Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Photo-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Oh i should have been more specific, i meant with "our" the local Orchards here, which are often not really cultivated and harvested anymore. Especially those with old apple sorts. If you wanne see brown owls, little owls, buzzards, sparrowhawks, then you must to these wild orchards.

And if you want a basket of natural tasting sweet and sour apples.
    I've been grown up with sour apples, literally During my youth there were plenty of wild fruit trees around, nowadays they are very rare, sadly.. there's an apricot wild tree just on the side of one of my vineyard which gives the best fruit one can ever imagine and I'm trying to have it to survive as much as possible, though the tree's very old and has been attacked by ivy; besides, it also reminds me of my dad, who was truly in love with it (he even wrote a short poem about it few months before he died). I honestly miss the old times of my grandfathers, life was harder but better.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post

Thank you for posting these pictures, and thank you for literally getting your hands dirty producing two of my favorite imports from your beautiful country.

Aside from olive oil and wine, I like olives as such, too. Here up north many olives are sold with the stone removed, a practice that you may find barbaric. It always puzzled me how they get them out of the fruit. Also I find it curious that the oil is not really made from the stone but the fruit part, unlike most oils that are pressed out of the hard seed.
    this is a professional one

or people at home use manual stuff like this one

Actually, if you really wonder, there are 3 different levels of quality in olive oil: extra virgin, virgin and pomace. Extra virgin is made with exclusive mechanical extraction of the oil from the pulp and at low temperature (ambient), plus it has to respect some other organoleptic parameters; this is the kind of oil which is sold for direct human consumption, included raw. Virgin oil is similar but does not respect one or more of those parameters (usually there is excessive mechanical extraction or the use of chemical process to extract the oil); this procedure is reserved for olives that won't in any case respect the organoleptic parameters, so they prefer to extract the most of the possible oil from a lower quality olives; this oil is reserved for food preservation (typically tuna, for instance). The pomace is the result of the chemical treatment of the leftover (nuts and exploited pulp) and is used mostly for the production of animal food, or re-mixed with the final leftover, to produce bio-fuel.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    this is a professional one
    I knew it! Separating the stone from the fruit involves a lot of manual labor in despite of the mechanical devices you have at hand. I always wondered how a machine could place the olives the right way around so that one never sees olives punctured sideways. Perhaps I could have looked for information online, but holding on to the mystery until an actual olive farmer explained it to me was well worth it. And, for the record, I have never seen the home appliance. Quite interesting that you have those.

Actually, if you really wonder, there are 3 different levels of quality in olive oil: [...]
    Thank you so much for taking time to explain that. Up here we pretty much only get the extra virgin oils as imports. I really like virgin olive oil in cooking. I guess it is no use to transport lower-level oils too far away. We use rapeseed oil locally for similar low-end purposes.

Blog Entries

I knew it! Separating the stone from the fruit involves a lot of manual labor in despite of the mechanical devices you have at hand. I always wondered how a machine could place the olives the right way around so that one never sees olives punctured sideways. Perhaps I could have looked for information online, but holding on to the mystery until an actual olive farmer explained it to me was well worth it. And, for the record, I have never seen the home appliance. Quite interesting that you have those.
    I don't have anything similar at home actually; all that we do is to produce home made olive oil for own use

Thank you so much for taking time to explain that. Up here we pretty much only get the extra virgin oils as imports. I really like virgin olive oil in cooking. I guess it is no use to transport lower-level oils too far away. We use rapeseed oil locally for similar low-end purposes.
    my pleasure

and yes, here as well 95% of the cases they are using seed oil (any kind of it) for food conservation; afaik virgin oil is only used with tuna as of today.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

afaik virgin oil is only used with tuna as of today.
    Curiously, there used to be a club called Virgin Oil where I live. I think they folded recently but before the crisis. It was notable for being in a really nice building. These kinds of ornate, beautiful stone buildings are commonplace in old civilizations like Italy or Germany (or even Sweden to some degree), but rare in Finland which was an undeveloped country until very recently. Usually those buildings do not house clubs but much more important functions. Everything else is steel, glass, or concrete boxes.

