals of psychology and forensic science establish that pit bulls owners as a whole -- statistically -- are more likely to be socially deviant, engage in crimes involving children, domestic violence, alcohol abuse and violent crimes against other persons. (Jaclyn E. Barnes, Barbara W. Boat, Frank W. Putnam, Harold F. Dates, and Andrew R. Mahlman, Ownership of High-Risk ("Vicious") Dogs As a Marker for Deviant Behaviors, J. Interpersonal Violence, Volume 21 Number 12, December 2006 1616-1634, abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17065657; Laurie Ragatz M.A., William Fremouw Ph.D., Tracy Thomas M.A., Katrina McCoy B.S., Vicious Dogs: The Antisocial Behaviors and Psychological Characteristics of Owners, Journal of Forensic Sciences, Volume 54, Issue 3, pages 699–703, May 2009, abstract at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...001.x/abstract; Allison M. Schenk, B.A.; Laurie L. Ragatz, M.S.; and William J. Fremouw, Ph.D, A.B.P.P., Vicious Dogs Part 2: Criminal Thinking, Callousness, and Personality Styles of Their Owners, J Forensic Sci, January 2012, Vol. 57, No. 1, doi: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2011.01961.x, available online at: onlinelibrary.wiley.com.)
    Pit bull owners have engaged in extremely bizarre and vicious behavior, including these examples:

• Laquandra Kinchen Ligons stabbed to death a neighbor who poked Ligons' pit bull with a metal rod to protect the victim's cats. (Pablo Lopez for The Fresno Bee, Fresno woman sentenced to 12 years for killing woman in dispute over pets, http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy.)
    • Matthew Thomas Oropeza killed a man who asked Oropeza to put a leash on his pit bull. (See the article in the Inquirer at Philly.com.)
    • Rashawn T. Washington-Clark ordered his pit bull to bite an officer and then attempted to bite the latter himself. (Charles Winokoor, Taunton police say man sicced pit bull on them, then tried to bite officer himself, https://bit.ly/37eIJcR.)

https://dogbitelaw.com/vicious-dogs/...ts-and-figures

Secondly the numbers of 5,460 dog attacks are recorded in the period from 1982 - 2014!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dog Bite Statistics by Breed 1982 – 2014 | Top 30

Rank Breed of Dog Number of Attacks
    1 Pitbull 3397
    2 Rottweiler 535
    3 German shepherd 113
    4 Bullmastiff (Presa Canario) 111
    5 Wolf hybrid 85
    6 Husky 83
    7 Akita 70
    8 Boxer 64
    9 Chow 61
    10 Labrador 56
    11 Pitbull/Rott. mix 56
    12 German shepherd mix 45
    13 Pitbull/Lab mix 43
    14 Great Dane 37
    15 Pit bull boxer mix 35
    16 Mastiff 28
    17 Labrador mix 27
    18 Doberman 23
    19 Pit mix unknown 22
    20 Cane Corso/Italian Mastiff 21
    21 Blue heeler 20
    22 Bulldog (English) 20
    23 Rottweiler/GSD mix 18
    24 Malamute 15
    25 Pitbull/GSD mix 15
    26 Australian blue heeler 13
    27 Saint Bernard 12
    28 Australian Shepherd 11
    29 German shepherd/Lab mix 11
    30 Golden retriever 11

https://maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/

Which makes in 32 years roughly 171 heavy injuries, including deaths per year.

Another study has reported that 283 Americans had been killed from 2005-2017 by Pitbulls(Colleen Lynn, 12-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart and Colleen Lynn, 2017 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities.).

Compare this to death by guns in the US from 1999-2018:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You are more likely to be killed by a gunowner than injured or killed by a pitpull.

Finally compare the number of deaths (283) to the number of pit bulls:

You have 4.500.000 Pit Bulls in the USA.

So 0,006 % of all Pitbulls in the US are dangerous.

In my opinion are Pitbulls not by their nature a problem, the owners are the problem.

But i respect, that you have a different point of view.

We should agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 26, 2020 at 05:28 PM.

Campidoctor

This is a terrible number.
    Similar to 0.02350451079 per cent.
    I am for a total lockdown.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

<3
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.