Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radically improved game experience(IdillaMZ Submod)

Default Re: Radically improved game experience(IdillaMZ Submod)

@QuintusSertorius
    Big rebel stacks means huge problem for AI, and big advantage for player. Huge rebel stacks just dont works.
    And what i need to say, i made much more changes
    Last edited by z3n; April 09, 2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: removed disruptive parts

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Please remember to keep the discussion civil and refrain from unnecessary personal references.

Personal comment:
    We are all modders here trying to improve the game so let's keep it productive. There may be a language barrier, so I wouldn't want to see anyones permission to create a submod revoked by the mod team.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Big rebel stacks do slow the player too though early game. Maybe the AI more I dont know, but if rebels are weaker player would be expanding faster too, and blitkrieg tends to work best agaisnt factions than rebels to be honest as its easy to snipe settlements with poor garrisons specially once the AI has expanded a bit and has a bunch of them to take care of.

It does mean a faster game and some people may like it. But Im not sure it would be more difficult though.

We will either find a way, or make one.

If conquering rebels is to be the hardest part of mod, this is a bad sign of your AI.
    Last edited by Piterx93; April 11, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, all you've done is ruin the early game by short-cutting to the middle game where there are no Rebels, only AI superfactions.

There is no "fix" to stop a player who just wants to blitz the map in 100 turns, not without spoiling the game for everyone who doesn't play that way.
    You are wrong. This mod, that has come suprisingly late is a mod that managed to fix some of the horrible choices eb2 team has made and I hope nobody gets severly offended by this.

Now I have played this mod for numerous amount of hours and everysingle time, no matter how much I play with the CAI difficulty, I spend over 100 turns fighting the same rebels stacks, stack after stack, sieging their full stack towns where I either have to spend 5 - 8 turns to get actual battle or just do the siege battle which, thanks to the huge number of enemy units, consists of me sending my army in two or three ways to center of the enemy town, where all their units are stacked and then pressing then speed up gametime button and waiting for about 10 - 15 minuts.

And after this is done I look on the map to see half of the factions barely expanding by one or two settlements in my hours and hours of gameplay (again over 100 turns), which also means I now have economy and power to take down any factions since they barely expanded at all. That means if I choose to ignore the hordes of rebel stacks and just rush their cities or I want to spend another 50 turns taking over the rest of the map.

Oh and then there are the great spawn rebel army scripts that happen about every 4 turns. They were fun maybe the first two times i defeated them when I though this might change something, like they might not come back, but no they are there spawning for the rest of the game (PLEASE AWESOME MODER WHOS NAME IS IDILL A (MZ) GET RID OF THOSE SOMEHOW YOU WILL HAVE MY NEVERENDING GRADITUTE)

I am trying to be as polite as possible and yet again I hope I didnt offend anyone with my critique, but I find it very hard to see, how would any of this somehow be good for the gameplay or enjoyment for the game.

And from an objective standpoint, they clearly dont, because fighting the same stacks over and over, whos defeating doesnt have any sort of an impact on the game, is tidious and completely lacks in variety.
    WHere the ai of the enemy factions might do something different every game, some new challanges, new suprises, and at the minimum different unit composition. These stacks dont change.

And I am asking myself why does anyone even need to point this out, or why didnt the great developers who created such an ambitious mode didnt figure out this themselves yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Piterx93 View Post
    If conquering rebels is to be the hardest part of mod, this is a bad sign of your AI.
    I dont think its the hardest part. Factions can field off quite the fearsome armies once grown, and even when small they usually punch above their wegiht due to the AI advantages.

The problem is blitzkrieg vulnerability, not that they can't threaten you. Im hoping that maybe with the patch they will protect their settlements better, but the team has already mentioned that this is a recurring problem with AI's limitations. I imagine its not easy to fix (at least without breaking something else) given they have been aware for quite some time and so far they mostly mention just avoiding to do certain things to dont play on this AI weakness. They seem irritated themsleves so I don't see why they wouldn't change it on purpose as its kind of hinted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    I dont think its the hardest part. Factions can field off quite the fearsome armies once grown, and even when small they usually punch above their wegiht due to the AI advantages.

The problem is blitzkrieg vulnerability, not that they can't threaten you. Im hoping that maybe with the patch they will protect their settlements better, but the team has already mentioned that this is a recurring problem with AI's limitations. I imagine its not easy to fix (at least without breaking something else) given they have been aware for quite some time and so far they mostly mention just avoiding to do certain things to dont play on this AI weakness. They seem irritated themsleves so I don't see why they wouldn't change it on purpose as its kind of hinted here.
    Terrifying armies come from "cheats" for AI. Scary armies are boring when AI can't attack.

