Thread: Gauls - Manpower Issues

Default Gauls - Manpower Issues

Playing with Gauls is being a very interesting experience because, so far, they seem to be the faction with the worst manpower pool I've seen so far (maybe Numidia is worse, without Conquered Tribe and Warhorse Herds). A 4 on skirmisher cavalry (which is nice, until the first reform, then it falls to a 3), 3 on mid tier tribal spearmen infantry, 3 on an okay skirmisher (2 after reform), 3 on a tribal levy that is pretty handy at eating charges, missiles, and tiring enemies... that's okay. Problem is, that is my capital, even on the top government. The Allied City government that is pretty prevalent is worse, offering mostly 2s, exception being the levy spearmen, and migrations being a similar issue. Allied City, furthermore, can't be upgraded to Confederation (if I read it correctly?), so turning a settlement into an Allied City that can be later turned into a Confederation is a major waste of resources and time.

So, regarding manpower, I personally would put it somewhere bellow Rome (great capital that can make an army by itself, meh Socii without colonies that can just contribute at most), probably bellow the Pritanoi as well (that got good recruitment of low tiers with Tribal Community and decent of mid tiers and cavalry with Large Tribal Communities, no idea about petty kingdoms yet).

So, how I have been navigating around it? Luckily Celts in general have fantastic battlefield surgery on the Druid traitline (although these ones clearly need it more than the others...), so this helps to keep my losses at low and make the most out of my men, but furthermore, something that I rarely did before, I have been scrapping out the bottom of the barrel of the mercenary pool, to some success.

Gaul (well, Western, as I am playing Arverni for now, but not feeling too much like trying the Aedui as they seem to be pretty much the same experience) got quite a few Mercenary regions, considering its size. With my territory (pretty much everything west of the Aedui, plus some advances I managed to make up to Normandy, north of the Pyrenees, up to almost Marseilles), which corresponded to roughly 8 provinces, I had access to at least 3 regions. Recruiting only the generic Gaul mercs (because of their interchangeability with the rest of the regions, easing up reinforcing in possible fronts) + the mid tiers of my capital + my plentiful skirmisher cav I could make some fairly decent armies real quick, although not very cheap. The problem with relying on the merc pool is that there's nothing you can do to reduce their recruitment cost unlike normal recruitment, but it did allow me to set up Protectorates everywhere to boost my economy quite nicely. Problem is, as I am at war with the Romans, things are starting to get a bit too tight for my liking, specially as the Pitanoi keep attacking me (I can always make them pay for peace immediately after though, but still, I am afraid it is a matter of time before I have to face them), and the Celitberians might go north any moment as well. And the Aedui are being friendly so far, but I am playing on Hard, so I don't know when I might get stabbed in the back.

So, is this how Gauls are meant to be played? Relying mostly on mercs? Do the later reforms improve my manpower pools? Am I missing something? And are the Boii just objectively superior because of the colonies, as the top government, military-wise, seems quite underwhelming? 4 recruitment slots with the same manpower as the confederation. It does make a nice gathering point for retraining my men from elsewhere, though, as well with the +1 experience it provides.

Default Re: Gauls - Manpower Issues

I have much more experience with the Eastern Celts than I do the Western, but I will say that I find the Boioi campaign to be much smoother going. There can be a few nasty surprises, but they have more room to expand, and their own interesting set of allies and auxiliaries. The Sweboz (and Lugiones) are the bane of AI Boioi, but they can be a mixed package for a human player. Boioi colonies are a very expensive investment, but if that isn't an issue then they are a massive boost to manpower.

I wouldn't say mercenary armies are crucial to the Gallic playstyle, though I have used mercenaries in an important capacity. I have managed to build an extensive Aruernoi kingdom despite the faction's limitations. I've mostly relied on the factional elites (mostly Arkoi and Eporeda Donnoi) to carry out crushing strikes on the battlefield, with my usage of mercenaries bolstering their numbers. Though I never made the mercenary pool a mainstay of recruitment thanks to it's unreliability.

I've tried to remedy this issue by invading into Iberia...with limited success. It seems the only way to really solve this problem (from the player's end) is to make extensive use of Allied Democracies, rely on raiding on the campaign map and FMs on the field to make up for lost income.

My advice for your situation is to make peace with/hold off the Romans, then trample the Pritanoi with your factional elites. Hopefully by this point in your playthrough they haven't started building their own Petty Kingdoms, or else they might be able to dull your edge in cavalry. The Celtiberians will also pose a problem in time. Once you've increased your income by enslaving Pritanoi forces and claiming their territory (at least push them into the British Channel,) hopefully you should be able to buy an alliance with the Celtiberians or Romans to keep from being overwhelmed.

