Thread: How raiding actually works?

Default How raiding actually works?

So, by diving into the files, I did find out a few things. All raid actions depends on the "On a Raid" trait, that is achieved by staying a turn in enemy lands and vanishes after 19 turns upon being acquired, and everything related only triggers when you devastate a tile. The only tiles that can be devastated are farmlands I believe (graphics are a decent guide but can be misleading, the only way to be sure a tile is farmland is by right clicking on it, "x Fertility" indicates farmland), and devastation depends on the size of the unit on top of there. A single general will PARTIALLY devastate the tile (the center of the "squre" will gray out and will grow with time), while a full stack will completely devastate all surrounding tiles and possibly beyond.

So, the actual question. Triggers that demand "GeneralDevastatesTile" count every tile devastated on a turn, or just once whenever they devastate a tile (thus shifting favor to either tiny or huge stacks)? How much is raiding income? And how do I see how much I am making by raiding? Because I get some really odd numbers in the finances tab.

Edit: Furthermore, before I forget, raiding income ceases at above 10 settlements OR 10 settlements *and* above?

Default Re: How raiding actually works?

I wish this Script would be modified so everyone can raid. regardless of faction settlement number.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Is devastated land restored with time?

Of course. You can see it on the map. It's a slow process, though.

I think nobody has an answer on the pertinent questions, though?

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    I wish this Script would be modified so everyone can raid. regardless of faction settlement number.
    seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I think nobody has an answer on the pertinent questions, though?
    the income is 800 max iirc. you cant clearly see the summary, unfortunately. i do wish there was a message pop out system introduced for this, but the team decided it would be too repetitive and a nuisance iirc.

800 hundred in general, or 800 for each raiding army? 800 for every tile getting devastated, or 800 when any tile gets devastated? What if the tile is partially devastated? A pop up would be very helpful because I would know how this actually works. Any clue if I can guess the raiding income from the income tab? Like current treasure in campaign map - current treasure displayed in the income tab?

This is actually a fairly easy piece of script to edit. First make a backup of your campaign script file. It's located in /mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt

Search the campaign_script.txt file for the section titled "Devastation Money Bonus".

You will see a separate section for each of the factions that can currently raid. The sections are differ only in faction name and for some factions no bonus once the faction reform is achieved.

For example here is the Aedui section that does not have any reform limitation:

; Aedui

monitor_event GeneralDevastatesTile FactionType f_aedui
    and Treasury < 30000
    and AgentType = named character
    if not I_IsFactionAIControlled f_aedui
    and I_EventCounter HE_DEVASTATE < 1 ; not been notified before
    historic_event HE_DEVASTATE factions { f_aedui, }
    end_if
    if I_NumberOfSettlements f_aedui < 11 ; less then 10 settlements
    add_money f_aedui 800
    end_if
    end_monitor

To add a faction that currently does not get any bonus for devastating tiles simply copy the above section of code and replace the faction name with the desired faction.

To increase the number of settlements just edit the condition:

if I_NumberOfSettlements f_aedui < 11 ; less then 10 settlements

to the desired number or comment out completely by placing a ";" at the beginning of the line and the subsequent end_if statement. (Note that although the comment above says less than 10 settlements the code is actually less than 11 settlements).

You could also increase or decrease the bonus amount or the treasury limitation.

So if you wanted to allow the roman faction to raid at all times and get 2000 per raid rather than 800 you could insert the following script:

; Rome

monitor_event GeneralDevastatesTile FactionType f_rome
    ; and Treasury < 30000
    and AgentType = named character
    if not I_IsFactionAIControlled f_rome
    and I_EventCounter HE_DEVASTATE < 1 ; not been notified before
    historic_event HE_DEVASTATE factions { f_rome, }
    end_if
    ; if I_NumberOfSettlements f_rome < 11 ; less then 10 settlements
    add_money f_rome 2000
    ; end_if
    end_monitor

Save the file and delete the file map.rwm located in /mods/ebii/data/world/maps/base. This file will be recreated when you restart a campaign using the new campaign script. This will not be save game compatible, so if you have an ongoing campaign you'd like to continue save the old map.rwm file under a different name or to a different location. Like the first time you start EBII it will take a little longer to load than normal as it recreates this file.

As far as the mechanics are concerned a general led stack must spend an entire turn in enemy or rebel held territory without moving. Two or more generals in a single stack only collect one bonus per turn for the stack.

Turn X move to enemy tile, Turn X+1 don't expend any movement points, beginning of Turn X+2 you should see the bonus reflected in income. I used to think that you then needed to move a new spot to start the process over as described in the notice but I now believe if you that if you simply leave the stack where it is you will continue to colect the bonus each turn until you move.

Hope this is helpful,
    Caymus

Very interesting, so it actually benefits small stacks. Like, general+1 at most, or even just general.

However, other than the income side, many Barbarian factions also have trait and anciliary lines related to raiding. Do these also require you to keep devastating tiles? Or just devastating one and not moving anymore will work better?

My experience with raiding backs this up. One large stack might destroy an area thoroughly, and might be worth a try if your aim to gut the enemy's economy. But if you want income and several generals with experienced raider traits, you're gonna need to split them up into smaller groups. My ideal spread was around 5 units, including the general.

I'd advise moving your raiders around. While a stack can spread out devastation coming from one place, if you want income, it's probably better to devastate as many "green" areas as you can. That being said, generals can get Poor Raider traits even from this.

For early game Keltoi, any money counts, so raiding should be worth your time. If you're really good with it, you should be able to squeeze out a few thousand mnai from raiding.