I do not play this mod because it is boring but I am surprised by the criticism of this small submod. They didn't try to play, and they make some stupid theories.

There are modifications like Bellum Crucis where the game is long without rebels. Strongly rebels are boring. Adding commands to AI as in the tutorials on twc "is_neighbour="true"" is creating an AI passive that cannot siege. Giving AI to too many armies is a tiring monotony. It's just ignorance.
    Last edited by Piterx93; April 12, 2020 at 10:07 AM.

Terrifying armies come from "cheats" for AI. Scary armies are boring when AI can't attack.

I do not play this mod because it is boring but I am surprised by the criticism of this small submod. They didn't try to play, and they make some stupid theories.

There are modifications like Bellum Crucis where the game is long without rebels. Strongly rebels are boring. Adding commands to AI as in the tutorials on twc "is_neighbour="true"" is creating an AI passive that cannot siege. Giving AI to too many armies is a tiring monotony. It's just ignorance.
    To be honest I dont know of a mod where the AI doesnt "cheat" (it does even in vanilla), in fact most are balanced around very hard difficulties which are a strict cheat of the AI the way their were set up in vanilla, and it hasnt been confirmed it does anything else, though some theories are around. That been said, Im sure improvements are possible and that there could be balance without much rebels. Is just not the philosophy the team seems to be aiming for. I guess due to hsitoricity which they value as much as pure gameplay.

I haven't seen much criticism to be honest, mostly questions about what the submod does as it wasnt very specified what were the actual changes at the start, and then diverging views on waht ameks a good camapign. Im sure some people will enjoy the submod while others dont. Im glad it can be around to adress different tastes

I think theres indeed a bit of hostility in this thread though, but to be honest I believe the creator is a lot to blame. No offence, but just saying it improves everything instead of stating actual changes, and then claiming that it has implemented "the absolute best campaign/battle AI" is quite entiltled specially when you don't explain much as he hismelf mentions that he has to play it to be sure lol. Also the fact that he already had to get one of his posts mdoerated due to resorting to namecalling doesnt speak too well of him either. As the mod said himself, it would be too sad to lose the submod because of that.

In this regard your comments of stupidity and ignorance subtly directed at the team dont help the atmosfere really. I guess they didnt do everything wrong if it was worth to create a submod for their mod, wouldnt you agree? Though Im sure they didnt do everythin right either.
    Then to each one is to decide which version they prefer. I do use submods myself too because I dont like neccesarilly every decision the team took ,doesnt mean I need to call them anything due to that.

There is active users like Jurand of Cracow who had a quite different view from the team in regards to gameplay, and have made elaborate points about mod "shortcomings" and suggestions of thinks he thinks would better/more challenging in a different way, but he never had to be disrespectful to do so and I dont think he has gotten any harsh response despite his criticism. Tone and attitude matters.

To be honest I dont know of a mod where the AI doesnt "cheat" (it does even in vanilla), in fact most are balanced around very hard difficulties which are a strict cheat of the AI the way their were set up in vanilla, and it hasnt been confirmed it does anything else, though some theories are around. That been said, Im sure improvements are possible and that there could be balance without much rebels. Is just not the philosophy the team seems to be aiming for. I guess due to hsitoricity which they value as much as pure gameplay.

I haven't seen much criticism to be honest, mostly questions about what the submod does as it wasnt very specified what were the actual changes at the start, and then diverging views on waht ameks a good camapign. Im sure some people will enjoy the submod while others dont. Im glad it can be around to adress different tastes

I think theres indeed a bit of hostility in this thread though, but to be honest I believe the creator is a lot to blame. No offence, but just saying it improves everything instead of stating actual changes, and then claiming that it has implemented "the absolute best campaign/battle AI" is quite entiltled specially when you don't explain much as he hismelf mentions that he has to play it to be sure lol. Also the fact that he already had to get one of his posts mdoerated due to resorting to namecalling doesnt speak too well of him either. As the mod said himself, it would be too sad to lose the submod because of that.

In this regard your comments of stupidity and ignorance subtly directed at the team dont help the atmosfere really. I guess they didnt do everything wrong if it was worth to create a submod for their mod, wouldnt you agree? Though Im sure they didnt do everythin right either.
    Then to each one is to decide which version they prefer. I do use submods myself too because I dont like neccesarilly every decision the team took ,doesnt mean I need to call them anything due to that.

