Thread: Stuttering (units and sometimes camera scroll)

Default Stuttering (units and sometimes camera scroll)

Does anyone else experience stuttering (units and often camera scroll) sometimes with bad FPS drops though not always, despite hardware not being maxed out (neither CPU nor GPU are ever at 100% usage) Medium unit sizes and most things on high/very high. (No AA) Anytime I have large battles (2v2 or more) after they start fighting I get a lot of stuttering.

Things I've done to try and resolve it that haven't worked:

-I've messed around with the graphics settings ALOT (tried every setting at every level you can imagine). Added my VRAM in preferences, ran in open window, low water, low everything etc...
    -Tried drivers etc...
    -Tried setting affinity for CPU cores and set priority to high no luck.
    -Changed power settings in windows too.

I'm on a new PC (ryzen 5 2600 and rx 580 4GB 24 GB RAM), but even on my laptop which was an i7 4720HQ and an 970m I still had it. I've never been able to run RII without such stuttering.

(I prefer to play with Divide et Impera, but stuttering happens with or without)

I think I've concluded that it's not a hardware potential issue, ie. that there's no possibility of the "power" of my system to run it properly. Because even when I put the graphics on LOW and get a solid 60FPS when there are many units engaged (2v2 battles) there's still lots of stuttering amongst the units. Even changing the resolution doesn't help. Oddly sometimes if I pause then un-pause it will go away for a very short while. I'm about to give up....any help? I would forever be grateful.

-Also if you are or aren't experience stuttering what is your computer's specs and how are you running the game on large battles? Mine is a ryzen 2600, rx 580 4GB, 24 GB of DDR4 2200MHZ RAM, SSD.Other set up is an i7 4720hq, GTX 970m 3GB, 8GB 1600MHZ RAM, HD with same problem.

EDIT:

I found the issue!!!! This is incredible, I've spent 4 years trying to figure this out, on over 5 different setups (will have to try to see if the stuttering is still on my laptop later.

In the battle interface (which I never though to have this great of an effect) the unit flags, disabling them gives me not only a 10FPS increase! But also completely stops the unit stuttering. Unfortunate as I like to be able to see the flags to better command my troops, but still it's amazing to have finally discovered the issue. Now only if CA could resolve this without having to disable them...

I was so moved by this that I sent SEGA/CA the following letter;

"First, I'd just like to say many many many thanks. I have been a TW fan since the days of Shogun and it is hands down my favorite series of games ever made. That being said, there have of course been many issues with them throughout the years (many good mods have made them much better as well and I am equally thankful to the modders who've made this possible). Most importantly I always had an issue of units stuttering in Rome II and saw many people reported it for Atilla and Warhammer as well. There were so many possible solutions listed online, from changing CPU affinity, to graphics, drivers and the list goes on. For around 4 years I tried most everything...until today. I thought to myself, what if I mess around with all the battle interface options. Well low and behold, after turning off unit flags I got an immediate 10FPS gain, but more importantly the stuttering that I would get in any semi large engagement even when having solid FPS went away entirely. Sometimes it would still be that way with them enabled but only on mouse over, other times not (after extensive testing). All in all I think this issue should be looked into at the very least for RII as I had this issue on 5 different PC's including two laptops. It;d be preferable to play with the flags at least as an option without the stutter, so if it could be fixed that would be much appreciated. Not to mention I've seen MANY people have this issue as well, and most of them apparently never finding a solution...this could be it."

EDIT III:

As commented , I thought I'd found a solution. And it did work for 8,000 man battles whereas before I would have had stuttering, however when I tried 14,000 man battles even when I would have 40-60 FPS (even on all low graphics) I would get the stuttering once the units engaged with or without unit flags enabled. So, it does work somewhat though it is apparently not an complete solution.

Now I've even tried it on an i7 9700k with a RTX 2070 and still get the unit stuttering...that's 6 different PC setups and they all get unit stuttering.
    Last edited by gnosis89; March 15, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

Default Re: Stuttering (units and sometimes camera scroll)

Yeah, try lowering water (there's sometimes water underneath terrain for some reasons) and shadows perhaps, if anything is related to usage of RAM, then you'll have to consider that Rome 2 was hardlocked to 4gb usage, so that might be part of the issue.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Yep and there's also a tech support thread above in the stickied topics.

I've tried just about every graphics option....and my water is always set to low. Tried low shadows too. Does anyone else have this issue? Even when other TW games drop to a low FPS I don't get the terrible stuttering.

Are you using any graphics mods?

KAM had a similar issue a long time ago, but I can't remember how he solved it.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

You can solve the stuttering units by building the speech therapy building in your capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Are you using any graphics mods?

KAM had a similar issue a long time ago, but I can't remember how he solved it.
    I am now, but I have the stuttering with or without any graphics mods. I haven't tried vanilla TW in ages, so I could give that a try today too. Thing is, I've had this issue across 4-5 different setups now (two laptops and 3 desktops) so I'm quite dumbfounded.

Should have asked this earlier, but also if you are or aren't experience stuttering what is your computer's specs?

Mine is a ryzen 2600, rx 580 4GB, 32 GB of DDR4 2200MHZ RAM, SSD.
    Other set up is an i7 4720hq, GTX 970m 3GB, 8GB 1600MHZ RAM, HD
    Last edited by gnosis89; March 05, 2020 at 11:46 PM.

Senator

i7, 16GB RAM, 512SSD, GTX 970, runs great.
    When I upgraded to a GTX 1660Ti, it ran like crap, no matter what graphics setting, no matter how much I overclocked it, even playing vanilla, I spent a week trying to get any info I could, nothing fixed it, reverted back to the GTX970.

Edit, I wouldn't expect much from a laptop, the i7 on a laptop is probably the equivalent to a i3 on a PC, laptop video cards are pretty meh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zonks40 View Post
    i7, 16GB RAM, 512SSD, GTX 970, runs great.
    When I upgraded to a GTX 1660Ti, it ran like crap, no matter what graphics setting, no matter how much I overclocked it, even playing vanilla, I spent a week trying to get any info I could, nothing fixed it, reverted back to the GTX970.

Edit, I wouldn't expect much from a laptop, the i7 on a laptop is probably the equivalent to a i3 on a PC, laptop video cards are pretty meh as well.
    What kind of i7?

Isn't that odd. I've had this issue on 5 different set ups now though! Most recently on a ryzen 5 2600, rx 580 4GB, and 32 GB of RAM and an SSD and it plays even worse than it does on my laptop...which is the i7 4720hq and 970m, 8GB RAM and a HD. (It still stutters a lot in big battles on the laptop too, just lest scrolling stutter)

I've spent so much time on different rigs trying to fix this stutter issue. Today I found that the more AI there is (as opposed to me controlling an army) there is somewhat more stutter, but still there's always stutter. I will try playing a 1v1 large armies battle with two humans and see how that goes tomorrow....

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    You can solve the stuttering units by building the speech therapy building in your capital.
    geez...

I think I've concluded that it's not a hardware potential issue, ie that there's no possibility of the "power" of my system to run it properly. Because even when I put the graphics on LOW and get a solid 60FPS when there are many units engaged (2v2 battles) there's still lots of stuttering amongst the units. Even changing the resolution doesn't help. Oddly sometimes if I pause then unpause it will go away for a very short while. I'm about to give up....

Again, I've already tried changing every graphics setting to no avail...

EDIT:

I found the issue!!!! This is incredible, I've spent 4 years trying to figure this out, on over 5 different setups (will have to try to see if the stuttering is still on my laptop later.

In the battle interface (which I never though to have this great of an effect) the unit flags, disabling them gives me not only a 10FPS increase! But also completely stops the unit stuttering. Unfortunate as I like to be able to see the flags to better command my troops, but still it's amazing to have finally discovered the issue. Now only if CA could resolve this without having to disable them...
    Last edited by gnosis89; March 07, 2020 at 10:16 PM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    What kind of i7?

Isn't that odd. I've had this issue on 5 different set ups now though! Most recently on a ryzen 5 2600, rx 580 4GB, and 32 GB of RAM and an SSD and it plays even worse than it does on my laptop...which is the i7 4720hq and 970m, 8GB RAM and a HD. (It still stutters a lot in big battles on the laptop too, just lest scrolling stutter)

I've spent so much time on different rigs trying to fix this stutter issue. Today I found that the more AI there is (as opposed to me controlling an army) there is somewhat more stutter, but still there's always stutter. I will try playing a 1v1 large armies battle with two humans and see how that goes tomorrow....
    My i7 is a 2700K, it's overclocked to around 4.6Ghz but the limiting factor is that it only supports up to PCIX Gen 2, still runs very well for an 8 year old CPU.

I find it hard to believe that nobody else has had such issues with unit stutter given that I've had this on 5 different PCs and no matter what the settings.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I have a ryzen 5 1600 /6 cores/ 8 giga / radeon rx 460 (a basic workstation)
    low/medium graph settings + reducing graph pack and never had a single stuttering issue even with huge armies

could be your hd is full of crap so the machine is slow by default, try to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    I have a ryzen 5 1600 /6 cores/ 8 giga / radeon rx 460 (a basic workstation)
    low/medium graph settings + reducing graph pack and never had a single stuttering issue even with huge armies

could be your hd is full of crap so the machine is slow by default, try to clean it.
    I've tried it on 5 different set ups and many times after having just reset windows and having completely clean hard drives, still same problem.
    I just acquired a new PC an i7 9700k with a RTX 2070, 16 GB 3000MHz RAM and a 250 GB SSD for $700 so well see what happens with this set up....

This is a very common problem and is especially emphasized with DeI due to the large unit numbers. Generally speaking the reason for it is poor multicore optimization and also terrible GPU and CPU interplay from the game engine.

There really only are two solutions, both not very satisfying: One is to set the game speed to slow-motion once the stuttering begins until enough units have died off. The other is to simply reduce the unit sizes...

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    I've tried it on 5 different set ups and many times after having just reset windows and having completely clean hard drives, still same problem.
    I just acquired a new PC an i7 9700k with a RTX 2070, 16 GB 3000MHz RAM and a 250 GB SSD for $700 so well see what happens with this set up....
    Here in Australia you would pay $700 just for the RTX 2070!

Yes, it was a good deal on the PC, despite being a prebuilt option with as usual a poor MOBO and PSU.
    Anyhow, while I get 60 +FPS pretty stable I still get unit stutter in large battles....very frustrating. I've no idea how those who get no unit stutter whatsoever can run it as such....

Quote Originally Posted by yaxl3y View Post
    This is a very common problem and is especially emphasized with DeI due to the large unit numbers. Generally speaking the reason for it is poor multicore optimization and also terrible GPU and CPU interplay from the game engine.

There really only are two solutions, both not very satisfying: One is to set the game speed to slow-motion once the stuttering begins until enough units have died off. The other is to simply reduce the unit sizes...
    This happened to me also when changed from large unit scale to huge. Never had any problems with large scale and I know for sure that my specs are well ahead hanling RomeII at higher graph options... It's really weird that this is a problem that cannot be solved with muscle. I mean this is perhaps the first time I have stumpled into this kind of a problem.

All in all, the benefits from changinh to huge scale are close to none in my opinion. It's something that does not really add to ingame experience...