Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The CAT thread

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: The CAT thread

Pitbulls and Rottweilers are no dogs for noobs. That's basically it. People should have to get a license to get one, be able to prove that they had dogs before, and be required to prove they have both the time and the knowledge necessary. At least that would be a compromise compared to making them completely illegal, which some of them are across Europe.

I mean heck, I remember one night drunk taking the train home, getting in and seeing through the glass that even though the rest of the train was completely packed, there was this 4-6 people area completely free apart from a woman right next to the glass door.
    So I swoop in, sit down, and oh my, I'm sitting right next to a female Rottweiler who I couldn't see before and who has her huge jaw 30-40 cm away from immasculating me. The owner clearly had had dogs before, and she had trained her Rottweiler well. So I don't expect that dog to ever cause any issues as long as her owner is around as well. But it's still a dog whose primary objective is to protect its owner. So this one just stared at me very vigilantly. If it had had a different owner, it might have behaved very differently.

In general terms, nature (=genetics) is a far bigger factor than nurture in a persons (or dogs) personality. Evolutionary speaking these dogs haven't been bred for too long, so unlike Tigers it can be overcome if the owner knows the nature and knows to train the dogs to act to a certain set of norms, just like humans can be trained to wear a mask even though this is clearly a ploy by Bill Gates to mind control us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I think I already posted this somewhere at TWC, however..

I used to have Caucasian Shepherds, that's a kind of dog that really is for few

long story short: I would have never thought of getting a dog like that myself, but my neighbor and friends, who actually is a shepherd, got some of them because of wolves (few of them actually) and stray dogs in the mountains. However on the second generation he had too many of them and gifted me the first one, I had them for about 15 years (2 generations, they don't live more than 10-11) and I've never seen worse bastards when they decided to become so. Just to give you an idea of the power such dogs have, one of them (Serpente, Snake in english) had a back wider than mine (and I'm a big dude eh) and was able to detach a steel gate from a concrete wall ... more than once

However, my experience tells me that how a dog could react in a given situation depends on: the breed, the character and skills of the owner and the training.. all elements are essential; knowing your dog is the base (i.e. Caucasian shepherds are usually aggressive towards other dogs, the more there are of them the less they can control themselves), being calm and aware of everything that goes around is must for the owner and finally having trained the dog to react with some specific commands of control is very useful.

said the above, I agree with Cookie, Gates' a bastard
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

As i was yesterday with my little male cat at my vet doctor because he got a virus infection shortly after his castration, there was a Mastiff-Stafford-Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix with a head like a bear.

Impressive.

But such big dogs must be educated early as puppy, then its easier to control them later, when they have their full strength.

Ironically those Caucasian Shepherds were a few years ago the new dangerous dogs of all times in Germany, as they became trendy and people owned them, which shouldn't even be allowed to own a chihuahua.

The return of wolves is a theme in Germany too.

I love this dogs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenean_Mountain_Dog

But it would made no sense to buy one, as these dogs need a herd to work with. Its in their genes.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

lol so true, those huge sized dogs with long hair remember of bears

But it would made no sense to buy one, as these dogs need a herd to work with. Its in their genes.
    true again, same with the Caucasian.. I only accepted to get the first one from my friend because otherwise he had to suppress it, but honestly the 4 dogs I had myself didn't have their natural life.. I treated them better than my wife probably, but I'm sure they were bored to say the least
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

too much love for one single pic

That picture is really sweet!

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

As i was yesterday with my little male cat at my vet doctor because he got a virus infection shortly after his castration, there was a Mastiff-Stafford-Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix with a head like a bear.
    I skimmed over this sentence and at first thought you got an infection after you got castrated. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

So I got a wobble cushion to help improve my posture - and also in the hope that it would stop the cat nicking my chair every time I get up.

As you can see it partially worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    too much love for one single pic
    Oh, that is quite something. That could be a litmus test for psychopathy. If you are shown that picture and you feel nothing, we've got some bad news for you.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    So I got a wobble cushion to help improve my posture - and also in the hope that it would stop the cat nicking my chair every time I get up.

As you can see it partially worked!
    What I can see is an extremely upset feline. "How dare you, you descendant of monkeys?!". Well, knowing cats, that almost amounts to animal cruelty

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    What I can see is an extremely upset feline. "How dare you, you descendant of monkeys?!". Well, knowing cats, that almost amounts to animal cruelty
    Indeed, she is very unimpressed! I wouldn't mind but when we bought new computer chairs we left a third exactly matching one downstairs for her... and she still insisted on always pinching mine

Normally if I stand up, by the time I've looked behind me the cat is already on the chair and pretending to be asleep as if she's been there all day! And if she's not on it and sees that I'm heading there to sit down she'll try and race me to jump on it first. (this has sometimes lead to a slightly squashed cat, when I haven't noticed she's already there)

[...].. and she still insisted on always pinching mine

Normally if I stand up, by the time I've looked behind me the cat is already on the chair and pretending to be asleep as if she's been there all day!
    Thanks a lot for elaborating on this. I know that it is annoying and I can understand why some people do not want cat hair in their bed or having the cat on the "good" sofa, but I always feel bad for cats in households where they are aggressively driven off certain pieces of furniture and yelled at.

I don't know, but it seems like the cats' obsession with occupying human space actually somehow has to do with intimacy and sense of belonging. As if it feels good to be where the humans are and where their familiar smell is etc. Do you guys have any other explanation?

Edit: that racing the chair one is actually really funny . My cats have never been *that* keen on getting my seat, although they have been quite keen.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; November 27, 2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Thanks a lot for elaborating on this. I know that it is annoying and I can understand why some people do not want cat hair in their bed or having the cat on the "good" sofa, but I always feel bad for cats in households where they are aggressively driven off certain pieces of furniture and yelled at.
    she's not 'not allowed' she's welcome to be on the computer chair if I'm on the sofa, or elsewhere. She just seems to have developed a thing about it being 'hers' during the daylight hours that I normally want to be on it. She's also welcome to sit on me when I'm on the chair, even though that makes typing a bit awkward... but she doesn't really like that and tries to edge around behind me and then try and push me off

She does generally like to be close to (but not on) us, that's why I was disappointed that giving her a third chair, of her own, between us didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I skimmed over this sentence and at first thought you got an infection after you got castrated. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

Well that would be a drastic measure, as Contraceptives are free available here.^^

Edit:

Normally if I stand up, by the time I've looked behind me the cat is already on the chair and pretending to be asleep as if she's been there all day! And if she's not on it and sees that I'm heading there to sit down she'll try and race me to jump on it first. (this has sometimes lead to a slightly squashed cat, when I haven't noticed she's already there)
    I have the same problem with Akasha.

Everytime, when i go to my PC chair the little whirlwind is already there.

She's now a little bit flater.

No, just fun, i'm always now sitting down cautiously on the first on third of the chair and move backwards if its free there.^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 27, 2020 at 02:59 PM.

she's not 'not allowed' she's welcome to be on the computer chair if I'm on the sofa, or elsewhere. She just seems to have developed a thing about it being 'hers' during the daylight hours that I normally want to be on it.

[...] I was disappointed that giving her a third chair, of her own, between us didn't work
    Yeah, I did gather from what you wrote your cat is not castigated for taking your space. I appreciate that. Morally, one should not expect a member of another species to act against their instinct. Especially if that instinct is about them feeling intimacy and togetherness by sharing the same area with the rest of their family unit. But I've seen homes in which that is the case. Even my mom used to enforce rules on some pieces of furniture when I was a kid. With very limited success. Our cats learned that as long as I was the only human in the house, they could safely lie on the sofa. But when they heard someone else come in, they would instantly get off so as not to get caught.

Provided that my theory is correct, I am not surprised that the third cat chair (I love the fact that you guys tried ) doesn't interest her. She wants the human chair. From the cat's perspective, the third chair is just an object without the familiar scent and the association of where her significant humans spend time and thus not interesting at all. A box might be a whole different thing. Even though humans do not like boxes, many cats cannot resist them.

Now that I think of it, many primitive lifeforms such as human children and morally undeveloped adults display this behavior of valuing things according to the general attention given to them. I refer to kids not paying any attention to a toy until some other child grabs it and starts playing with it. Then it suddenly becomes important and they must try to wrest it from the other child's hands. I recommend trying to recognize that behavior in oneself when it arises and, if possible, trying to get rid of it.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Well that would be a drastic measure, as Contraceptives are free available here.^^
    It's like the catholic church says: contraceptive shmontraceptive

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

BagaturSasha's Avatar Invictus
    Artifex

Blog Entries

My cat Willy is sending you greetings

Leader of the "Creative flame" studio.
    Author of the book "Legends of Moon Landscape"
    also author of the books "Fly", "Volcanorium" and other works too. Mostly specialized on fantasy.

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...r:BagaturSasha
    My Wiki page
    --

What a nice one.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Jess
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

Imgur is giving me much satisfaction with cats these days

full list of pic here https://imgur.com/gallery/5AEPaUn; some of them are really hilarious