There is active users like Jurand of Cracow who had a quite different view from the team in regards to gameplay, and have made elaborate points about mod "shortcomings" and suggestions of thinks he thinks would better/more challenging in a different way, but he never had to be disrespectful to do so and I dont think he has gotten any harsh response despite his criticism. Tone and attitude matters.
    You think that it can't be done better and that is a problem. If someone does better, you won't even try it because you think it is impossible. You have some theoretical beliefs about creating AI from tutorials on twc and you can't argue that you can do otherwise. In my opinion, he explained very well what he changed.

Some have tested and they like:

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    You are wrong. This mod, that has come suprisingly late is a mod that managed to fix some of the horrible choices eb2 team has made and I hope nobody gets severly offended by this.

Now I have played this mod for numerous amount of hours and everysingle time, no matter how much I play with the CAI difficulty, I spend over 100 turns fighting the same rebels stacks, stack after stack, sieging their full stack towns where I either have to spend 5 - 8 turns to get actual battle or just do the siege battle which, thanks to the huge number of enemy units, consists of me sending my army in two or three ways to center of the enemy town, where all their units are stacked and then pressing then speed up gametime button and waiting for about 10 - 15 minuts.

And after this is done I look on the map to see half of the factions barely expanding by one or two settlements in my hours and hours of gameplay (again over 100 turns), which also means I now have economy and power to take down any factions since they barely expanded at all. That means if I choose to ignore the hordes of rebel stacks and just rush their cities or I want to spend another 50 turns taking over the rest of the map.

Oh and then there are the great spawn rebel army scripts that happen about every 4 turns. They were fun maybe the first two times i defeated them when I though this might change something, like they might not come back, but no they are there spawning for the rest of the game (PLEASE AWESOME MODER WHOS NAME IS IDILL A (MZ) GET RID OF THOSE SOMEHOW YOU WILL HAVE MY NEVERENDING GRADITUTE)

I am trying to be as polite as possible and yet again I hope I didnt offend anyone with my critique, but I find it very hard to see, how would any of this somehow be good for the gameplay or enjoyment for the game.

And from an objective standpoint, they clearly dont, because fighting the same stacks over and over, whos defeating doesnt have any sort of an impact on the game, is tidious and completely lacks in variety.
    WHere the ai of the enemy factions might do something different every game, some new challanges, new suprises, and at the minimum different unit composition. These stacks dont change.

And I am asking myself why does anyone even need to point this out, or why didnt the great developers who created such an ambitious mode didnt figure out this themselves yet?
    Last edited by Piterx93; April 13, 2020 at 04:21 AM.

You think that it can't be done better and that is a problem. If someone does better, you won't even try it because you think it is impossible. You have some theoretical beliefs about creating AI from tutorials on twc and you can't argue that you can do otherwise. In my opinion, he explained very well what he changed.

Some have tested and they like:
    Read my post again. If you are gonna quote something at least read their post and dont sayor assume they think something when the quote itself reveals its not that way. In your quote I literally said things like "That been said, Im sure improvements are possible", "I do use submods myself too because I dont like neccesarilly every decision the team took" and "Im sure some people will enjoy the submod while others dont. Im glad it can be around to adress different tastes"

So in that regard we agree.

Please dont got around saying I believe in things you just assume because it fits your argument despite my messages showin clearly it isnt the case. Its very rude and disrespectful.

Honestly, EBII AI is pretty good. Indeed, the rebel armies are usually the biggest threat at the beggining but as you, the player, expand, you face real opposition from the AI factions who show you the real danger. Still, EBII rebel AI is very good, they attack your armies and even conquer cities from you, especially with the new rebel script.
    Much of the reasoning for the big rebel armies is to preserve independent regions for a longer time and to prevent unhistorical expansion from the AI. There are still things that can always be tweaked and personally, I increased the KP for some factions like Rome to increase the challenge against them. But overall it's quite good in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Idill`a (MZ) View Post
    Testing upgraded version of Piter AI
    Got any progress with your tests?

Selerz's Avatar Civis

Thank you very much for your hard work on this submod! Will play with it today

Modder. your rudeness makes me not want to download. But i most likely will. And i will give it a shot. I think the base mod is still fun. But i also agree with Creator. That the Rebel AI gets boring. I mean once there is more scripts or their garrison / spawn is modified it may be better. But as it is now just like creator said. you fight the same rebel armies over and over. And than you have to fight the AI Who by this time has been doing very little/ not enough to actually be a threat. And you just mop the floor. And this is even if you do nothing for the first 50-100 turns. + if we can make the battle AI use their archers and skirmisher better with a range increase im happy. Also yea as creator said. a lot of times the AI does the SAME things over and over. rome and carthage practically ignore each other for at least 200-300 turns. I have never seen rome leave italy for spain (only greece) And i never see makedon and other certain factions do different things. they all have very consistent pattern.

