Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A case to end disasterous and unwinable "war on drugs"

Default Re: A case to end disasterous and unwinable "war on drugs"

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Why would taxing cannabis or other currently controlled substances be difficult? Plenty of governments seem perfectly capable of taxing alcohol and tobacco SNTD Kratom.
    you can also add more about the kratom which industry is also facing same issue even banned in multiple states

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Wasn't Al Capone convicted only because of tax fraud?^^
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

That's all they could charge and convict him for, but it's absurdly naive and revisionist to say that the ONLY thing he was arrested for was tax evasion. Obviously he would have been charged with a laundry list of crimes if they had the evidence to charge him for it but they rightfully realized it was safer to get an assured conviction for something "simple" than only a chance at a conviction for a heinous crime.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    @Gigantus: In Germany it`s totally possible (and I had already some cases)to tax the Profits and the Sales of illegal Drugs.
    Since most of those offenders can`t proof their Expenses in a acceptable way, the taxable Profit is quite high
    I am fairly sure they didn't declare it as 'sales of illegal drugs' - rather that they were unable to disguise the declared income as legitimate income (that would have been really sloppy so I am not convinced) and\or show deductibles. In which case the state taxed them on their rather impressive profit margin as is their right.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Wasn't Al Capone convicted only because of tax fraud?^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Is there a bigger crime then tax evasion? I mean that's what got Al Capone locked up, not his other assorted crimes.
    And yes, it's simplistic but factual. At least I am not aware that he was ever charged with anything else.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 28, 2020 at 01:17 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Sorry Gigantus, didn't read the full thread, especially if it supposed keywords are "those liberal elites", "Hillary did it"... etc
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Sorry Gigantus, didn't read the full thread, especially if it supposed keywords are "those liberal elites", "Hillary did it"... etc
    Yeah, that's why I rather put in my 5 cents on the underlying premise (war on drugs bad - alternatives?) instead of responding to the distracting\misleading dressing up.

Edit: I am only rather surprised that every one is picking on it (HH's and my premise) because of the the legal side and not because of their utterly simplistic outlook:

HH: Ending war on drugs would not only eliminate major source of income for a variety of dangerous and violent organized crime groups, it would also free up billions in budget that would otherwise be wasted on preventing Jimmie Jim from buying a joint or a baggie of coke. Is preventing him from doing that really worth it?

Me: make it taxable - that's all what government is interested in

And with this I'll bow out of this discussion, maybe one should discuss how making the profits of a criminal organization legit and enabling the free availability of highly addictive (and disabling) drugs is not an alternative to this 'war on drugs'?

Here is a thought in parting: a reduction of the consumer\worker base multiple times faster then tobacco and alcohol does can neither be in the interest of co-operations or the state. What's happening right now virus wise is a rather extreme level of that reduction, but it shows the base of that stance never the less (opening by Easter, anyone?).

shakes head and exits center stage left (or is it right?)
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 28, 2020 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You missed my point, completely. Governments are entitled to taxation, all of it, it forms the base of their existence and there isn't a single government that doesn't spend more money then they are getting - making the search for more taxation opportunities the holy grail of the finance ministries. Ergo if something can be taxed it will be taxed. Please don't state exemptions in general or otherwise, they are TAX exemptions, meaning they are listed as taxable but are exempt by way of a zero tax tariff.

So my stance remains: "If it ain't taxable it ain't legal"
    Drugs, like any goods and services are perfectly taxable. The point here is that even without tax income from drugs, government would still lose less then with enforcing drug laws.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Drugs, like any goods and services are perfectly taxable. The point here is that even without tax income from drugs, government would still lose less then with enforcing drug laws.

Was it really necessary to confirm that you do not pay attention to the outside world when posting? Recommendation: read new posts until the latest one, THEN reply.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 30, 2020 at 08:06 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Coke etc s people up badly
    It is beneficial to society when a brainless rich person trashes his own brain with coke and empties his wealth accumulated over generations.

Farmers, factory labors, transporters, medical and funeral services. Lots of jobs created, and lowered Gini coefficient.

As soon as it's legalized everyone can even benefit from tax of that, and the customers will pay very happily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12