Maybe it is a matter of balance. With Boii your core regions are mediocre, while with the Gauls, you are sitting on top of some of the richest provinces in the game. As these are your core regions, you can much more easily recruit troops and manage them, while the Boii would at most be able to set up Allied Cities there (although colonies would sure help out).

I think in retrospect maybe the Pritanoii are the ones, indeed, unbalanced, as they make way too much money for their regions, and their recruitment is so good they don't even have any actual need to touch their merc pool. In fact, they can even set up some insanely good allied governments in some areas that will easily supply 5s of good quality troops, while as the Arvenii I still didn't find any place that would be more worthwhile than a factional government.

I don't think game balance is what the team had in mind. The point of the mod is historical accuracy or authenticity, that doesn't strictly exclude a sense of balance, but the Boioi and Gauls shouldn't have been designed with game balance in mind. True, Gaul has more economic potential than Streuinta and Alkimoennos (though I've hit 6000+ income with Noreia), but Celtic lands are undeveloped enough in the early and mid game that I wouldn't say it's a big advantage. Any time I get good income from these provinces as a Celtic faction, I've had to rely on enslaved enemies and sacked cities to fast-track their development to that point. Also the Boioi have better starting income than the Gauls, as they start with two provinces.

Can't speak much about the Pritanoi, I've only taken the rest of the Isles with them, and haven't expanded into Europe beyond the British Channel. I'm guessing you're gonna need to get the British Kingdom reform in order to get those Allied Governments, because I've never seen an option like that in my continental holdings. Boioi colonies are expensive, but in the right place they can equal or even surpass your description. I'd also argue the Pritanoi roster also lack units that can deal with continental armoured infantry and cavalry efficiently.

The British Isles do bring in good income. I'm guessing that's because it was a major exporter of tin.

Despite their mediocre armor, the majority of their rooster have impressive offensive stats and good numbers, both in squad sizes and pools (although not as ridiculously good as the Sweboz that can just pump out armies with no end). Furthermore, considering how ridiculously cheap their main armies will be and how ridiculously rich the isles will make them, they could easily supllement their forces with Gaul mercs who will surely be of good help. Furthermore, the kingdom is necessary to improve the availability of their nobles (who are pretty good, both cavalry and on-foot, although Gauls will be able to recruit more, thanks to having two noble-tier infantrymen who are superior anyways) and heavy cav (which should be... alright I guess).

And no allied cities without the kingdom, I suppose. Considering all allied governments I found in Gaul were kinda , I'd say it would be better to have allied cities to avoid wasting the economic potential of these provinces.

Edit: I suppose you could also use migration. I think they offer slightly better numbers of mid tiers (2 Batoroi?) than the Allied Cities. Still, it is one of my last resort governments.
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; March 14, 2020 at 12:27 PM.

I rarely rely on the majority of my army to break the enemy. My style's more for relying on elites to create openings to exploit, and in that regard, the Pritanoi fall short. Arkoi and Eporeda Donnoi are some of the best fighters in the game, and almost all of the merc roster can't measure up to those two.

The AI Pritanoi and Sweboz having so many units can also work to the players advantage. I've enslaved several full stack's worth of soldiers from both of these, and got plenty of Mnai to re-invest back into my armies and cities. It's much easier to destroy AI Pritanoi and Sweboz as Celtic factions than it is vice versa...assuming the Celts haven't forgotten to bring their elites.

Looking at the Player Guide, Allied Cities aren't available before the Kingdom reform, but Migration is.

Migration is being quite terrible for me. It is offering very bad pools pretty much everywhere, with the exception of the recruitment of Retinue Swordsmen and Batoroi, who are pretty great units. Also the 2 was actually for Gallic Swordsmen (in some places?) which is... okay, not elite material though. The only good migration spot I found so far is nearing Illyria, in which the migration also offers a decent number of their men, so I PRESUME it works fine on non-celtic tribal lands and it just happens to suck on settled/"civilized" areas. Still, if it is your only way into the continent as the prits, go for it.

And to conclude that, I really think the Gaul governments should get some touches. Migrations are meant to offer great manpower, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If the migration offers a terrible pool, it's because you're trying to build it somewhere you shouldn't be.

To be fair it is a source of Retinues (1, elite tier) right awat and Batoroi (1, professional) with good culture conversion. The rest, Tribal Spearmen and Gallic Swordsmen, are mediocre and you might get similar if not larger numbers with Allied States. But if you are aiming to build up armies consisting entirely of elites, it can be a good deal.