Edit

Well i installed ur mod. and now my game wont launch. Even used the backups in the download to replace your files. And game still wont launch... so i guess i wont be testing this.

Crash log says this

:33:50.771 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/ebii/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 2410, column 58
    Unknown unit type specified: african exalted infantry

I fixed this by changing it to carthaginian infantry sacred band but you may want to look at this, I did not modify it all when i first DL this file.

Played 2 campaign battles. And wow. I see a difference for sure. My men die a lot more now. and the enemy skirmisher cav, and infantry actually are dangerous now. I Think cav may be a little to strong. I lost a pontic FM because of how strong enemy med cavalry was. Also i can see the AI act better. They charged my Reinforcing army. Made them rout and than fought my main army. And im glad to say in campaign ROME actually took Tarentum and is taking Rhegion now withing the first 15 turns! You know i go many times where even 80-100 turns in Rome still has not capped rhegion. I also finally see Carthage AI expand in Iberia and they are fighting lusitanians now. Even the Massylians are expanding more.

Got to say so far im liking this. Op was right on how the AI is drastically HURT by the Rebel faction spawns. Before they just sat there and did nothing. Now they can actually expand and fight and do diplomacy with each other. I allied with Seleukid as Pontos for the first time in ages.
    Last edited by moisesjns; April 28, 2020 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    Modder. your rudeness makes me not want to download. But i most likely will. And i will give it a shot. I think the base mod is still fun. But i also agree with Creator. That the Rebel AI gets boring. I mean once there is more scripts or their garrison / spawn is modified it may be better. But as it is now just like creator said. you fight the same rebel armies over and over. And than you have to fight the AI Who by this time has been doing very little/ not enough to actually be a threat. And you just mop the floor. And this is even if you do nothing for the first 50-100 turns. + if we can make the battle AI use their archers and skirmisher better with a range increase im happy. Also yea as creator said. a lot of times the AI does the SAME things over and over. rome and carthage practically ignore each other for at least 200-300 turns. I have never seen rome leave italy for spain (only greece) And i never see makedon and other certain factions do different things. they all have very consistent pattern.

Edit

Well i installed ur mod. and now my game wont launch. Even used the backups in the download to replace your files. And game still wont launch... so i guess i wont be testing this.

Crash log says this

:33:50.771 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/ebii/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 2410, column 58
    Unknown unit type specified: african exalted infantry

I fixed this by changing it to carthaginian infantry sacred band but you may want to look at this, I did not modify it all when i first DL this file.

Played 2 campaign battles. And wow. I see a difference for sure. My men die a lot more now. and the enemy skirmisher cav, and infantry actually are dangerous now. I Think cav may be a little to strong. I lost a pontic FM because of how strong enemy med cavalry was. Also i can see the AI act better. They charged my Reinforcing army. Made them rout and than fought my main army. And im glad to say in campaign ROME actually took Tarentum and is taking Rhegion now withing the first 15 turns! You know i go many times where even 80-100 turns in Rome still has not capped rhegion. I also finally see Carthage AI expand in Iberia and they are fighting lusitanians now. Even the Massylians are expanding more.

Got to say so far im liking this. Op was right on how the AI is drastically HURT by the Rebel faction spawns. Before they just sat there and did nothing. Now they can actually expand and fight and do diplomacy with each other. I allied with Seleukid as Pontos for the first time in ages.
    Is AI really that passive now? Honest question, because its a while I havent played but I believe my last games were in this patch given it has been up for a long time. I remember specifically as KH, that I really had to rush and strecth my resources if I wanted to take the polis in south italy before Rome did. In fact Tarento specifically sometimes was taken so quick that I could do nothing, though at times they lost it back to Epeiros which allowed them to step in, and now you seem surprised they are taking them early. By the time I ended the initial war in greece most factions had gone to 2-3 settlements.

Also I almost feel bad for the mentions of how the new rebel sizes and recutiment hurt the AI but seemingly dont affect the player, when I actually feel the effect me a lot on my games too. With a bigger faction I may fare better, but with the ones that start small I usuall can conquer only 1-2 provinces at the start before turtling for a while. Even with biger/richer factions I still strugle with heavilly defended places like Syracuse or Etolia, which can take a while to take. I guess Im worse than I thought at the game lol.

