Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrible trailers (of presumably horrible movies). WARNING: For some reason this gems usually contain strong language.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Horrible trailers (of presumably horrible movies). WARNING: For some reason this gems usually contain strong language.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    If a trailer accurately shows what the movie is like, then I don't think it is "horrible" trailer it the movie itself is bad. What would be.a "horrible" trailer is a trailer that made a horrible movie seem like a good one, or give you a false impression of the movie.

Oje of the worst trailers I know of is for the movie "Bridge to TeribythiA". From the trailer you would think the is a fantasy movie, but it is not. I actually thought it was a good movie, but thr trailer was completely misleading.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TDSEG57hI
    Agree that that trailer is pretty misleading. The movie definitely isn't your traditional fantasy a la Narnia or something.

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago after missing out on seeing it in cinemas (and I really wanted to see it back then). I liked it overall, but parts of it were really poorly written (and I've never read the book). Like, doesn't it seem odd that a young, female teacher (or any teacher, for that matter) would take a young, male student on an unsanctioned, one-on-one 'excursion'? And then, after this, the moving turns pretty depressing and never comes back from that. Maybe that's intentional, but it doesn't work well, in my opinion. 5/10.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Horrible trailers (of presumably horrible movies). WARNING: For some reason this gems usually contain strong language.

wtf I thought for years "the bridge to Tarabythia" was called "the Last Mimzy"

Nelson Mandela effect

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Agree that that trailer is pretty misleading. The movie definitely isn't your traditional fantasy a la Narnia or something.
    The difference is that the fantasy in Teribythia is not "real" but only imaginary, while in something like Narnia the fantasy, in the context of the story and movie, is intended to be "real". The trailernmDe it seem lime the fantasy was intended ro be real, not imaginary.

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago after missing out on seeing it in cinemas (and I really wanted to see it back then). I liked it overall, but parts of it were really poorly written (and I've never read the book). Like, doesn't it seem odd that a young, female teacher (or any teacher, for that matter) would take a young, male student on an unsanctioned, one-on-one 'excursion'? And then, after this, the moving turns pretty depressing and never comes back from that. Maybe that's intentional, but it doesn't work well, in my opinion. 5/10.
    Supposedly the death in the book/movie was inspired by a real event. I really like the girl Leslie, and hated to see her die, but sometimes life is like that. But it wasn't all bad, dealing with loss and guilt is a part of life.nn

About the female teacher taking a young male student to the museum, keep in mind when the book was written in the 1970's it was a different time, and even in 2007 when the movie was made it wouldn't be as much of an issue as it would be today. Anyways, the point is that the trailer gave you a false impression of the movie, making it a bad trailer.

If the trailer is awful and the movie is awful, then the trailer did its job. What would bad is having a good trailer for a horrible movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    wtf I thought for years "the bridge to Tarabythia" was called "the Last Mimzy"

Nelson Mandela effect
    Not really an example of the Mandela Effect, since there was a movie called "the Last Mimzy" that came out the same year, also featured a boy and girl in a science fiction movie. You just confused that movie with Bridge to Teribythia. Mandela Effect is a group of people remembering something that never happened, not just one individual.

I have a theory about thr Mandela Effect. I think that it could be people remembering an original history that was later changed due to the actions of some time traveler. Most people wouldn't remeber the original history, but perhaps a few people still retain some memories of the original history. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Frunk; May 03, 2020 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

I guess that makes sense. Kinda like White House Down vs Olympus has fallen coming out the same year and having virtually the same plot.

seems to happen quite often in Hollywood.

Dante's Peak vs. Volcano etc.

I guess that makes sense. Kinda like White House Down vs Olympus has fallen coming out the same year and having virtually the same plot.

seems to happen quite often in Hollywood.

Dante's Peak vs. Volcano etc.
    I have always wondered about that. I remember 3 Robin Hood movies all coming out at the same time. I have come up with 2 possibilities:

1. The movie people all go to the same parties. During the party, someone throws out the idea "Hey, wouldn't it be a good idea to make a new Robin Hood movie, or a movie about a volcano disaster?", and executives from the studios overhear the remark and think to themselves "That soundz lime a good.idea, we should make that movie."

Or

2. A studio executive learns that another studio is making a movie and thinks "That studio must know something. Besides, if the movie fails, I have the excuse that the other studio made the same type of movie and they thought it was a good idea".

my bet is on the latter, and also as a competition to see who can make the most money with a certain plot. White House Down despite being a much better movie was utterly destroyed by Olympus has Fallen. There no White House Down part 2 but we are on part 3 or 4? of OHF.

my bet is on the latter, and also as a competition to see who can make the most money with a certain plot. White House Down despite being a much better movie was utterly destroyed by Olympus has Fallen. There no White House Down part 2 but we are on part 3 or 4? of OHF.
    It gives you an edge if you can get your version of the movie out first. Olympus Has Fallen was released first, so by the tine White House Down was released, people just were not as interested in the topic since they had seen a similar movie just 3 months earlier. It is all about profit, Olympus Has Fallen earned $170 million on a budget of $70 million, while White House Down earned $205 million on a budget of $150 million, only half the profit. (Figures from Wikipedia). .

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I couldnt watch more than a minute. my eyes were starting to bleed and my brain wanted to flee through the back door.

For some reason I cant post the trailer right now. Certainly god loves us.
    (Fixed, Insallah)
    Last edited by mishkin; December 16, 2020 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Insallah, the video shall be fixed.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I don't recall seeing a movie that had a terrible trailer. I think the two are correlated
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12