Bro, you're out of your mind if you think that after you migrate somewhere there's going to be thousands of new Gauls there indigenously for you to recruit and use the second you conquer it. Migration is the best and most important barbarian government in the game, but it's an investment that takes time to come to fruition. You have to wait for your culture to build up before your factional troops will begin to be unlocked in the region and the province will have turned into a new society reflecting your influence. This can go a little faster if you use a high influence FM as governor. In Italy I had great success getting Cisalpine Gaul and Latium to convert into powerhouses of my faction playing as Sweboz and Arverni, respectively. Even in Greece, a thorough dead zone for the Sweboz, I was able to bring my culture as high as 17% in Thessaly which (if Greece were available to settle Germanic tribes, as I think some provinces there ought to be seeing as how this is the same country which witnessed the Dorian Migration for instance) eventually brought the province close to being a Germanic bastion in Hellas.

So... the building manager is lying to me? Because even checking the migration in places that got nearly 100% Western Tribals the options are not impressing me. And yes, I also didn't expect them to instantly give me hordes of gauls, but the browser tells me what it unlocks is not very impressive (1 batoroi at 25%, 2 spearmen at 40%). But if you have an example at hand of migration that would blow my mind away, please show, and I will just stop trusting the building manager.

Here's what the Aedui Migration looks like in the EDB:

