Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Commentary & Chat Thread

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: General Commentary & Chat Thread

Well, from the post Akar linked to, apparently it needs to be stated explicitly that search queries based on what can be seen by a human are ok, but using computer algorithms operating on the images themselves are not. In other words, that efforts to thwart reverse image search are there to avoid cheating and are not in themselves the challenge. Yeah I know, seems blatantly obvious .....

Having said that, I think 'guess the historical figure' is perhaps the worst guess game on this forum, as images are usually devoid of clues other than an indication of the period. It's more like "you know it or you don't" than a guess.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Muizer, I agree. There is a difference between googling "17th century dutch kings" to try to guess a picture and just reverse searching the image itself. The first one is absolutely fine, while the second is against the spirit of the game.

And yeah, that should be fine, Flinn. Thank you .

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Very much that^
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

If you guys want to add specific examples on what "cheating" means, that could be done, though I don't really see it as necessary.. I'd consider more pressing to "just" specify that "blatant cheating"*, among other things, is discouraged and might lead to a disqualification

*I say blatant because if they don't confess, how can you prove that they have cheated? As I said, more than cheating itself, is the lack of respect that bugs me.

It remains intended that I won't be chasing people because of this new rule and even if you can still call me in to play as tie breaker or to arbitrate hotter disputes, you'll ought to manage the games yourself. .I mean we are all grown up dudes here, Akar has horns, KA has a crown and a sword and Muizer is a 4000 years oldish alabaster cat.

If anyone has anything else do add, please do so.. I'll move forward with this in a day or two if no one else wants to throw their hat in
    Last edited by Flinn; May 07, 2020 at 04:18 AM. Reason: bugging typo
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

*I say blatant because if they don't confess, how can you prove that they have cheated? As I said, more than cheating itself, is the lack of respect that bugs me.
    That's basically the issue at hand here, I think. Cheating is a symptom while a lack of respect for the game and other players is the disease itself.

.I mean we are all grown up dudes here
    You take that back, old man

Blog Entries

"People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff".
    this is the list of the games where I need to add the rule on the OP..

Name that historical event
    Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc
    Name that historical figure!
    Name that battle!
    Guess Where?
    The Catchphrase game
    Guess the movie from the picture
    Guess the game from the screenshot
    Guess the game from the cutscene

Anyways, since I'm here.. most of the OPs of those games are lacking the rules, what if we'll make a set of common rules, so that everything will be clear? I think we can source what Jom himself used years ago, which will lead to something like

- One person posts a picture/question with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture posted/solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture and then posts their own picture within 24 hours.
    - Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question says that anybody can take his turn.
    - People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff
    can I move on? anything I'm missing to notice/consider?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Artifex

Scrap the reputation bit from the rules. Alternatively, remove the limitations on repping the same person. Keeping both as a hard rule is a no-no IMHO.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Blog Entries

- The person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot) and then posts their own picture within 24 hours.
    does it look better like that?

edit: this should be the definite version of the rules

- One person posts a picture/question/riddle with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture/question posted or solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture/question/riddle (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot) and then posts their own picture within 24 hours.
    - Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question/riddle isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question/riddle says that anybody can take his turn.
    - People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff
    the idea is to post the same set everyone, that's why they are mentioning "picture/question/riddle"
    Last edited by Flinn; May 07, 2020 at 05:34 AM.

Patrician Artifex

I still think rep should be no rule in any shape or form. It should be enough that we've got the rep bonus for the awards. Unless you want to follow me around and 'fill in the gaps' of course. I'll rep if I can, but if I can't I won't and I'm not going to keep asking other people to do it for me. It's an inconvenience and it's silly. People are always free to not guess at my riddles if they're in it for the rep, I say.

Blog Entries

ah fair point, so let's make it like this then

- One person posts a picture/question/riddle with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture/question posted or solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly then posts their own picture/question/riddle within 24 hours.
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, that the person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture/question/riddle (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot).

- Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question/riddle isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question/riddle says that anybody can take his turn.
    I think we can make everybody happy with this, can't we?
    Last edited by Flinn; May 07, 2020 at 07:58 AM.

Blog Entries

That works
    and Peaman

Patrician Artifex

Alright then, that should work. Tnx Flinn.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

That seems fine

Blog Entries

ok thanks all of you for the input

I've now updated all the OPs of the threads I listed above (included in the TGC), but if you feel like that there are other games as well that would need to have those rules included, just say so and I'll take care of that.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: The Total Guess Competition - Rules, Leaderboard & Commentary

So, when can we expect the results?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I finished my part that same day, just waiting for athel to do his .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    So, when can we expect the results?
    and Peaman

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

We'll be holding you to that.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    We'll be holding you to that.
    Knowing KA it's probably more like:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Knowing KA it's probably more like:

Now what's that supposed to mean?
    and Peaman

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast