Thread: The Second Writers' Study Occasional Competition - the Winner!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default The Second Writers' Study Occasional Competition - the Winner!

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

Thanks to Swaeft for permission to use this image, which was the winning entry in Game Picture of the Week 126.

The Second Writers' Study Occasional Competition:
    Seedship

After a tie-break with Kilo11 and Swaeft, Swaeft's tale won this challenge, to write an AAR in just one short post using the free online game Seedship.

Congratulations, Swaeft, and thanks to all who entered!

This win earns Swaeft a Writers' Study competition point, bringing his total to 18 - a step closer to a gold Writers' Study Competition Medal.

Here's Swaeft's winning tale:

The Second Writers' Study Occasional Competition - Winner Jaesten stared out of the glass window, his helmet in hand.

He’d heard exciting things about Planet Earth – how its captivating diversity had managed to capture the hearts and minds of people worldwide. How the rivers and creeks used to run with sky blue water so clear, you could count the number of stones at the bottom. How the animals used to gallop and frolic in the never-ending seas of grass, flush with verdant flora and fascinating fauna. He remembered tales – told when he was little more than a child – of how hills and mountains of varying heights dotted the landscape and provided an incredible backdrop to the scenery, which pleased many an aspiring photographer.

Jaesten wondered what it felt like to breathe air so fresh it invigorated your lungs, to see the far reaches of the horizons filled with a myriad of brilliant colors as the Sun set or rose. To actually physically experience the pure beauty of nature, first hand, as it was described to him by his grandparents.

But those days were long gone.

The Earth was a tenebrous husk of its former self, its waters murky and polluted, the indigenous waterborne lifeforms utterly wiped out by mankind’s unrelenting pursuit of a better life. The same could be said for most of the land’s animal species – killed off for their meat or simply for sport. Trees, once a dime a dozen in the wilds, were now a rare sight. Indeed, the wilds themselves had almost ceased to exist, a few sparse groups of trees struggling to survive in the tiny corners of the globe that Man had yet to convert to civilization.

Ironically, the rest of the planet that Man had converted was anything but civilization. Obscenely tall, towering structures completely dominated the landscape, blocking the dying Sun’s rays from reaching anything below Level 250. Most of the planet’s surface lay in perpetual twilight, lost in an endless cycle of flashing neon signs and dark alleyways. People lived in box sized ‘apartments’, often keeping to their own and living day by day. Those fortunate enough to feel the warm kiss of sunlight never got to fully experience the vast openness of the sky, for the bleak, oversized clouds obscured most of it, assisted by the ceaseless smoke generated from the city’s many generators.

Even this was the first time Jaesten had seen this much of his Omni-City, from Hanger Level 301.

The earpiece in his right ear started beeping. He touched a finger to it and a voice crackled through. “Trailblazer One. The Seedship is ready for departure.”

The Seedship. Twenty thousand souls selected to venture into deep space. And they were all under my charge.

He reached into his suit pocket, and carefully extracted a photo his great-grandfather had given him. Earth in all its primal glory. Before the Great Pollution.

And now it is time to find our own Terra Nova, somewhere in the stars. He raised his finger again.

“Execute.”

Thank you to everyone who entered and everyone who voted in our Second Occasional Competition.

Keep your eyes open for the Third Occasional Competition - it could appear at any time!

Last edited by Alwyn; March 16, 2020 at 03:49 AM.

Default Re: The Second Writers' Study Occasional Competition - the Winner!

Congrats Swaeft! Kilo, yours was excellent too so, congrats to you as well!
    Last edited by JB2C; March 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Congratulations Swaeft! All submissions for this competition were strong and very enjoyable in their own, unique way.

Thanks to all who submitted and voted!

Thanks to Alwyn for running the Writers' Study's Second Occasional Competition! Onto the next one!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Swaeft, well done!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Well done, Swaeft. You win this round!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Woah, thanks guys! I really wasn't expecting this...great job too Kilo!

Thanks to everyone who made this possible

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Woah, thanks guys! I really wasn't expecting this.
    And thus is it said: The meek shall inherit the earth.

Too bad the non-meek are ruining it, so your inheritance will be in some need of repair.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    And thus is it said: The meek shall inherit the earth.

Too bad the non-meek are ruining it, so your inheritance will be in some need of repair.
    That was a good one!

This competition certainly was enjoyable (worth the wait I'd say), kudos to the brains behind the idea!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)