Code:
    		aedui_mig requires factions { f_aedui, } and not building_present govallied and region_religion rel_e 25
    		{
    			capability ;; 12 * 0.03 - maximum 6 * 0.03 factional and 6 * 0.03 regional levies
    			{
    				;;; CORE
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry leuce epos"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry leuce epos"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry donno eporedoi"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry drutonedammoi"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, }
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry gallic swordsman"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and region_religion rel_e 25
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and region_religion rel_e 40
    				;;; GERMANIA
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and not event_counter ecSwebozEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry spearman late"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and event_counter ecSwebozEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource hr_i
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry frisian skirmishers"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource hr_i ; Raurikon
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry archer"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania
    				;;; RHINELAND
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and not event_counter ecSwebozEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry spearman late"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and event_counter ecSwebozEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource hr_river
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry chatti youths"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource hr_j ; Moenon
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry frisian skirmishers"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource belgic ; Ingaevon
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry archer"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource germania
    				;;; LUGIUTAUTA
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry pomeranian spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_h and not event_counter ecLugianReform 1
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_h and event_counter ecLugianReform 1 and not event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry spearman late"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_h and event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_h and not event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_h and event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry archer"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_h
    				;;; MATELILUDIS
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry pomeranian spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_g and not event_counter ecLugianReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_g and event_counter ecLugianReform 1 and not event_counter ecSwebozEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry spearman late"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_g and event_counter ecSwebozEra 1
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_g and not event_counter ecLugianReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_g and event_counter ecLugianReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry archer"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_g
    				;;; WIDURA
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource celtic and not event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry spearman late"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource celtic and event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource celtic and not event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource celtic and event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry slinger"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource celtic and not event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry slinger"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource celtic and event_counter ecLugianEra 1
    				;;; AISTITRENTA - placeholder pool until Baltic units are complete 
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry archer"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource baltic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				;;; ALPINE/EASTERN CELTIC
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry cisalpine"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and hidden_resource gallic
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry eponados"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry levy"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource thrakia and not hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.09  3  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 and not event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1 and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1 and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry archer"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1 and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hyparchia
    				;;; KOTTINON - placeholder pool until Slavic units completed
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry eponados"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource forested and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic cavalry bastarnae"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource forested and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "steppe infantry voini spearmen"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource forested
    				recruit_pool "lugian infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource forested
    				recruit_pool "steppe infantry scythian archers"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource forested
    				;;; GALATIA
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry eponados"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galatian raiders"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "hellenistic infantry pantodapoi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia
    				recruit_pool "eastern infantry anatolikoi phyletai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "hellenistic infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hyparchia and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				;;; BRITAIN
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry british riders"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry british spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton and not hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hr_h
    				recruit_pool "gaelic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton and hidden_resource celtic
    				recruit_pool "caledonian infantry gaisokrotiatoi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton and hidden_resource eastcelt
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry silures"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton and hidden_resource hr_h
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry british skirmisher"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry british slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource briton and not hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource eastcelt and not hidden_resource hr_h and not hidden_resource hr_g
    				;;; PATAVA
    				recruit_pool "illyrian cavalry histro venetic"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource horde_target
    				recruit_pool "italic infantry etruscan"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource horde_target
    				recruit_pool "italic infantry histro venetic"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource horde_target
    				recruit_pool "italic infantry umbro picenian"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource horde_target
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource horde_target
    				;;; LIGURIA - placeholder pool until Ligurian units are complete
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry cisalpine"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource celtic
    				recruit_pool "italic infantry etruscan"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource celtic
    				recruit_pool "ligurian infantry swordsmen"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource celtic
    				recruit_pool "ligurian infantry spearmen"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource celtic
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry balearic slingers"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource gallic and not hidden_resource celtic
    				;;; NESAKTON
    				recruit_pool "illyrian cavalry hippeis"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource hr_e ; Delmato-Pannonian
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry peltastai"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource hr_e and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry thureophoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource hr_e and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "hellenistic infantry akontistai"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource hr_e
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource hr_e
    				;;; SKODRA
    				recruit_pool "illyrian cavalry hippeis"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry hoplitai"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry hoplitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry thureophoroi"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry thureophoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry peltastai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j
    				recruit_pool "hellenistic infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource liburnes and hidden_resource hr_j
    				;;; EPIDAMNOS
    				recruit_pool "illyrian cavalry hippeis"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource greek2
    				recruit_pool "hellenistic infantry hoplitai haploi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource greek2
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry peltastai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource greek2
    				recruit_pool "hellenistic infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource greek2
    				;;; DELMATIA
    				recruit_pool "thracian cavalry hippakontistai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource mixed
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry levy"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource mixed
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry peltastai"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource mixed
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource mixed
    				;;; IBERIA
    				recruit_pool "celtiberian cavalry rider"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtiberia and not hidden_resource hr_h
    				recruit_pool "iberian cavalry cantabrian"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtiberia and hidden_resource hr_h
    				recruit_pool "iberian cavalry caetratii"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource iberia and hidden_resource horde_target
    				recruit_pool "iberian cavalry ilergetes"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource iberia and not hidden_resource horde_target and not hidden_resource hr_c ; Ilergetia and Lacetania
    				recruit_pool "iberian cavalry caetranann epones"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource lusitan
    				recruit_pool "celtiberian infantry dunaminaca spearmen"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtiberia
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry caetratii spearmen"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource iberia and hidden_resource horde_target
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry ilergetes spearman"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource iberia and not hidden_resource horde_target and not hidden_resource hr_c ; Ilergetia and Lacetania
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry gestikapoinann"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource lusitan
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry spearman"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtiberia or hidden_resource iberia or hidden_resource lusitan
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry skirmisher"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtiberia or hidden_resource iberia or hidden_resource lusitan
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry shepherd slinger"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not hidden_resource hr_c and hidden_resource celtiberia or hidden_resource iberia or hidden_resource lusitan
    				recruit_pool "iberian infantry balearic slingers"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource iberia and hidden_resource hr_c
    				;;; DARDANIA
    				recruit_pool "thracian cavalry prodromoi"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource thrakia
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry thureophoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource thrakia
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry peltastai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource thrakia and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galathraikes"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource thrakia and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource illyria and hidden_resource thrakia
    				;;; LANDA SKORDISKON
    				recruit_pool "illyrian cavalry delmato pannonian"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry uextias"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				recruit_pool "getic infantry komatai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_i and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galathraikes"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_i and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "illyrian infantry thureophoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_i
    				;;; MOISIA
    				recruit_pool "thracian cavalry prodromoi"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h and not event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic cavalry bastarnae"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h and event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galathraikes"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry uextias"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h and not event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry bastarnae"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h and event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry doryphoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource hr_h
    				;;; THRAIKE
    				recruit_pool "thracian cavalry hippakontistai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource royal_core and not hidden_resource hr_j
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry peltastai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource royal_core and not hidden_resource hr_j
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galathraikes"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource royal_core and not hidden_resource hr_j
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry doryphoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource royal_core and not hidden_resource hr_j
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource royal_core and not hidden_resource hr_j
    				;;; BYZANTION
    				recruit_pool "thracian cavalry hippakontistai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource greek2 and not event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "thracian cavalry hippeis"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource greek2 and event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galatian raiders"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource greek2 and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galathraikes"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource greek2 and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry doryphoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource greek2
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource thrakia and hidden_resource greek2
    				;;; DACIA
    				recruit_pool "getic cavalry mezenai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource hr_g
    				recruit_pool "getic infantry drapanai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource hr_g
    				recruit_pool "getic infantry getikoi stratiotai"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource hr_g
    				recruit_pool "getic infantry komatai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource hr_g
    				recruit_pool "getic infantry komatai toxotai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource hr_g
    				;;; MIKRA SKYTHIA
    				recruit_pool "steppe cavalry scythian horse archers"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2 and not event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic cavalry bastarnae"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2 and event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "eastern infantry doryphoroi pontikoi"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2 and not event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "germanic infantry bastarnae"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2 and event_counter ecThorakitaiReform 1
    				recruit_pool "getic infantry komatai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2 and not event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry galathraikes"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2 and event_counter ecThureosReform 1
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry doryphoroi"  1  0.06  2  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2
    				recruit_pool "thracian infantry sphendonitai"  1  0.03  1  0  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource dacia and hidden_resource greek2
    				;;; CELTIC MERCENARIES (for armour upgrades)
    				recruit_pool "celtic cavalry curepos"  1  0.045  0.99  1  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource baltic
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry drutonedammoi mercenary"  1  0.045  0.99  1  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource baltic
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry swordsman mercenary"  1  0.09  0.99  1  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource baltic
    				recruit_pool "celtic infantry spearman mercenary"  1  0.09  0.99  1  requires factions { f_aedui, } and hidden_resource celtic and not hidden_resource forested and not hidden_resource germania and not hidden_resource baltic
    				agent diplomat  1  requires factions { f_aedui, } and not event_counter diplomat_limit 1
    				agent_limit diplomat 1
    				happiness_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { f_aedui, } and not region_religion rel_e 50
    				happiness_bonus bonus -2 requires factions { f_aedui, } and not region_religion rel_e 30
    				law_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { f_aedui, } and region_religion rel_e 40
    				religion_level bonus 1 requires factions { f_aedui, } and not region_religion rel_e 65 and event_counter ecReligionUpdate 1
    				recruitment_slots 2 requires factions { f_aedui, } and not event_counter ecWinter 1
    				recruitment_slots 4 requires factions { f_aedui, } and event_counter ecWinter 1
    The Core part appears anywhere, if that's all you can see, it's because it isn't somewhere with an intended pool of locals. The crap pool in your "homelands" (ie no additional locals) is intentional. You are being forced to add destabilising Confederations, or opt for a dead-end Allied State.

Migrations are not a permanent government for your homeland regions.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; March 17, 2020 at 06:54 AM.

I see. Funnily enough if you follow my campaign on the Screenshots thread, you will see that I didn't as much as touch most of these intended regions (exception being Liguria and some of Dalmatia, but there I decided to opt for Allied Governments instead because the migration pool didn't impress me). I guess I can trust the building manager then, after all?

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I see. Funnily enough if you follow my campaign on the Screenshots thread, you will see that I didn't as much as touch most of these intended regions (exception being Liguria and some of Dalmatia, but there I decided to opt for Allied Governments instead because the migration pool didn't impress me). I guess I can trust the building manager then, after all?
    The building browser is usually trustworthy on recruitment, but it can report garbage on other effects.

Allied Governments being preferred is working as intended for the most part. Our Celtic factions are not imperialists like the Romans, Carthaginians or even Successors, their options outside their heartlands are deliberately limited.

While that is a valid design choice, it doesn't result in particularly entertaining gameplay. As show before I managed to be quite successful in mounting an elite army, specially when led by druids, and the government models to a degree work in favor of that. Allied Cities provide noble cavalry, migrations, retainers, and Confederations, both, + nobles, + better availability of heavy cavalry. However, as your development level is capped at 4 / Large Cities, the supposed peaceful gameplay becomes hampered.

To the original post: I've done a handful of long campaigns with Arverni, and whenever I have the general Celtica region under lock I'll go on long sea journeys to Greece, North Africa, Italy, really everywhere along the Eastern med, sack weakly-defended territories and use the spoils to hire regional mercenaries. Keep moving, keep getting new mercenaries in new territories. You end up with a pretty fun army pretty quickly! Plenty of very strong mercenaries along the Iberian coast as well.

Been experimenting a little more with the governments. Confederations on all gaul will fill you with elites (for the most part) but will tank your FL authority HARD. You can keep a bare minimum (3, to get the last reform earlier?) and turn the other provinces in Allied Governments. I am impartial towards Democracies, because a Closely Allied Democracy will net you 2 Retainers, while a CA Oligarchy, Noble Cavalry and Noble Infantry. The difference is small, but I feel more comfortable with 2 of the same than 1 of each. Besides, the Retinue is probably their best infantry (less stats than nobles, better charge, better numbers), while your capital + the selected confederations will give you the cavalry you need.

That is important because Allied Cities in the Gaul homelands will be HORRIBLE compared to the areas that are meant to have them (Belgium, other celtic areas, etc). Furthermore, some places are better for the Confederations than the others. Near the alps will be fantastic, you get the whole rooster + naked fanatics. Armorica is a waste of resources, no extra units, Armorican Nobles in place of the Retinue. I may elaborate more later.