Thread: Spartans are a joke compared to Greeks.

Default Spartans are a joke compared to Greeks.

Well, the title says it all.

I have played 6 campaigns as Sparta, and Greeks at turn 2 or 3 already have silver experience units, like... I used cheats 10 min ago to look if Sparta could at least have a building that gives you this, but guess not. You are stuck with bronze tier units for ever. Naupaktos hoplites can beat my Promachoi just because of the silver experience. Spartas should have the option to have experience buildings, at least in a high tier building. I played as Greeks to check my fact, and there it its, I can get silver experience units at turn one. Hell yeah, I took Sparta in less than 8 min.

I love Roma Surrectum, I played as Pergamon, Rome, Carthage and others in the past, but with Sparta its just... a headache to play Sparta, you need to micromanage your units every 5 sec to try to kill 20 men.

Thank you, and if there is something I can do, like do modification to Roma Surrectum to make the Spartan faction actually playable, let me know.

Thank you!

Default Re: Spartans are a joke compared to Greeks.

Domesticus

???

What am I missing here? No building provides your units with experience bonuses. Be it the highest barrack tier or a temple.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

@Grimbold, I've never achieved Gold upgrades to weapons and armor either have you?
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Yes they do. Greeks have barracks that get some chevrons to your units. And blacksmith for attack and defense bonuses.

I have the same problem. It kills the mood when you have 3000 units against 400 and you get a close victory. Killing you 300 units while they kill 2000 units. Abnoxious as .

When I play with BI.exe this happens. But when playing ALX.exe it doesnt happen this. I think I have to say goodbye to phalanx formation with Sparta so I can play this game without having to fight every battle.

Senator

@Grimbold & Saul Tyre: Golden Armour Uprgades are possible with the highest Version of the Temple of Hephaiston… of Vulcanus, if someone has such a low selfesteem to Play the Romans :-)
    Golden Weapons are also possible, Temple of Athena gives +1 to light Weapons.

@LacedemonYouTube: The Game punishes you for every battle you don`t Play yourself, trust me. The Battles are meant to be difficult, wait till you meet the Armenians or Parthians….

I was recently checking this out. Sparta is actually a lot easier on any difficulty, it depends how experienced you are in other RTS.

Noticed one thing almost immediately: the Metoikoi hoplites (which are basically mercs, not spartans) aside from being stylish, have about 2x less upkeep costs, 2x less recruitment costs, the stat difference is about 15 to 14 and 50 to 47. This means Spartan hoplites aside from coming later, being a little bit better, are terrible for spamming.. unless you just grab the upkeep. You can spam out Metoikoi and a few other support units,phalanx, and easily win.

Your first steps are to take the city that has the monument Olympia (it gives some kind of boost) and begin managing for trade. Odds are Greeks will take Argos from the rebels. Your next things are set up trade with Greeks, then send each 2 diplomats off to Rome and to Ptolomaics (Egypt), establish map, trade, and alliances (they won't even be near you so these alliances should be fine and historically accurate too). You can then make deals with others for map info and trade. Eventually you should have 1 major army and a lot of stored money to stand up to Greeks. What I did next was take their island (crete) when they refuse to give it to me, then when the big stacks of greeks came, I had an army of a few Spartan family/bodyguards and a few spammed Metoikoi hoplites to block the way. They traded about 4000 vs 2000 and still managed to come out intact twice just by slugging it out with Spartan commanders. Once this is over, get your main army off Crete and make another army, you should be solid and be ableto push into Argos, take the peninsula, and if you did it right, taking Athens will be easy and enable you to just steal the foundry they have anyway to retrain troops (it just gives them like +1 atk/+1 def, not really a game winner).

Greeks on the other hand, you have to probably lose a lot of land or else you can't just put large armies all over the place in your spread out settlements. Greeks seem harder in every way because you'll probably end up consolidating only one area and just hope the other areas don't get attacked, or waste lot of money randomly making defense armies because colonies are all spread out, alone, and can be attacked by various factions. If you can get trade and stop them from attacking, it's just as easy, but Sparta seems a lot more straight forward, and once you take the Greek peninsula it's not even worth playing (game over, you just win).

One thing I noticed if you were to treat this as 'actually difficult' (it's not) is you don't need promachoi, you don't need spartan hoplites, and it wouldn't matter that all greek troops might have +1 or +2 better armor. Even though they look tough, these units actual stats are not so much higher and upkeep is so bad that you will suffer if you try to just spam these units. It's good to use the first units you have, then when you can retrain/train more then you can try to add one. The more important part is these are elite units but they are meant to be one small part or have boosts. Try to use your lesser units that are actually way tougher than needed (such as the slaves/mercs) and you'll just trade or win every battle anyway. It's also historically accurate, mercs/slaves made up most of sparta's army, so you will fail if you try to only suffer with 1 unit type. Once you pass the first part it's over (easy mode).

The Meteoikoi hoplites (mercs) have only about -1 atk and -3 defense from spartan hoplites, but less than half the upkeep, cost less than half to recruit. Just spam these. These hoplites beat most/any units in combat and otherwise you will surround them. This game is for little kids, too easy. Anything you do with Sparta too is easy because the only hurdle is the beginning, after that you should win all battles, and same with any other faction.

I said it first.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    if someone has such a low selfesteem to Play the Romans :-)
    triggered!!!!don't talk bad about the romans, they will come and put you on a cross
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Pleistoanacte View Post
    Well, the title says it all.

I have played 6 campaigns as Sparta, and Greeks at turn 2 or 3 already have silver experience units, like... I used cheats 10 min ago to look if Sparta could at least have a building that gives you this, but guess not. You are stuck with bronze tier units for ever. Naupaktos hoplites can beat my Promachoi just because of the silver experience. Spartas should have the option to have experience buildings, at least in a high tier building. I played as Greeks to check my fact, and there it its, I can get silver experience units at turn one. Hell yeah, I took Sparta in less than 8 min.

I love Roma Surrectum, I played as Pergamon, Rome, Carthage and others in the past, but with Sparta its just... a headache to play Sparta, you need to micromanage your units every 5 sec to try to kill 20 men.

Thank you, and if there is something I can do, like do modification to Roma Surrectum to make the Spartan faction actually playable, let me know.

Thank you!
    This is an old thread but the version is the same 3.1 so it is relevant.

I think the developers meant for Sparta to be played with Barbarian Invasion .exe, which means the Spartan Hoplites and Spartan Promachoi can use shieldwall and wreck any formation. They can hold everything with the ability, even able to push phalanx pikes.

Without BI you cannot use it so the AI and the Spartan became costly compared to another his own unit.

Spartan is one of most OP faction:
    1. Metoikoi hoplite i think is the best unit in its class of non elite hoplites and it's price range. How so? With non-elite price of 300 upkeep it has 16 Armor, potentially 19 with gold upgrades, and stats as good as elite hoplite.
    They are considered heavy troops, meaning the heavy cavalry cannot sent them fly easily.
    2. Shieldwall ability of two units i mentioned before
    3. It has many types of units available, it has levy, medium and heavy phalanx, op hoplites, cretan archer and rhodian slinger, heavy cavalry, theurophoroi, machaporoi (sword theuros), infantry general, artillery, AOR of good ships (Decere)
    4. It only need a dozens or so turns to unlock both next level barracks to unlock spartan hoplites and 9% building growth bonus to be able endlessly recruit without worrying to deplete pops

They are so good if you consider only metoikoi and 2 Heavy cavalry you can build 4 stacks rather than 2 in early games and still able to steamroll ANY faction using unlimited men in battlefield.

They are so good i have to limit myself to self restriction so it does not became gamey.