Thread: What do you prefer to do in the early stages of a campaign when playing as Baktria?

Default What do you prefer to do in the early stages of a campaign when playing as Baktria?

- Do you first prefer to advance to the west to take Amul and then to the north to get rid of the northern nomad tribes? These most likely declare you war in the campaign and maybe you'd need to secure your northern frontiers. Or do you first prefer to ignore the northern nomadic tribes and instead, advance to the south/west?

Note: One of the bonus objectives is precisely getting into war against the nomad tribes. Do you rather ignore this?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 07, 2020 at 02:20 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: What do you prefer to do in the early stages of a campaign when playing as Baktria?

I like going west initially as Bactria, ignoring the northern tribes. Yes, I tend to get bonus objectives accidentally rather than intentionally.

Default Re: What do you prefer to do in the early stages of a campaign when playing as Baktria?

Precisely at this moment I'm playing a campaign. I chose the option of advancing to the west/south and ignoring the northern nomad tribes ( they are fighting each other now. Maybe later I can attack them when they are weakened). Luckily they haven't declared war to me yet. But at least I should have one army watching my northern borders just in case...

What I first attacked was Amul. It was a piece of cake to take the city. Second, I declared war to Aria. Now I have all the Aria province in my hands. Now I'm fighting a two-front war: one against the Parthians and the other against the Persians. Till now, they haven't been too tough to beat them in the battlefield.

One advice men: From the start, ally with Arachosia ( at least get the defensive alliance. It is very helpful to secure your southern frontier ( because Arachosia will take care of Sagartia. It will most likely defeat it ). This way, you can focus on fighting only in the west both against parthia and persia
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 08, 2020 at 06:21 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Your thread inspired me to start a new Bactria campaign at the weekend, I used the same strategy, resulting in a similar position. Persia took the southern Aria region and Parthia declared war on Bactria - so, like you, I was likely to face a two-front war against Parthia and Persia.

It looks like defeating the early campaign Parthia won't be difficult, but Persia might be more challenging - I wonder if you (or other Bactria players) have similar experiences and what are the best tactics to use against Persia.

I agree, too, with your advice about securing your southern frontier by treaties with Arachosia.

I'm glad for that, Alwyn. I forgot to mention the Bam faction. Don't attack that faction either. It can also serve you to keep Sagartia busy in the South. A non-agression pact and military access treaty will be enough. Maybe later after yo get rid of both Persia and Parthia, you can attack it if you wish or most importantly, if it's really necessary bothering getting into war against Bam..
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 09, 2020 at 06:02 PM.