Back on topic, I can see the benefits of weaker rebels though, although it would speed up player expansion notably too, at least early game I believe. The thing is that I believe the EBII team is approaching a rebel faction that behaves more like the mini factions they represent. Potentially even using scripts and a faction slot to make it come more alive. With that idea in mind I see how they want to the strong rebels approach vs weaker ones. For the mod concept it doesnt make sense to make rebels just an early game obstacle that dissapears soon. The modder idea tackles them from a pure gampelay perspective with the other AI factions, aiming just to make the latter perform better, in which case the solution he reached is obvious as it makes the most sense if you are looking jsut for making those factions as strong as possible early. I would have to wait to see the development of the "rebel faction" to see what I like best.

I also want to see the new Rebel AI in their upcoming patch. It may be more interesting to see. But so far i can say i like the BAI and CAI in this mod so far. And yes for me in the lates 2.35 v i have had MANY games on N/N where the AI just sits there and takes like 1 province every 15 years. And yea rome seriously ignores Rhegion and a Tarentum for me. A lot of times So much so that even on the occasion when rome takes tarentum. it rebels back to epeiros and they never even retake or spend another 15 years fighting the Northern italy stacks, while ignoring the entirety of the south.

Also the Range increase i think is really good. Because like i said. Im actually scared of the skirmishers now, they do a LOT of damage. (which i think is good as its the best and only way to represent skirmishers/ attrition that occurred on normal battles before a huge pitched line fight)

Going to play some more today. But it is definitely a change that improves AI deadliness on BAI. even with Normal. i left BAI on normal and CAI is Hard and the BAI is ing tough now.

I also want to see the new Rebel AI in their upcoming patch. It may be more interesting to see. But so far i can say i like the BAI and CAI in this mod so far. And yes for me in the lates 2.35 v i have had MANY games on N/N where the AI just sits there and takes like 1 province every 15 years. And yea rome seriously ignores Rhegion and a Tarentum for me. A lot of times So much so that even on the occasion when rome takes tarentum. it rebels back to epeiros and they never even retake or spend another 15 years fighting the Northern italy stacks, while ignoring the entirety of the south.

Also the Range increase i think is really good. Because like i said. Im actually scared of the skirmishers now, they do a LOT of damage. (which i think is good as its the best and only way to represent skirmishers/ attrition that occurred on normal battles before a huge pitched line fight)

Going to play some more today. But it is definitely a change that improves AI deadliness on BAI. even with Normal. i left BAI on normal and CAI is Hard and the BAI is ing tough now.
    Umm, maybe theres some difficulty impact there. Because I always play with Hard CAI, given AI doesnt recruit mercenaries in lower difficulties which feels really unfair.

What do you mean with a LOT of damage when talking about skirmishers? What situations and types of troops are we talking about? Because part of their deal its that they impact should vary a lot depending on that. I already felt they were impactful in the right circusmtances, but AI use could indeed improve. If by a lot you mean they are whittling down line infantry from the front though, we are having a problem.

Umm, maybe theres some difficulty impact there. Because I always play with Hard CAI, given AI doesnt recruit mercenaries in lower difficulties which feels really unfair.

What do you mean with a LOT of damage when talking about skirmishers? What situations and types of troops are we talking about? Because part of their deal its that they impact should vary a lot depending on that. I already felt they were impactful in the right circusmtances, but AI use could indeed improve. If by a lot you mean they are whittling down line infantry from the front though, we are having a problem.
    What i mean is infantry that should be hurt by skirmisher are hurt. (arab east infantry , other skirmisher infantry, Lightly armored eastern spearman) They dont seem to kill to many phalanx infantry. But let me test some more. just the AI changes with them having more ammo and range makes them act more in battles than they did previously. Oh and javelins to the back hurt a lot.

Just wanted to add. Im about 50 turns in and saw something really cool. Naval invasions! Carthage lost Gader and all spain land. Aurekoi has captured a lot of coast. and even took Gader. The lusitanians actually invaded morroco / province south of Gibraltar. And Carthage took an army in a navy and retook Gader! Also Hayastan for the first time actually wanted to Ally with me without me allying to them. Although i have to say to the creator. I think you may have made cavalry to strong possibly. They Destroy infantry when they flank now (which i guess can be argued is realistic) Not sure if this was an intended change. It really does make game harder.

Just wanted to add. Im about 50 turns in and saw something really cool. Naval invasions!
    I played on very hard/very hard but had the same feelings. Vanilla version remains static for about 60-70 turns, nothing is really happening. And with this mod all factions begin to expand aggressively and it feels more dynamic. I could also recommend you Idilla's music mod, which basically brings back original music from Rome:Total War. With this battles become even more colorful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast