Thread: Faction for a beginner..?

Default Faction for a beginner..?

Hello! I finally decided to try out Europa Barbarorum 2 and it's just jawdropping, I wish I've tried it out earlier. The gameplay seems hard (but approaching stuff slowly and thinking about my moves should be enough to win..?)
    The thing is that most of my experience with the mod so far was with the custom battles, checking out units and such - now I want to dive deep into the campaign and I've got a dilemma - which faction should I pick first? I've got around 200h in base Medieval 2, so I'm experienced-ish, I guess. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Faction for a beginner..?

Maybe you could try a faction that is strong but doesn't have too many finicky mechanics? Koinon Hellenon is very strong once you get past the first few turns (goes for a lot of factions to be fair). They have cool (cough* overpowered and unhistorical *splutter) reforms and units. And who doesn't love the Greeks? I do anyway.

Rome and Carthage are easier still but they both have mechanics that involve shuffling around characters that not everyone enjoys, maybe you will. I'd go for a more straightforward faction first run through the mod. I've never actually played Rome so this is just from what I hear.

So, I'd go Greece if you want a western faction, Hayastan if you want an eastern one because they are rich and if you just keep paying off the Secucids until you are ready to fight them you should be good, or Pritanoi if you want to try a 'barbarian' faction because they are isolated and not much pressure.

Overall it's a fantastic mod but you'll soon be imposing house rules on yourself, I wouldn't get worried about difficulty.
    Furthermore I believe capitalism must be destroyed.

Rome, Carthage, Hayastan, and Pergamon are the friendliest beginner factions, in my opinion.

Given your experience with Medieval 2, I’d also suggest Makedon, Koinon Hellenon, Ptolemaioi, Taksashila, and the Arevaci.

Absolutely do not play: Saka Rauka, Baktria, Pahlava, Nabatu, Kimmerios Bosporus, or Numidia. Those factions either have very difficult starting positions, unique governments, unique play styles, or all of the above.

Other factions fall between recommended factions and those not recommended.

Personally, I’d encourage you to try one of Makedon or the Koinon Hellenon, because both factions start in a difficult war that, if you win, leave you in a great position to develop a powerful military supported by a robust economy.

Quote Originally Posted by romulus_aeneas View Post
    Rome, Carthage, Hayastan, and Pergamon are the friendliest beginner factions, in my opinion.

Given your experience with Medieval 2, I’d also suggest Makedon, Koinon Hellenon, Ptolemaioi, Taksashila, and the Arevaci.

Absolutely do not play: Saka Rauka, Baktria, Pahlava, Nabatu, Kimmerios Bosporus, or Numidia. Those factions either have very difficult starting positions, unique governments, unique play styles, or all of the above.

Other factions fall between recommended factions and those not recommended.

Personally, I’d encourage you to try one of Makedon or the Koinon Hellenon, because both factions start in a difficult war that, if you win, leave you in a great position to develop a powerful military supported by a robust economy.
    Pahlava is a strange one. They are one of the most powerful faction in the game. All you need is conquer poorly garrisoned Parthia province and build mine and suddenly you're a powerful regional player.

Also helps that Seleucid is absent minded so they rarely send large troops to you and most of their settlement are poorly defended garrison. Most of other faction force you to fight full stack Rebel in town which arguably is more difficult.

I do advise allied Baktria after they betray Seleucid because they are quite tough and have more concentration than Seleucid. Try to avoid fighting Baktria before you're ready

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'll probably check out Makedonia or Koinon Hellenon.

I'll add a little tip about playing in the Aegean. This may be old news but I'll type it out anyway: Don't neglect your navy!

Keeping a navy that can rule the Aegean allows a Hellas-based faction, like both KH and Mak. to move troops, agents and characters around between settlements, armies and such much faster than when going by land. It allows you to more easily move reduced units back to be retrained before you ship them back to the field armies again, thus keeping veteran units alive and allowing them get even better.

In my KH game it has very much helped me to build up veteran and elite armies since I can reasonably quickly move troops, like Spartiate hoplites or Thessalian cavalry, back and forth between my armies in Anatolia and retraining them in Greece proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloacky View Post
    Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'll probably check out Makedonia or Koinon Hellenon.
    One word of caution with KH, which may or may not matter to you: their FM bodyguards are infantry.