Thread: Problem with adding a town to map (3dsMax with steps and pics)

Default Problem with adding a town to map (3dsMax with steps and pics)

Hi all, I have recently tried dabbling with modding again but have run into a problem. I am attempting to add a resource to Osumi but the startpos never seems to get created. I think it is some issue with having to create Osumi within the startpos_towns_and_ports + campaign_maps_towns_and_ports locations as I have been successful with provinces which already have an entry. For provinces that already have an entry, maybe this can supplement the excellent tutorials I used by uanime5 which can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?600118 and https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...split-a-region

I am using mod tools with the 2.1 patch and 3DS Max 2010

Here are the steps I have taken.

3DS MAX 2010
    Open CS2 file in C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Modding\raw_data\EmpireDesignData\campaign_maps\sho_japan

Cloned the Town in Satsuma

Positioned cloned town in Osumi (Image 1)

Change Object Properties to town:jap_osumi:region_specialty (Image 2)

Hid layers except Settlements.cs2 [ports] , Settlements.cs2 [settlements] , Settlements.cs2 [towns] , Settlements.cs2 [trade nodes]

Export selected as CS2 and replaced settlements.CS2 in C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Modding\raw_data\EmpireDesignData\campaign_maps\sho_japan folder

TWeak
    Open TWeak

Go to campaign_map_towns_and_ports

Notice Osumi is missing (Image 3)

Create Osumi with speciality stone and click apply (Image 4)

Go to start_pos_towns_and_ports

Notice Osumi is missing (Image 5)

Create Osumi with stonemason and click apply (Image 6)

BOB Pt 1
    Open BOB

select EmpireDesignData/campaign_maps/sho_japan in raw data and click "all" (image 7)

Pressed start

Bob finishes processing successfully

PFM
    Put pathfinding and regions .efs' in a pack (Image 8)

Save C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2\data

BOB Pt 2
    Run BOB again

Select EmpireDesignData/campaigns/jap_shogun in raw data and click "all" (image 9)

Press Start

When Shogun 2 (Steam is running) starts I select the pack I added to data

Failure! Fails to save startpos.esf (Image 10)

Failure thoughts
    As I mentioned above, this has been successful with provinces which are already named in TWeak but something about adding new records seems to be causing the issue. I am not even sure why they are missing in the first place (And a handful of other provinces as well) as many other places without specialities have them and listed as a farm instead.

HELP!
    Please can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I have not modded in some years and gone to all of the effort of finding a 3DS Max 2010 copy to fail now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_1__adding_town.jpg   Image_2__object_properties.jpg   Image_3_osumi_missing.jpg   Image_4_added_osumi.jpg   Image_5_osumi_missing_from_startpos.jpg  

Image_6_added_osumi.jpg   Image_7_campaign_map_bob.jpg   Image_8_first_pack.jpg   Image_9_bob_again.jpg   Image_10_failure.jpg  

Default Re: Problem with adding a town to map (3dsMax with steps and pics)

You forgot to add table campaign_map_towns_and_ports to .pack together with map .esf files before generate startpos
    Last edited by Sara Temer; March 12, 2020 at 05:41 PM.
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

YES! Thank you very much!

np ^^ good luck with your mod
    Also mad creator of

Thank you for your help, I had a chance to try out what you said and the startpos successfully gets created; it makes sense now that I think about it. However, another problem has come up which doesn't seem to make sense to me. Now, the towns I've created appear (in Osumi and Hyoga) but all of the default towns vanish.

As you can see from my pack before I generate the startpos all of the default towns are still there as usual along with the ones I've added (Image 1).

The startpos gets created fine and I then add it to the pack (Image 2).

But then when I run it the default towns are missing (Image 3).

Do you know why this could be happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg   Image2.jpg   Image3.jpg  

Did you not missed vanilla towns when you saved all as settlement.cs2?
    Also mad creator of

That seems like a good assumption and based on my (so far limited) understanding everything should logically work. I will double-check when I can access that computer a bit later but IIRC I selected all non-hidden items for export, which were approx 250 in total, although now I'm getting a little paranoid. It is frustrating as I have ambitions to progress to higher stuff like creating new provinces and adding land masses but can't move on until I have these simple things figured out. Anyway, I will let you know in a few hours. Thank you.

I was able to quickly open up the settlements.CS2 file (I didn't save the 3DS one) and attached is all I exported. You must be right about this being the problem, which seemed like only explanation I could think of as well, and lo and behold after looking at the object list I notice a discrepancy It seems when I cloned the Satsuma and Higo towns they got renamed, or probably more likely I inadvertently moved the originals instead, and so they have a 01 at the end of their names, yet I was too focused on the new towns to notice the "previous" ones. My guess is that all other towns on the map in that test mod are in fact there but I was just concluding they weren't because I only checked Satsuma and Higo before assuming all vanilla towns were gone. I will do it all again tonight (I'm getting very quick at this by now haha) and post a success afterwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3DSImage.jpg  

Success! Thank you for your help! I hope this can help others, now to move onto splitting provinces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails success.jpg  

Good to hear that it works now. If you will want make new map in future, you can use my files with empty map, here
    Also mad creator of