Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Commentary & Chat Thread

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default General Commentary & Chat Thread

Use this thread to make comments, proposals, post ideas and what's not about the various games housed at the Coliseum (minus the Total Guess Competition, that has it's own thread).

Remember to avoid commenting on the game threads themselves, since this will break the flow of the game and this should be avoided.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Default Re: General Commentary Thread

In case you wish to keep discussing what you were discussing in the Catchphrase game, please see below

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod
    First of all yes it was a catchphrase:
    Quote Originally Posted by Google Dictionary
    a well-known sentence or phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    1 : a word or expression that is used repeatedly and conveniently to represent or characterize a person, group, idea, or point of view. 2 : a brief attention-getting phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge Dictionary
    a phrase that is often repeated by and therefore becomes connected with a particular organization or person, especially someone famous such as a television entertainer
    Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    noun
    a phrase that attracts or is meant to attract attention.
    a phrase, as a slogan, that comes to be widely and repeatedly used, often with little of the original meaning remaining.
    Secondly if you want to throw stones in glasshouses I'm all for it. Most standard expressions/idioms posted here don't really qualify as a catchphrase, and 90%+ of all the guesses aren't.

Thirdly Akar you can lose your over the mouse press button symbol being turned by 90°, but you didn't even give it a single honest try. That huge ass F was impossible to miss. That you didn't even notice the green repbuttons on the meme is not my problem but speaks volumes to the time you wasted. All the hours wasted on coming up with "bad ass" and "Give me that ass!", eh?

The riddle I posted was Fin easy. Except that this thread is obviously misnamed and should be renamed to "Guess the phrase that isn't a catchphrase at all otherwise we'll lose our "
    &

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiedgod
    Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    All for civility, but this game can be hard enough with quite commonplace catchphrases and idioms. Just don't use memes or quotes from movies, TV etc unless they have been widely adopted outside of that context. If your grandma hasn't heard of it, don't use it!
    First of all it's a catchphrase, used outside of gaming and in all sorts of context. I've heard it in real life way more often than "hook line and sinker", which again doesn't really qualify as a catchphrase. I never played the game and am not a meme expert.

As for your or anyone's grandma, she had expressions that none of us have ever heard of. Language being a living thing and all.

So please all of you give me a comprehensive list of idioms you know.

We should also do this in the other competitions. Only battles/figures/events/places/movies everyone knows. And don't make it a lesser known image, that could be misleading!
    No need to remind you that you have to behave well, eh? I've already spent enough time to clean this mess, so keep this civil gents and remember to abide the ToS (like avoiding going personal, which is off topic).
    Last edited by Flinn; May 06, 2020 at 04:57 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Why do you move my stuff but not the that it replied to?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Why do you move my stuff but not the that it replied to?
    For the sake of clarity, I moved what I deemed enough for the discussion to move on; everybody involved in that discussion knows what happened, and why it happened, so if they (and you) want to keep on with that discussion, that info is more than enough. Quoted post from Muizer and your reply summarize everything well.

If you don't agree and want to make a case out of it, please move to the Moderation Commentary Thread, any further comment about Moderation on this thread will be considered off topic and dealt with accordingly.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: The Total Guess Competition - Rules, Leaderboard & Commentary

The Guess Where game thread is locked for some days now.
    Is the game cancelled?

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I'm going to assume Aexodus accidentally checked the "close thread after reply" button. Which for mods is right below the "show your signature" box. I've messaged him on Discord about the whole thing.
    Last edited by Akar; April 25, 2020 at 05:09 PM.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Thread was locked in error. Should be fine now.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I think I can speak for everyone when I demand that we see heavy handed repercussions for whomever made this serious error.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I think I can speak for everyone when I demand that we see heavy handed repercussions for whomever made this serious error.
    It was me

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So we can expect absolutely no repercussions and for this to be swept under the rug, then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    So we can expect absolutely no repercussions and for this to be swept under the rug, then?
    It seem that you begin to understand how it works

Besides, that rug really ties the place together, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Flinn; April 27, 2020 at 03:56 AM.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It really does

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

It really is a nice rug - shame about it the floor under the middle there seemingly increasing in elevation as time goes by
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Could the guess the (video) game threads maybe be moved to the Non-Total War (Video) Games section? Just a thought. Might make that area a bit less barren.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I would recommend something inverse, to move all the games in the same section.
    It's not as if the games were invented only as an excuse to make more posts.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I had originally thought of posting them there, but I asked Flinn what his thoughts were and he suggested I post them in the Coliseum.

Blog Entries

I've moved a bunch of posts from the TGC commentary here in the General Commentary; unless it's strictly connected with the TGC, please use this thread instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Could the guess the (video) game threads maybe be moved to the Non-Total War (Video) Games section? Just a thought. Might make that area a bit less barren.
    I see from where you are coming from, but I think it more proper to have them posted here, since we now have a competition related to them and it makes sense to have all of them in the same place. As for the older games like the "Guess Where", I thought it better to leave them where they are since people already know where to find them, but it would be logic to move them here as well, though I'm not planning to do that soon, if ever.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: General Commentary & Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    why don't you post about in the general commentary thread (not the TGC specific) and ask for other regular gamers what's their opinion on blatant cheating, if it's so indeed?

you can mention that you spoke with me about that and that I suggested you to proceed that way

F
    How do you guys feel about banning "cheating" in the competitions? Per this post it would seem that the rules are not clearly defined and some users think that cheating is allowed or encouraged somehow. I don't think this is the case or has ever been the case. It's a fact that cheating will happen and people will reverse image search Nothing can really completely prevent that from happening, but myself and a lot of others usually go through steps to prevent you from being able to reverse search the images. This isn't because cheating and reverse searching are part of the game, but rather out of an understanding that cheating is inevitable and a desire to create a fair and competitive atmosphere.

I think that if you're caught cheating or for whatever reason outright admit to cheating on the competition then your win should be disqualified, no point should be awarded, and a user other than the cheater will post the next image.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

While in practice it's impossible to fully remove cheating, I think it'd be good to have the rule. If the law can't be enacted by the letter, one should still have it for the spirit.
    Last edited by King Athelstan; May 05, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

That's the sort of things that should be dealt with directly when it happens.. I mean, everybody wants a fair game, and if one player keeps ruining the game by showing lack of respect for the other players and for the efforts they put in it, then you just put that player out of the game.. that's common sense, one does not really need a rule for that, IMO.

From my point of view it would be enough, if we really want a rule, to add a line like this:

"People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff".

I can add this to each OP and make this a standard for a "fair rule" at TWC games, if you like the idea; there's no need to put it in the TGC, since if a victory/turn is invalidated in any of the games, it should not generate a point for the TGC in any case; any controversial case should be discussed in this very thread, rather than in the game thread itself.

If any of you has an alternative proposal or wants to suggest a change to the wording I proposed, please just say so

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast