Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WIP Screen shots Gallery

Default Re: WIP Screen shots Gallery

WIP new Novorossijsk helmet and Gnezdovo helmet for the Byzantines. Also in pic you can see updated klivanion and scale armour from Latiki Preslav:

Novorossijsk helmet
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gnezdovo helmet

Last edited by Athos187; October 20, 2020 at 02:48 PM.

WIP Raqada type helm for Byzantines. Also you can see gilded klivanion for use by Tagma:

Such a good work!

Danix265's Avatar Laetus

Hey Athos! this models are fantastic (as usual )!
    P.S.: will the Romans (or Byzantines if you prefer) be playable in the campign?

Yes the Byzantines will be fully playable on the campaign.

We have a new Byzantine arming cap now:

Is this a Komnenian Era Byzantines?

Meant to be mid 11th century equipment made according to the various academic and reenactment sources of Magister Militum Flavius Aetius.

Athos, I have 2 questions for you; 1st, in regards to the byzantine units, will the more heavier variants have any like chainmail gloves/gauntlets? I would imagine they had some sort of protective equipment for their hands during the 11th century. Especially for the kataphracts. And 2nd, do you have any pictures on how the Emperor/Generals will appear?

Yes, Byzantines had pretty advanced chain maille technology at this time and we will be giving them full hauberks and chausses in addition to a variant with chain maille mittens like in this pic:

As for the emperor, he wasnt personally involved in Italy at this time so he will not be making an appearance ( I do want to have some random Byzantine invasions later in the game timeline just in case they get wiped).

As for generals we are working on some highly decorated and colorful variants of all our Byzantine equipment so they they stick out from the rest of the unit.

How will the differences of the two empires and the rest of the European kingdoms be reflected in campaign. As far as i know, Konrad 2. and Heinrich 3. were the highpoint of Salian power, while Byzantium too was going through a big revival after the death of Basil 2.

Ya there is a pretty big difference between the Byzantines and the Germans at this time.

Byzantine military strength in Italy was mostly based on Imperial Regiments from the Tagmata. Their military recruitment will be based on the usual Total War set up with a barracks building and ability to recruit all units directly. Everything will be more centralized with direct control by the Catepenate of Italy.

The Germans meanwhile will be pretty divided with the Emperor having some land based in Franconia and the rest of the duchies being vassals in name only (basically just having them as defensive allies), with a few of the historically most supportive factions being direct vassals that will help with wars of aggression. Also their military strength is based on the mercenary recruitment system with limited numbers of local knights and sergeants and the bulk of the armies made up of directly recruited levies and militias.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    Yes, Byzantines had pretty advanced chain maille technology at this time and we will be giving them full hauberks and chausses in addition to a variant with chain maille mittens like in this pic:

As for the emperor, he wasnt personally involved in Italy at this time so he will not be making an appearance ( I do want to have some random Byzantine invasions later in the game timeline just in case they get wiped.)

As for generals we are working on some highly decorated and colorful variants of all our Byzantine equipment so they they stick out from the rest of the unit.
    Thats great to hear! You mentioned that during this time, Sicily was held by the imperial Tagmata units, how many Tagmata units were holding Sicily exactly and which ones? I thought most of the Tagmata units were being used to fight the bulgars north of Greece.

Only definitive information I've gotten is that the Varangian guard and Maniakalatai were heavily involved with Byzantine field armies in Italy during this time period.

The Maniakalatai were like the Varangians in that they were made up of foreigners, in this case "Franks" which was a term used broadly to describe Western Europeans.

Apart from those two I dont really have too much definitive information except that the bulk of the Byzantine field armies in Italy were Tagmatic units. That leaves us some leeway to include well known units to fill in important slots such as Excubitores as heavy kataphractoi and Vardarioti as medium cavalry etc

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    Only definitive information I've gotten is that the Varangian guard and Maniakalatai were heavily involved with Byzantine field armies in Italy during this time period.

The Maniakalatai were like the Varangians in that they were made up of foreigners, in this case "Franks" which was a term used broadly to describe Western Europeans.

Apart from those two I dont really have too much definitive information except that the bulk of the Byzantine field armies in Italy were Tagmatic units. That leaves us some leeway to include well known units to fill in important slots such as Excubitores as heavy kataphractoi and Vardarioti as medium cavalry etc
    ManiaKalatai? Werent they called the Latinotai (spelled it wrong most likely)? I wasn’t aware they had a different name for the franks.

Ya thats the name I found. Always up for changing stuff if you all can provide good evidence.

As part of the Anno Domini Project we will be completing several mods in different time periods. So I've been using some of the new models to recreate some late 9th century warriors for Anno Domini: 885.

Carolingian Warrior with Ridge Helmet and Ulfberht sword

Norse Warrior with chainmaille byrnie, Ridge helmet with nasal and Ulfberht sword:

Fully Armored Norse Drengr and Carolingian Milite:

what happened to the mailles?

Its all still just WIP.

Think your referring to the long chainmaille hauberk? The one above is just a placeholder till we make a nice coifless one. For 9th century we will be mostly going with chainmaille aventails like the one's in the previews instead of coifs.
    Last edited by Athos187; November 18, 2020 at 10:18 AM.

Athos. I think Banskie is referring to the graphic quality(darker and not reflecting the shininess/metallic). (This is Rob btw, the modeler.) We should point out that your had to switch computers due to technical issues, so the visual quality in the preview is lower than normal. This doesn't represent max graphics settings as the previous screenshots did.

Quote Originally Posted by robtim92 View Post
    Athos. I think Banskie is referring to the graphic quality(darker and not reflecting the shininess/metallic). (This is Rob btw, the modeler.) We should point out that your had to switch computers due to technical issues, so the visual quality in the preview is lower than normal. This doesn't represent max graphics settings as the previous screenshots did.
    I see, you have great models there btw. Really looking forward fore more byzzie previews.

He is actually working on making a custom settlement for the western europeans, instead of the tired old run down roman town we always see in AOC the plan is try and have this motte and bailey castellum and village as the manor settlement in the campaign: