Thread: Rise of the Eagles 1.0 is live

Default Rise of the Eagles 1.0 is live

After 5 years in development by yours truly I'm finally able to announce that the release is here. Download the Beta 1.0 on ModDB!

Huge thanks to Paleologos for having rigged correctly the very first model that would later be used to make every other soldier. To HolyCrusader for helping me understand how making cities and modifying 3d objects work, and Gigantus for the support whenever needed. The wait is finally over, especially for me, in these not too bright times we live in right now. Feedback is appreciated and needed.
    As always, enjoy.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Domesticus

Default Re: Rise of the Eagles 1.0 is live

Congratulations on your mod!

I always liked the Napoleonic period!

I am downloading your mod, I can't wait to try it.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Outstanding achievement +rep
    for future version you might get some more help with the map, from what I can see the geography e.g. in Germany is a bit wonky
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Congratulations with your mod! I've played it for a bit and I have a few remarks and suggestions as well as questions.

1) I've looked at the map and like Morrowgan already mentioned, the geography is a bit wonky. But it's not just Germany, but all of Europe, some areas more than others. What I was wondering was: why didn't you ask for example the Stainless Steel mod team for permission to use their map? Their map is also a bit bigger and more detailed with geographical features already added. That way it's much easier to get the loactions of settlements and shapes of provinces more accurate.

2) Campaign map textures look a bit patchy. Not sure why during winter Europe looks brown?

3) This one is perhaps a matter of personal taste, but some of the faction colors made me raise an eyebrow. For example, why is France for example blue/vivid blue, not blue/white? Why is Prussia totally deep blue and not white/black? Saxony white/black and not white/green? Württemberg purple and not black/red? Austria white/yellow and not yellow/black? Etc. Also, some of the colors look very neon-ish and burn into my eyes.

Then some factions have a secondary color that defines their province borders on the minimap, while others have just one color for both the primary and secondary color. Is there a logic behind this?

Let's just say that I would've picked different and softer colors.

4) Some of the flags are wrong, such as Spain.

5) Nice music and ambience.

6) Nice smoke effects.

7) Perhaps delete your control preferences in your mod, as it overwrites the controls of others?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Congratulations with your mod! I've played it for a bit and I have a few remarks and suggestions as well as questions.

1) I've looked at the map and like Morrowgan already mentioned, the geography is a bit wonky. But it's not just Germany, but all of Europe, some areas more than others. What I was wondering was: why didn't you ask for example the Stainless Steel mod team for permission to use their map? Their map is also a bit bigger and more detailed with geographical features already added. That way it's much easier to get the loactions of settlements and shapes of provinces more accurate.

I wanted to make all by myself, without relying on others, as much as possible. I didnt have many positive experiences in the modding community so far, only here at TWC to be honest, some of you actually helped, rather than just offer and then disappear forever, or worse, ask for payment (yes I even got that experience). So lets say that I was a little burnt. Not only that, but working at my own pace instead of having to wait for others to do the work for X amount of time.

If everyone is upset \ not comfortable with how the campaign map is at the moment I will consider it. I could simply make small changes here and there in the meantime.

2) Campaign map textures look a bit patchy. Not sure why during winter Europe looks brown?

That's because of the agriculture \ farming fields. The texture represents an aerial view of the fields. Oh and the brown texture... I wanted it to represent autumn+winter, not just regular winter. So that's the main colour of autumn, reddish-brown, dead leaves and snow. Theres no autumn in this game so that was the only solution.

3) This one is perhaps a matter of personal taste, but some of the faction colors made me raise an eyebrow. For example, why is France for example blue/vivid blue, not blue/white? Why is Prussia totally deep blue and not white/black? Saxony white/black and not white/green? Württemberg purple and not black/red? Austria white/yellow and not yellow/black? Etc. Also, some of the colors look very neon-ish and burn into my eyes.

Then some factions have a secondary color that defines their province borders on the minimap, while others have just one color for both the primary and secondary color. Is there a logic behind this?

Let's just say that I would've picked different and softer colors.

I didnt look too deeply into that. But first and secondary colour for the borders are taken from the flags.

4) Some of the flags are wrong, such as Spain.

Please present me the alternative because I only got that flag. Cant find another one.

5) Nice music and ambience.

6) Nice smoke effects.

7) Perhaps delete your control preferences in your mod, as it overwrites the controls of others?

I do not know how to do that. I never played MTW2 that much at all.
    Last edited by Sirlion; March 19, 2020 at 08:39 PM.
    My Mods and Projects

- Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures

Just a note: if you write your answer inside a quote, another person can't quote your answer, without manually copy-paste your lines within tags, because anything within the quote doesn't get quoted in the new quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    I wanted to make all by myself, without relying on others, as much as possible. I didnt have many positive experiences in the modding community so far, only here at TWC to be honest, some of you actually helped, rather than just offer and then disappear forever, or worse, ask for payment (yes I even got that experience). So lets say that I was a little burnt. Not only that, but working at my own pace instead of having to wait for others to do the work for X amount of time.

If everyone is upset \ not comfortable with how the campaign map is at the moment I will consider it. I could simply make small changes here and there in the meantime.
    Somebody asked you for payment? Wow... Well, I see where you're coming from. It's just a suggestion that would improve the map and using such a map also makes it easier for you to draw the provinces correctly into it. Anyway this is only relevant if you ever decide to rework the campaign map.

That's because of the agriculture \ farming fields. The texture represents an aerial view of the fields. Oh and the brown texture... I wanted it to represent autumn+winter, not just regular winter. So that's the main colour of autumn, reddish-brown, dead leaves and snow. Theres no autumn in this game so that was the only solution.
    Fair enough.

I didnt look too deeply into that. But first and secondary colour for the borders are taken from the flags.
    Ehm, okay fair enough, but how then did you end up with purple for Württemberg (black-red flag) and deep blue for Prussia (white-black flag)? Not too big of a deal though.

Please present me the alternative because I only got that flag. Cant find another one.
    I suppose it would be something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B..._1760-1785.svg

But with this coat of arms:

https://www.pngfuel.com/free-png/orksf
    https://www.pngfuel.com/free-png/rcgnf

I'd refrain from using the cross of Burgundy on the national flag.

I do not know how to do that. I never played MTW2 that much at all.
    Simply delete the preferences folder in your mod folder.

Also, there are things such as:

- Bavaria automatically wins the campaign if you start the campaign. To fix this you'd need to alter the victory conditions.
    - Saxons should be Saxony
    - Wurttemberg should be Württemberg with an "ü".

Anyway, you've got your mod released. That's the most important step and you can work from there.
    Last edited by Razor; March 21, 2020 at 06:01 PM.

I'm getting an error when I try and start up the game and it throws me out. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm getting an error when I try and start up the game and it throws me out. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
    I actually had the same issue. What I did was:

1) open mods/RotE/RotE.bat in notepad
    2) replace all text with this:

Code:
    @echo off
    cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\RotE\Configuration.cfg
    and simply save the file.

3) start the mod by executing the RotE .bat file.

Thanks.

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I made a video on this mod, what does anyone think of it?

Great Cinematic, I did my own video here but it was a playthrough instead
    https://youtu.be/u02_xDZ4Y7I

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the release.

congratulations for your MOD! I love MTW2, I'm still playing it after so many years from the release (14? I'm getting old...).
    What are the main differences with your realism core for LME4? I suppose it's focused on realism like that submod. What about BAI and CAI?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyce View Post
    congratulations for your MOD! I love MTW2, I'm still playing it after so many years from the release (14? I'm getting old...).
    What are the main differences with your realism core for LME4? I suppose it's focused on realism like that submod. What about BAI and CAI?
    Differences are massive as the engine is completely different but I tried to stay true to my love for realistic battles. BAI and CAI are almost entirely new with new personalities created ad hoc to work for the Napeolonic period. Huge thanks goes to z3n for his tutorials on the matter. BAI sadly is not very smart and there are notorious pathfinding problems in MTW2, but all in all it does a pretty decent job with line battles.
    My Mods and Projects

Great idea! I'm giving this a try right now!

Icon1 Re: Rise of the Eagles 1.0 is live

I haven't even seen everything this has to offer but I couldn't hold myself and have to reply now.
    It is hard to believe something like this could be created mostly solo. I'm utterly speechless, you sir, couldn't have made this any better than it is. The effort and dedication gone into this can be seen and felt from its every part. I won't go overboard and say this is flawless or anything, but it truly is a hidden gem. It's unbelievable how this mod didn't get more interest.
    Firstly, the era adapted here is pretty hard to do even from the start, I would think this impossible if it wasn't running on my pc. It must have been hell to work on this alone but still this is so well done. The campaign map, number of factions, how every faction got lots of generals and units etc., like even Persia has around 7 units. Simply wonderful.... Despite the wonky M2 rifle animations, the line warfare, overall, works good enough. Units generally do what they're suppposed to do such as switching to bayonets( the two hander animations tho :d) and getting in formation. I state this point because I see this as the hardest part to pull off with M2 engine, without editing animations and stuff. Really impressive. I loved how you turned the religion mechanic into the political current mechanic, creative. I also liked how the settlements have no garrisons at all, it is safe to say you really have done the best you can using M2 as your ground. I actually clicked Napoleon Total War folder instead of RotE, that's how close to the real thing this mod is.

I'm going to skip the obvious visual errors like the banners and missing text. I didn't hear any music in battle map except the drums before deployment phase. The campaing map, as stated by others before, isn't accurate but this is something I don't care about at all. It's not like vanilla M2 had accurate geography. If the texts were complete and ui visuals were polished, I think this could run to be one of the best mods for this game.

One more thing, I have tinkered a lot with M2 mods in my free time but can't say I know what I'm doing most of the time. Can't say I created any satisfactionary results at this kind of stuff but if you are still working on this and want any kind of help, I'll be glad to do. At least I can try to prepare some text or visuals.

Thanks for the comment. I will change the animations at some point in time, the problem is that the only tool to do so - animerge from GOAT1.1 - doesnt work for me. I would've done it a long time ago if it did, however it reports an unknown python error. So I need to solve that first, or wait for the IWTE guys to get anim import \ export into their own tool. I'll change some of those anyway.
    As for campaign map not being accurate, I dont like things being less accurate than they could, so you can certainly point out the major flaws in the campaign map and I'll work on it.
    You can also help me with text since I have virtually zero time to do that with the other million things to worry about.
    Drop me a line in a PM with your discord id and we'll work something out.
    My Mods and Projects