Thread: The easiest way of fighting a battle in the open as either Sparta or Macedon

Default The easiest way of fighting a battle in the open as either Sparta or Macedon

I'm referring when playing against the AI in a campaign. Do you think this could be the easiest way to win all battles in the open when you play as either Sparta or Macedon?

Having pikemen or hoplites in the center with the phalanx option activated. Then lighter infantry units ( spearmen, axemen, swordsmen) to both sides ( to support the pikemen or hoplites or to watch for cavalry units ). Cavalry units to both flanks. A line of slingers behind the pikemen/hoplites line ( specially aiming at the enemy range units to get rid of them as fast as possible ) and the general behind. And perhaps 1 or 2 artillery units.

Tactics: generally staying on the defensive: just letting the enemy come and holding the line. Using both the slingers and the artillery units to cause as many losses as possible when the enemy melee units don't get close yet to the pikemen/hoplites line. Once the melee combat begins, ordering both your slingers/archers and artillery units to fire at the enemy range units ( of course you don't want your range units to accidentally shoot your infantry men on their back ). And watching for enemy cavalry units who might want to outflank the infantry line to attack your range units. If they come, I would try to get rid of them with both my light spearmen ( who are on the sides of the pikemen line) and cavalry and with some support of my general unit.

Note: Also both the light infantry and cavalry units can be used for attacking enemy infantry from their back or flanks ( enemy units who are clashing against the pikemen/hoplites line )

What do you think? Is there something more to add in order to even get better results in a battle?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 08, 2020 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: The easiest way of fighting a battle in the open as either Sparta or Macedon

Your post is pretty much the standard Hellenic battle formation, though the artillery is a nice spice.

As Sparta, though, I tend to forgo all cavalry save for two or three light units for mopping up fleeing units. Spartan hoplites are walking bricks and every battle will be a meat grinder heavily in your favor. I line them up in a checkered formation if I'm defending so that the enemy line can get caught up in the gaps and my skirmishers release javelins with minimal friendly fire. It saves a lot of time of trying to get your javelinmen around the line of battle (as well as watching out for opposing ranged units and cavalry) to throw it into the enemy units' backs.

As Macedon and any other Hellenic faction with access to pikes, I usually bait the enemy into attacking me for field battles, but if that doesn't work I go full aggro on the pikes.

Default Re: The easiest way of fighting a battle in the open as either Sparta or Macedon

Yes. It is uncomfortable to first get around the battle line. If you still have the game installed in your computer, can you please show some screenshots of how your formation is?