Edit: I cannot figure out this picture thing in this forum, so here you go a link to the wikipedia.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin...874216161).jpg
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; December 16, 2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Lack of competence

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Nice tree! Damn it must have been a nightmare putting all those candle-like lights upward I'll post some pictures of our treeS, probably. You don't do the Nativity, do you?

Curiously, there used to be a club called Virgin Oil where I live. I think they folded recently but before the crisis. It was notable for being in a really nice building. These kinds of ornate, beautiful stone buildings are commonplace in old civilizations like Italy or Germany (or even Sweden to some degree), but rare in Finland which was an undeveloped country until very recently. Usually those buildings do not house clubs but much more important functions. Everything else is steel, glass, or concrete boxes.

Edit: I cannot figure out this picture thing in this forum, so here you go a link to the wikipedia.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin...874216161).jpg
    first, on posting pictures

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Architectural_Detail_-_Helsinki_-_Finland_-_08_%2835874216161%29.jpg/800px-Architectural_Detail_-_Helsinki_-_Finland_-_08_%2835874216161%29.jpg[/IMG]

Honestly, to me it doesn't really look like an old building, the large windows are absolutely a modern trait, early 20th century for sure. I don't doubt that it has a retro style compared to late 20th century, but it's still utterly modern for our standards

Yeah putting all that candlelike lights on branches full of the sharp needles is a way of self punishment.

No, no Nativity story or theme, i'm not that religious.

Blog Entries

Me neither honestly, but it's still a combo here (tree + nativity), no matter the religion.. lol I even have some Albanian friends who are Muslim but do still make the nativity, they just don't put the holy family in it

ah, the power of mass consumption

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

It's the same for me here. It's grown to be more of a cultural thing rather than religious. A Christmas tree needs its nativity scene just like a Belgian needs his beer or a TWC member needs his rep. Your Albanian friends should just put Muhammed inside the crib. (too bad Muslims don't permit any depictions of Muhammed. It could be a huge market I think, especially to troll Christians).

rare in Finland which was an undeveloped country until very recently.
    Honestly, to me it doesn't really look like an old building, the large windows are absolutely a modern trait, early 20th century for sure.
    I find it now that one cannot really underline and elaborate the "undeveloped" part enough when speaking to descendants of ancient Romans and other "Europeans" (yes, people here still have a habit of occasionally speaking of Europe and Europeans as if it was something external).

When Helsinki was made the capital by the new Russian rulers in 1812 for political reasons, it only had about 4,000 inhabitants and probably not much in the way of grand buildings. The old capital Turku (or Åbo by its alternative, Swedish name) had been around for a millennium or so and even had a university since 1640, but the city burned down in 1827. The subsequent generations made disastrous decisions to take down surviving old buildings. The old eastern city of Viborg was lost to the Soviet Union in the 2nd World War. There aren't very many old buildings apart from castles and even those are small and unimpressive by European standards.

Thanks for the reminder to manually add the image tags instead of using the UI controls that don't seem to work right.

Blog Entries

you know, if I look outside of the window on my small attic I can see roman ruins

http://prolocovallesanta.it/page2-2/archeologia/

That is so awesome. You really make that place sound enticing. I would be on my way, if I hadn't heard of your latifundia-style agricultural operations and whips and what not.

Blog Entries

I swear I won't whip you.. not much at the least

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

i will be the whipping boy

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Akar:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Drows are always so sexy..

I 'm wondering if and why they have a gymn in the underworld...

Those muscles are not because of fighting or hard work.^^

From today:

Spoiler for Secular building for public enlightenment

Spoiler for Industrial production proceeds as normal

Spoiler for Food is abundant, in the Soviet Republics

Nice photos, i didn't know, that Straßbourg has an orthodox church.