Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Decision] Close TWC's Living History Forum

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default [Decision] Close TWC's Living History Forum

Author: Van Zandt

The "TWC Living History Forum" was opened (unlocked) with the hope that this would spur activity is this long nascent area. This has proven to be a failure. Only two threads were opened and both have been abandoned for almost a year. This area contains mostly threads related to the events of 2006-2007 anyway, so opening new threads there doesn't really make much sense.

Lets close it and make it the museum it should be.
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; March 02, 2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: add information

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: [Decision] Close TWC's Living History Forum

But at least one this two new threads is about events from 2008:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15572455

Why should biographic memories from former hex be forbidden?

Is there a need to glorify the past of the curia?

Edit:

A link in your proposal to the forum, which shall be closed, would be nice. Needed some time to discover it.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; March 02, 2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    But at least one this two new threads is about events from 2008:
    Thats the whole point, there is no activity here.

Why should biographic memories from former hex be forbidden?

Is there a need to glorify the past of the curia?
    The forum will be locked but still visible, as it always has been.

​​

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

But former hex will be unable to post their memories there.

Why should this sectíon be frozen at the "golden time" of 2006/2007?

"Living history" about the time after 2007 is also interesting and useful to understand the things, why they become, how they are.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

A forum dedicated to history closing a forum dedicated to it's own history.

I've never understood the need around here for closing inactive forums rather than posting in them.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

First of all, the board in question.

Regarding forums, inactivity, and forum bloat. I am of the mind TWC still possesses too many sections, too many of which serve little purpose and could use proposals of their own to consider. However, I consider this proposal both a bite too small and a bite too large. Perhaps the best way to say it is, 'off point'.

It is already the museum, evidenced by its activity. I put it to you that one of two things should happen. First, consider actually contributing. A board called "Living History" could stand to live a little. If it has a distinct spot in the structure today, let it serve a purpose rather than a mere archive. Detail your own experiences, as anyone here can. Hell, from the looks of it I could do that given some prose and reflection, and I don't even have much worth the section with the exception of the hotseat drama business, which was indeed a significant aspect to site history in the modern time, even if a very local one in scope. Second, consider merging or moving the board to a more dedicated archive area while changing the scope to encompass a broader view of site history in a form that would resemble the Scriptorium's function. Indeed, perhaps there is potential in considering how that forum can intersect with the Scriptorium and general archiving efforts. But that is out of scope and another proposal/discussion entirely. What I will say is that merely closing it is not worth the deliberate process of this section, relative as that term may be. The potential is greater, and the gains of just this are insignificant, especially if someone actually finds the drive to bring something significant. If there is a concern about time period, a good rework of the index post is more than suitable to keep things by era... if merely using timestamps and a bit of scrolling isn't enough.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I've never understood the need around here for closing inactive forums rather than posting in them.
    Can't recall having ever closed a thread, or seen it being done, never mind a forum due to inactivity in all my years as moderator\admin.

Used to have a standard speech for the occasion when one of the new minions would come up with a proposal like this, probably excitement over all the new toys at disposal. Speech starts off with a pat on the back for showing interest and initiative and most importantly asking for input before taking action. It ends with an admonishment for the assumption that just because no one has posted for a lengthy period no one ever will.

Pointing out that posting a closing message always looks like censure and hence needs to have a clear cut base in the rules I kept for the more senior minions.

As to Commodus' comment, I agree with his assessment "But that is out of scope and another proposal/discussion entirely" as this proposal does not address any of his points (other then the detailed participation angle), intentionally or otherwise.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 02, 2020 at 09:44 PM. Reason: #@% gremlins

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

As the one who proposed opening it and for failing to update a project of my own therein, I naturally bear more than my fair share of responsibility for the failure here; I certainly should of and can still do more to inspire activity here, and this is something I care about a lot. I shouldn't make excuses for that and I can only apologise for where I have come up short. However, after passing the resolution unanimously with a lot of positivity and fanfare, I was very disheartened to see no one else use the forum, despite encouragement both public and private on my part. Nevertheless I still feel it is better open than closed, should anyone ever find the drive, as Commodus puts it. I still have things I would like to post there myself, which I have perennially been 'putting off until tomorrow', but I would be happy to consider this the proverbial kick up the arse to actually get working, if it meant keeping the forum open. But I also don't want to be the only one doing it, as I believe every member here has an interesting story to tell, all of which could be welcome in the LHF, and it would be certainly worth talking with the Curator to see if there could be some kind of competition or event to motivate people to get writing.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Can't recall having ever closed a thread, or seen it being done, never mind a forum due to inactivity in all my years as moderator\admin.
    Having memory of arguments around not closing forums/threads, for the sake of it, is still fresh enough to me. This forum replaced the Forum Magnum, one example. The ‘Capitol’ once stretched across a number of forums, now reduced to a shadow.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I am very fuzzy about Curia history - are you talking about closed, still in place\accessible forums or merged\moved\renamed forums? The latter is not what I was referring to. For me it's about closing here, eg disabling posting in accessible forums\threads.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

It arms nothing. Just leave it. Beside, could it evolve as a blog like other TWC publications? It may help to make it live again
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

The TWC Living History forum has the same status as a hosted mod forum, especially the abandoned mod forums, even if it seems abandoned.

Besides, it is GED who can and should decide what to do and not to do.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I think rather than just getting rid of the sub forum it would be a good idea to port over the history and testimonials to the wiki before deciding whether or not to purge the forum.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I think rather than just getting rid of the sub forum it would be a good idea to port over the history and testimonials to the wiki before deciding whether or not to purge the forum.
    Please don't, I appreciate the love for the wiki and I know there's some 1st person opinion stuff on the wiki about TWC history already, but we really don't want more of either;

*Things the author might not want to be copied onto there
    *Things the original author wouldn't want to be edited by others
    *Things that others might want to argue about the factual basis of

We just had a similar discussion on the wiki channel in TWC discord (about the scriptorium)

Expanding the TWC History section on the wiki to link to the interesting threads in the LH forum would be useful though
    I assume no-one's actually going to delete the threads, even if the forum was closed/merged so linking to them should work whatever happens...

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Clicking that link to the discord just sends me my discord homepage.

*Things the author might not want to be copied onto there
    *Things the original author wouldn't want to be edited by others
    *Things that others might want to argue about the factual basis of

Gotcha

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Clicking that link to the discord just sends me my discord homepage.
    ahhh, I'm not good at this!

It probably needs an invite https://discord.gg/6bQ6bz ?

But that should be the same place as the The Official TWC Discord Server one hopefully...

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I’m not in favour of this
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Opposed.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Lets close it and make it the museum it should be.
    Why not close this proposal and state that any proposal similiar to this one should never be posted.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

I will abandon this proposal at this time.

​​

The House of Baltar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast